Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Fluffy

Re: Dangerously Chloe 5-03-18 Go to Your Room

Post by Fluffy »

Cortez wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:01 am
Fluffy wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:17 pm
Yes, but that contract said that he needed a genuine girlfriend in order for the contract to be nullified; not that the girl needed to be his one and only, forever.
By the way, should Teddy referring to Alchemy as his boyfriend nullify the contract? Or does have to be a girlfriend?
The girl/boyfriend probably has to be someone mortal or the relationship needs to be one of bonafide commitment (i.e. - no open relationship/side pieces, like Teddy current indulges in).
rakedan wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:29 am
I know I shouldn't be saying this, fictional character or not, but I wish Teddy had just died back then rather than transformed into a girl...
Don't feel bad about that - I'm actually hoping he dies after he injects himself with angel blood. :-??
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

christopheftw wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:05 am
This seems to be roughly set in the present. And most states have had no fault divorce for decades. Whether Lance cheated has zero relevance to his parenting abilities and whether he should be primary residential custodian (the trend is also to to award joint custody and often 50/50 time split). The system no longer favors women over men in general as parents but there are still broad pockets of lingering prejudice/outdated values where that may be true.
True that cheating is not relevant on parenting abilities, but i have a friend who is a divorce attorney, and he explained to me that cheating is used to favor his cases because he can make the point that the person was too busy cheating to take care of the kids (among other techniques), and in this case, Lance did leave the house with Vera leaving an unknown person in charge of the kids, of course we know that Chloe caused this but even if Lance knew this (which he doesn't) good luck proving that in court...
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

There's also the fact that - if he cheats once, he could do so again (i.e. - say he marries the person he cheated with, then cheats on the new spouse?) What kind of affect does it have on the kids when the cheating parent keeps changing spouses?

DocMesa

Post by DocMesa »

I think I've worked out where I've seen this comic before - it's essentially Dominic Deegan with succubi. That comic also careened all over the place and some of the characterisation left a high risk of permanent disfigurement from facepalming.....but for some reason I couldn't stop reading that one either.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

I loved Dominic Deegan. It had characters that reasoned their way out of problems.

DocMesa

Post by DocMesa »

Error of Logic wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:01 pm
I loved Dominic Deegan. It had characters that reasoned their way out of problems.
Unsure if sarcasm or not, so will respond with one single word that ruined a potentially wonderful bit of character development and set a new benchmark for oceanic predator vaulting:

"Abrakaboom"

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

I'm serious. I love Dominic Deegan. ^_^

DocMesa

Post by DocMesa »

Error of Logic wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:35 pm
I'm serious. I love Dominic Deegan. ^_^
I do like Dominic Deegan and DC. I just wish I knew why. >.>

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Fluffy wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:52 pm
There's also the fact that - if he cheats once, he could do so again (i.e. - say he marries the person he cheated with, then cheats on the new spouse?) What kind of affect does it have on the kids when the cheating parent keeps changing spouses?
That probably explains why he isn't with the Aunt anymore. That and when the succubus juice wore off she probably felt extremely guilty she betrayed her sister like that.
christopheftw wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:05 am
As noted above, the primary reason for this is meta: the absence of parental figures is essential to the plot. But her reaction is not outside the realm of human experience in divorce cases.
Pretty much.

Obviously the the parents aren't around for plot reasons, but it ends up making them look bad. The mother especially, because we haven't seen her contact her kids in the present day. Not even during Abby's birthday.

They tried to make Lance sympathetic(though it didn't really work for me), i just wish they would give their mother the same benefit. She thinks that Lance and her sister fooled around behind her back of their own free will. That must have felt horrible.

sparky

Post by sparky »

rakedan wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:29 am
I know I shouldn't be saying this, fictional character or not, but I wish Teddy had just died back then rather than transformed into a girl...
True, but the universe can be very cruel.

Zellgato

Post by Zellgato »

Gotoh wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:40 am
If Chloe wanted to take Abby someplace safe and find her help, she could've gone to see her mom. But it seems she's either forgotten about her mom's advice, or she's avoiding her for whatever reason.
....I really miss how she was in Eerie cuties and all that. Somehow I never got used to it in DC.
Maybe in my head she's still super young like them, even if I think? years passed for her in hell in comparison to her previous friends.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Cortez wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:32 pm
Fluffy wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:52 pm
That probably explains why he isn't with the Aunt anymore. That and when the succubus juice wore off she probably felt extremely guilty she betrayed her sister like that.
Can we guarantee that Lance isn't still with Vera, though? He was talking to someone on the phone before Pandora whammied him, after all - and both kids reacted strangely to the marriage announcement (Abby sounded confused and Teddy was outright furious to the point he forgot about his sex change - and I don't think it's necessarily because of who he married).

I also seriously hate this introduction - the way Lance talks about his kids makes it sound like he's just doing another chore; and the way it's phrased sounds like he wasn't going to be sticking around for as long as he ended up staying.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Fluffy wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:18 pm
I also seriously hate this introduction - the way Lance talks about his kids makes it sound like he's just doing another chore; and the way it's phrased sounds like he wasn't going to be sticking around
Nothing he said gave either indication.

"It's my baby girl's birthday" reads more like 'daddy's 'lil girl' and saying he needed to check in on them from time to time, is him being a responsible parent. That's reasonable for someone who's constantly on the road. The guy's a race car driver, he may not get many opportunities to visit.

I had a friend in highschool, who's dad was a trucker, and he was the same way. For most of the year, he was busy hauling state-to-state, but he took time off when he could (usually3-4 days, a week at most) in order to rest up and spend some time with his wife and their son. I get the same impression from Lance.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

If that's how you want to interpret it, feel free - the way I interpret it is that he's there for a quick visit to drop off a gift, make sure the kids aren't dead and then head back out; as - other than a ridiculously sized stuffed bunny - Lance isn't carrying anything else on his person. You'd think if he's going to be staying there longer than a couple of hours, he'd at least have a knapsack/carry on in hand.

This may be his house he's arriving at; but you'd think he'd at least be carrying whatever he takes with him on his racing tours in order to wash/replace them (speaking from experience, as my father was a commercial fisherman - meaning he'd be gone for weeks on end - and would always bring back his supplies with him when he'd come home for a visit to restock before heading back out).

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Fluffy wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:41 pm
If that's how you want to interpret it, feel free - the way I interpret it is that he's there for a quick visit to drop off a gift, make sure the kids aren't dead and then head back out.
We'll probably never know how long he was planning to stay, since he was whammied by Pandora. But it didn't sound like it was gonna be an in and out visit (imo).
Fluffy wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:41 pm
speaking from experience, as my father was a commercial fisherman - meaning he'd be gone for weeks on end - and would always bring back his supplies with him when he'd come home for a visit to restock before heading back out.
There's a difference between travelling a race car circuit and being out a sea. Carrying supplies aren't necessary when Lance can put up at a hotel, while he's away, and he can just as easily launder his race uniform or whatever before he takes time off to visit. There's no need to carry his belongings with him.

You don't have those same luxuries when you're out at sea.