Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Mandy

Re: Dangerously Chloe 6-11-17 Empty Calories

Post by Mandy »

Fluffy wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:38 pm
Mandy wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:26 pm
You must find acting enraged in the forums fun to keep coming back and reading the comic. Eh. You do you.
Like it or not, I'm in until this festering cesspool finally dies (or the writer takes the plot far enough into the squick zone that I walk out - and, given recent developments - it's just about there).

Just as people can come in here praise the comic, others have just as much right to voice their criticisms about it.
Eh, no one is stopping you from fussing. If I were in your shoes, I would rather be doing something with my time that I enjoy. But again, you do you.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Instead of taking your bait - I'm going to save myself the headache and just add you to my ignore list.

If my 'raging' bothers you that much, I suggest you do the same with me.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

otaku247

Post by otaku247 »

Fluffy wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:44 am
brasca wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:31 am
Personally, I don't think Chloe could really carry a story on her own which is why they introduced other characters some of whom are more interesting.
Oh, I agree on that front; however, seeing as the comic is named after Chloe, it would be nice to see her a little more often than the rare guest appearance used to prop up yet another Teddy/Pandora story line.
If it weren't for the all the problems Giselle listed I would love to see a spin-off with Naomi and Prudence, but I know that's just not meant to be. =((
Hell, there's no reason we couldn't see more of them in THIS comic; seeing as Naomi was stalking Teddy due to her suspicions he was an alien and Prudence is - effectively - her guardian angel. But, ever since Teddy's impromptu sex change, Naomi seems to have lost any and all interest in him; which is frustrating, seeing as she seemed to be one of the few (outside of Gabrielle and Tandy) who questioned how quickly Teddy could have gotten all this work done to himself - and healed - over a weekend.

Instead, it's been a year and a half focused on Teddy, Pandora and Abby.

You and others may find it interesting; many others find it drawn out and would love to see something new happen (and no, Abby becoming a succubus isn't cutting it).
Does anyone remember an Anime and Manga series called "Tenchi Muyo!!/No need for Tenchi!!"? I have several of the books from back when they came out originally (Not all of them, alas) and for quite a lot of the time the focus wasn't on Tenchi at all, it was on some of the supporting cast and their day to day wacky hijinx, and even more to the point the characters would often go through periods of selective stupidity, followed by quite deep maturity and emotional understanding, depending on what mood the author was in that issue (I used to collect the individual issues Viz published monthly back when our local comic store stocked them)
Now obviously given the name of the series the joke WAS that there was no need for Tenchi and was just an excuse to draw the other characters getting up to all sorts of cute yet unrelated adventures for the most part, but it does show that not always do the titular characters get the airtime, and that the supporting cast vary in intelligence and character integrity, and can have selective amnesia of the morality lessons they supposedly learnt earlier in the series.

That being said, this is a different comic series and I appreciate that other people are here for the narrative and not just the art, the latter of which is not doing enough to carry the lack of the former in their view.

Also, apologies for if this is going off topic.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

otaku247 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:25 pm
Does anyone remember an Anime and Manga series called "Tenchi Muyo!!/No need for Tenchi!!"? I have several of the books from back when they came out originally and for quite a lot of the time the focus wasn't on Tenchi at all, it was on some of the supporting cast
I never read the manga, but I've seen the anime several times and own Vols. 1&2 + all three movies on DVD. The anime differs by having Tenchi always be present in some capacity, even if it's only in a supporting role, or as an observer. Though lots of situations still get resolved with little to involvement on his part.

The only other series like it, that comes mind, is 'Maken-ki!'. The protagonist (Takeru) is handled in similar fashion to your manga example, where multiple chapters are spent on either Himegami (the female lead), or the supporting cast. But even then, it usually isn't for much longer than 4-5 chapters, before the narrative shifts back to either Takeru or Himegami.

In Chloe's case, it's been almost two years. But since I always found her to be a bland character, in both EC and her own comic, there isn't really anything to miss. My apologies to any of her fans. I'm not bashing her, I'm simply saying she's never stood out much (again, strictly my opinion).

otaku247

Post by otaku247 »

Gotoh wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:52 pm
I never read the manga, but I've seen the anime several times and own Vols. 1&2 + all three movies on DVD. The anime differs by having Tenchi always be present in some capacity, even if it's only in a supporting role, or as an observer. Though lots of situations still get resolved with little to involvement on his part.
True it was less evident in the Anime and it's alternative Tenchi Universe, but another similarity with here is what they did with one of the supporting characters - Sasami Jurai. I believe one of the artists was messing around with some doodles of her in what was clearly a similar type of getup that Sailor Moon wears including the cute pet sidekick, and someone higher up said it would make a good Anime series in its own right and Sasami became a breakaway character now in the Anime Pretty Sammi, and the character underwent some 'retooling' away from alien princess to typical japanese schoolgirl suddenly discovering they have a magic wand, powers and a talking cabbit.
I suppose its exposure to this kind of WTF-ery that makes me less sensitive to whats happening here with Chloe et al but I would rather there was a bit more consistency with established character personalities and behavior. (Again apologies if getting off-topicy again)

X3N0-Life-Form

Post by X3N0-Life-Form »

Well, it's alright to focus on characters other than the lead, even for extended length of time, as long as the story works without them. There's plenty of stories where the lead or title character is far from being the most interesting or developped character.

As I've said elsewhere, DC's biggest flaw isn't that we haven't seen the title character doing much of anything for a long time, it's that the story being told doesn't work. The jokes fall flat, the sexy times aren't all that sexy, the plot has been stagnating since forever ago and there are undertones that make a few people unconfortable.

I feel like we would all be much more forgiving if the story was giving us laughs or emotions. Since it lacks that, its flaws are all the more appearant.

brasca

Post by brasca »

If Tandy comes from a long line of demon slayers accidental gender switching is an occupation hazard her parents would be prepared to accept. I believe it happened to her cousin Ranma.