Dangerously Chloe 25-12-17 Clothes Jumping Thingy

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Fluffy

Re: Dangerously Chloe 25-12-17 Clothes Jumping Thingy

Post by Fluffy »

gotoh wrote:If you saw two people do something that looked similar, or near identical, would you think, 'hey, I've seen someone else do that that before'? Or would you honestly think one was somehow "different"?

There's a reason for the saying, 'looks like a duck, quacks like a duck'. It isn't always accurate, but it usually isn't far off either.
In this case, it isn't a duck. This is what a few of us have been trying to get you to understand.

Succubus are capable of shapeshifting (physically altering their bodies to look different. When Chloe disguises herself as Teddy, she literally has to suck in her chest; which causes her great discomfort), while witches need to cast spells to alter their appearance (which is only an illusion and doesn't cause them any physical discomfort). The only time Chloe showed she could cast a glamor on anyone was when she was possessed by the Doompanties. After those were taken away from her, she lost that ability - as we haven;t seen it since. And Lord knows she's had ample opportunities to cast glamors, if she wanted to.

Such as the first time Teddy was accidentally turned into Chloe's twin (when she injected him with her blood to cure his cold - something he was not at all okay with), she could have easily cast a glamor on Teddy to make him appear as his normal self until the feminizing effects of the blood wore off. Instead, she went out of her way to transform herself into Teddy and posed as him until Teddy returned to normal.

If Chloe could cast glamors at this point in time; why wouldn't she have done so in that situation. She likes Teddy, even back then; and knew full well he wasn't at all happy with suddenly being a girl. So, what stopped her from casting a glamor to help him out back then?
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

X3N0-Life-Form

Post by X3N0-Life-Form »

EDIT - was originally responding to Gotoh

Well, I seriously doubt she was doing anything more than shapeshifting at any of those points I mentioned. It's more of a case of "looks like a parrot, quacks like a duck" : just because the end result looks the same, doesn't mean the means of achieving it is the same, given that we know for a fact that the powers of the characters we've seen do that work differently, and have seen no evidence so far that succubus have access to powers similar to Jacqui's glamour.

I'm not saying it's strictly speaking impossible, just that there's no evidence for it, and perhaps more importantly, no need for it. Succubi can already physically change their shape to a rather large extent, and have pheromones that can distract people away from imperfections in the shape shifting, why would they need glamour in addition to that ? In addition, this power has not formally been introduced, doing so would require the author to invest time in a panel to say "hey, Succubi can do glamour too", while 1) we're already at only two comics a week, even a single panel is costly, and 2) since it's never been formally used before, using it in that situation would come off as a cheap ass pull.

In any case, I'm mostly confused by your vehement defense of something that might have possibly been a way out of the current situation, despite said situation having now moved forward and said something having very little circumstances that could be interpreted as possible clues. Also, with no disrespect meant to the authors, this is a Pixie Trix webcomic, these tend to be rather straightforward in their narratives, I don't expect them to go "you thought [power X] was being used, but it was actually {power Y]", especially for something as minor as this, that doesn't bring anything new to the table except being a convenient way out of this very particular situation.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

X3N0-Life-Form wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:15 pm
In any case, I'm mostly confused by your vehement defense of something that might have possibly been a way out of the current situation, despite said situation having now moved forward and said something having very little circumstance.
Okay, for this post, I am playing devil's advocate, because what you and Fluffy are suggesting doesn't make sense. Think about it:

If *C-verse sucubi consciously shapeshift into whoever/whatever they think their victim wants, it'd be a flawed way to obtain nourishment and souls, because they'd first have to know who, or what the victim finds appealing. Simply flashing skin and good looks isn't going to cut it. We saw that much the first time Chloe tried to fulfill her contract with Teddy.

The guy wished for a girlfriend, not a quickie. And when she shifted into childfom, because she assumed he was a pedophile, he told her she was wrong. So if the succubus doesn't even know what her victim wants, how can she appeal to them?

Whereas if she used a glam similar to Jacqui's (i.e. based on the victim's subconscious desires), that would at least be plausible, since most people know their own kinks and who they find attractive.

However, in Purvis' case, I don't recall Chloe ever knowing he had an attraction to Layla. because Chloe was never present in any scene where Purvis came onto her. This was the closest instance we had, except Layla hauled *** before Purvis could try anything. So how did Chloe know about his infatuation with her? :-\

The glam explanation would make sense. It wouldn't require her to know who Purvis was attracted to, because his own subconscious desire would work in her favor.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

How does any demon know their would be victim's weaknesses? They're demons - they have their ways of finding out.

Besides, in Chloe's case, she was a high school students. Rumors flow like water in that setting. It wouldn't be in the least bit shocking if Chloe heard through the student grapevine that Purvis had a thing for Layla and used it to her advantage.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Fluffy wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:41 pm
It wouldn't be in the least bit shocking if Chloe heard through the student grapevine that Purvis had a thing for Layla and used it to her advantage.
If anything, the rumor around school would be that Purvis went after any girl with a pulse. In his first two appearances, his arm went after Nina (which Chloe was present for). Brooke even said it when she welcomed Nina to the "girls front row" club.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Doesn't make the possibility of a rumor of Purvis' obsession with Layla any less likely.

And, again, Chloe is a demon. Demons have ways of finding out information that isn't normally known to most others.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@Fluffy: It kinda does. Why would anyone single out Layla when they know any girl will do? Chloe could've walked into Purvis' office as-is and the outcome would've been the same. Even Laura was able to get him to bend the rules for her.

And if Chloe could just figure out his secret obsession somehow, then how is it that she didn't know what Teddy wanted?

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Because Purvis is attracted to Layla, maybe? Every time he sees her, he has to physically restrain his possessed hand from grabbing her. Chloe knowing this fact (and why wouldn't she, if the rumor around school was that he had the hots for Layla) used that fact to her advantage.

You don't see that happening when Laura is manipulating him. He's trying not to fall for the helpless child act; but his possessed hand isn't even flinching.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Fluffy wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:00 pm
Every time he sees her, he has to physically restrain his possessed hand from grabbing her.
...which Purvis also had to do twice with Nina, and apparently with all the other girls seated in the front row of the class. Hence, the "girls front row" club.
Fluffy wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:00 pm
Chloe knowing this fact
When? 'cuz weren't you the one who said: ↓↓ :-\
Fluffy wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:31 pm
Until it actually happens in the series - kindly stop trying to make it a thing.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

You used Laura as an example of how easy it is for a girl to manipulate Purvis - I explained why the situation was different when compared to how Chloe manipulated him (Laura used childish innocence to get what she wanted - Chloe flirted. Both were successful in getting what they wanted - but, while Purvis simply caved under Laura's innocent act, he had to physically restrain himself when 'Layla' laid on the charm. How are you unable to see the difference?)

And if Brooke is smart enough to know that Purvis has a thing for pretty girls; why would Chloe (or any student, for that matter) not know that he had a thing for Layla - the most popular girl in school? (again - monsters or not - these are high school kids, and gossip is the main form of communication among peers. Anyone who has ever attended high school knows how the rumor mill works. The odds of none of those kids knowing that Purvis was especially drawn to Layla are zero to none).

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@Fluffy: Alright, I'll concede on the part about Layla's popularity (I had actually forgotten to consider that). And perhaps she got wind of Purvis' attraction to her.

But that still doesn't explain why she bothered to transform. Chloe was seated at the front of the class too, so Purvis was also attracted to her. There's no reason she couldn't have used her aged up form to get him to greenlight her party.

And it still doesn't explain why her shapeshifting has the same shimmer effect as Jacqui's glamours. Yet, Rain (who's also a shapeshifter) doesn't. :-??

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Layla's been a main focus of interest for Purvis for seemingly years. Though Chloe was in the front row of his class, she wouldn't have to try too hard to get what she wanted from Purvis if she looked like Layla.

As for Rain - he's not a shapeshifter; as shapeshifters can become anyone/anything they want. Rain can only adjust his body mass to look more girly; but can't turn into a girl completely. Hence why he's always the last one to leave gym class - so he can avoid being discovered.

X3N0-Life-Form

Post by X3N0-Life-Form »

RE:Chloe transforming into Layla : From a narrative stand point, it could just have been a convenient way to show that Chloe's power had grown thanks to the doompanties - I don't recall her doing much shape shifting before that arc, and underline her manipulative edge even more - what's more impressive, getting what you want by pouring on the charm, or getting what you want by pouring on the charm and fooling the person into thinking you're somebody else.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

There's also the possibility that by transforming into Layla, Chloe had a scapegoat to fall back on if her plan fell through.

tau neutrino

Post by tau neutrino »

Chloe explained how she makes her horns disappear here. No glamour at all, not even any sparkles. Any comparisons to Jaqui are false.

If Chloe did use glamour to find her target's desire, then she wouldn't have transformed into a loli when she thought Teddy was a pedophile.

She probably turned into Layla to get permission for her party because Layla's the queen bee of Charybdis, with her beauty, personality, and wealthy parents.