Dangerously Chloe 18-09-17 Banged Yo Mama

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Insectoid

Re: Dangerously Chloe 18-09-17 Banged Yo Mama

Post by Insectoid »

...probably Lucretia?
For those curious: my avatar is an artistic rendering of a spaceship I drew for a primitive (by today's standards) multiplayer online game called XPilot. (More about both on my website.)

Bzzz.

Varanus

Post by Varanus »

lordoffiling wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:18 pm
1) At no point has Pandora ever been portrayed as anything other than Chaotic Evil. This, along with everything else she's done, is totally in character for her. The first time we met her she switched places with Chloe to avoid being arrested, then immediately attempted to turn Teddy into lunch.
You sure? Because again, she has helped out, even when her help was more exposition than anything else (i.e. telling Teddy he is not a girl but a boy infused with reaper and succubus blood), or giving him the blood in the first place to save him from Chloe.

As for your examples, she switched places with Chloe because she believed Chloe would be freed as soon as the ruse was discovered, and made a plan to rescue her on her own once she found out it would take a long time. And its not like her feeding on Teddy would have killed him (remember she's not a virgin).

So no, Pandora has been portrayed as things other than evil at times.
Also we advanced the Teddi/Kimmy relationship, introduced some new characters, set up some potential future complications, etc.
New characters that we've been given no reason to care about, and a relationship advance that was presented as little more meaningful than the sexual favors Teddy has been handing out like candy.
3) Remember Elsa? How she and Teddy were going to do it "rodeo style" and what that involved? Pandora learned from the best.
Except all indications are that Pandora and Elsa do not get along and Pandora has no interest in the things Elsa wants to do (hence her avoiding the Valentines Day activities).

Zorlond

Post by Zorlond »

Derfman wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:15 pm
I love how people say things like, "I'm done"... "I hate Pandora" ... "Where is this comic going to" ... and yet 5 pages of comments... I think it is doing ok.
Clinging to the "There's no such thing as bad publicity" fallacy, I see. If the writer is doing the same, they need a serious wake-up call. You can't sustain this sort of trend, and once more people catch on (and the inevitably will), comments about it will drop as readers leave.

DehTommy

Post by DehTommy »

'J' wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:16 am
so, to all you people incessantly bitching and moaning about how the comic has lost its way, and ruined forever:

do you realize that this has only been one chapter?
In my opinion, the comic sort of grew a bit uncomfortable and weirdly raunchy with the Valentines' Day arc and has been gradually getting worse and worse ever since, so this hasn't really been "just one chapter" (to me at least). Still, I'm glad you and some others among here still get enjoyment from the book.

dmra

Post by dmra »

I'm no expert on the economics of the comic book industry but as I understand it the money for Pixie Trix comes from advertisers and selling books and merchandise.

It doesn't matter how many pages the comments get to it's clicks on the website and sales through Kickstarter/the store that bring in the money that makes it possible to publish the story and make a living.

If people stop clicking on the story or stop buying the books then that's less money for the creators. The forum posters may not be representative of the people clicking and buying but if the people complaining do represent a trend it's a brave creator or a rich one who can afford to ignore the people who bring the money.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Indeed. Seeing posters on boards or BTL comment spaces thinking that their opinions matter as such is kind of hilariously sad, really. If they reflect the mass of readers, and if they are seriously saying "I'm gonna stop reading this thing" (rather than "I hate this thing, and will keep coming here to say so"), then the creators might take them seriously as a warning sign -- but if enough of us keep coming, even if it's just to complain, we're money in the bank, and any complaints are just noise.

And we probably aren't representative of anything, because we're the weirdoes who can be bothered to post to these boards.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

dmra

Post by dmra »

Well there was the example years ago of changes being made to some EC pages because of the reaction but that was a long time ago and I can't remember anything similar since.

Whether that was because the creators decided to ignore comments or learnt to self censor to avoid them is another issue.

We do know though form the disappearing nudity that the opinions of advertisers do matter so some types of pressure do seem to be bowed to.

Dorgengoa
BANNED

Post by Dorgengoa »

Looks like Sandra's the only strip left that has any good will. Tune in a month from now, when they screw that one up as well.
This is getting out of hand.

Zorlond

Post by Zorlond »

Spidrift wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:00 pm
Indeed. Seeing posters on boards or BTL comment spaces thinking that their opinions matter as such is kind of hilariously sad, really. If they reflect the mass of readers, and if they are seriously saying "I'm gonna stop reading this thing" (rather than "I hate this thing, and will keep coming here to say so"), then the creators might take them seriously as a warning sign -- but if enough of us keep coming, even if it's just to complain, we're money in the bank, and any complaints are just noise.

And we probably aren't representative of anything, because we're the weirdoes who can be bothered to post to these boards.
You've pretty much described 'corporate meddling' to a T. We all know how that goes.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Spidrift wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:00 pm
Indeed. Seeing posters on boards or BTL comment spaces thinking that their opinions matter as such is kind of hilariously sad, really.
Oh really? Tell that to Adam Arnold, 'cuz he lost a significant portion of his readership and ad revenue, due to a particular story arc that was poorly received and widely criticized. It resulted in him having to skip an entire book to VC and he had to end the series prematurely.

Fan opinion matters more than you think.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Advertisers and corporate meddlers have serious money. Random discussion board posters don't. That is the difference that people seem weirdly to be ignoring.

Money talks.

(You may occasionally get the odd tweak when a mass of comments on the boards cause the creators to realise that there's been a serious failure of communication - that a given strip is wildly easy to misinterpret. That's fine, if the creators are serious enough to worry about miscommunication. But a mere assortment of complaints about things that are perfectly well communicated? Pfah. That's raw white noise, commercially unimportant and artistically irrelevant.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

rocthatisrolling

Post by rocthatisrolling »

Gotta say I *actually* laughed out loud when I saw the banner, the only part about this comic that ever gave me pause recently was reading the comments, and I think Pandora's hilarious.
After reading the comic I couldn't wait to see what you guys were all gonna make of it.
That said I would welcome a return to the Chloe/Teddy romance that made me start reading this comic to begin with.

PANDORA4LYFE!

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Pandora is a typical demoness, Her only morals are what amuse her

dmra

Post by dmra »

Spidrift wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:08 pm
Advertisers and corporate meddlers have serious money. Random discussion board posters don't. That is the difference that people seem weirdly to be ignoring.

Money talks.

If you want to make a living through being creative then odds are that you will have to have at least half an eye to giving the people what they want. Unless you can find a rich patron or sponsor you're going to have to get money out of people somehow. Whether that's through selling to them direct or turning them into a marketable commodity eg clicks for advertisers.

Just presenting your own artistic vision without being aware of the need to be popular enough to make the money you need to eat may be satisfying but unless you're either incredibly lucky, incredibly talented or have a very small appetite chances are you're going to go hungry a lot.

Which doesn't mean you should just go with what the loudest voices say you should be doing but it will usually pay to keep half an ear open for what the public are saying and be willing to adapt your vision accordingly.

I'm not sure how much flexibility the DC people have - and again they may have loads of data that shows the forum isn't representative of the customer base who are lapping recent story lines up - but if they are paying any attention at all to these forums we might see things getting more in line with teh type of story and the characters that drew people to the original comic.

Starphoenix

Post by Starphoenix »

To be honest, I've left a tab open in this forum simply because my hateboner for this comic demands it. The quality has seriously been declining for a while and it's just not all that fun anymore.

To those who rail that our opinions don't matter: Maybe, but to suggest that we stay silent about our dislike of the comic isn't helping either. I also remember when the comic underwent changes to its script when there was outcry over it. Given, that was more in line with making characters less horrible, which I don't think was the intention with Pandora.

I really do detest the character on a narrative level.
Pretty much here for the ****posting.

Last Dangerously Chloe Comic Read: 09/18/17