Dangerously Chloe 21-08-17 The Champagne Room

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Re: Dangerously Chloe 21-08-17 The Champagne Room

Post by 'J' »

first of all: a lot of crazy things can start to sound much, much more reasonable when you've got a pair of actual factual daemon chicks with demonstrable magic powers to back you up.

second: it's been years for us, but in-story it's probably been more on the order of a few weeks, or maybe a month or three at the most. remember, teddy & abby haven't changed grades or had summer vacation yet, there's been little or no visible change in seasonal weather, and as far as i can recall, there haven't been any holidays other than valentines day depicted.

but that actually raises a question: how much of a deadbeat is lance, anyway? i mean, we all assume that he's just left his kids to raise themselves, but if that were the case, why wouldn't they be living with their mother? things might make a lot more sense if he's only away sporadically, say, for a few weeks at a time, several times a year. previously he might have arranged for someone to take care of them, but this time decided they were mature enough to look after themselves for a few weeks.
Yet still, I live...

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

'J' wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:45 pm
first of all: a lot of crazy things can start to sound much, much more reasonable when you've got a pair of actual factual daemon chicks with demonstrable magic powers to back you up.

second: it's been years for us, but in-story it's probably been more on the order of a few weeks, or maybe a month or three at the most. remember, teddy & abby haven't changed grades or had summer vacation yet, there's been little or no visible change in seasonal weather, and as far as i can recall, there haven't been any holidays other than valentines day depicted.

but that actually raises a question: how much of a deadbeat is lance, anyway? i mean, we all assume that he's just left his kids to raise themselves, but if that were the case, why wouldn't they be living with their mother? things might make a lot more sense if he's only away sporadically, say, for a few weeks at a time, several times a year. previously he might have arranged for someone to take care of them, but this time decided they were mature enough to look after themselves for a few weeks.

Which makes Lance a grossly irresponsible parent.

A few days, a few weeks, a few months - doesn't matter how long he's gone for. No fifteen/sixteen year old can be considered mature enough to watch over his twelve year old sister; all the while attending school. Lance forced his son to become a parent to his sister while he raced cars. Hell, this recent visit is only him checking in because he's obligated to do so every once in awhile.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Varanus

Post by Varanus »

That's a bit of a exaggeration isn't it Fluffy? Some teens are indeed capable of such responsibilities if they have to be. A few days especially may not be a big deal depending on the situation.

And realistic or not, the "teens live without parents and are pretty ok with it" trope is a very common one.
Fluffy wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:10 am
That's a pretty weak excuse - as Lance is unaware that he's been enthralled by a succubus. So, as far as he's aware, he's consciously making out with a half naked woman in front of his kids and having noisy sex every night with her, with no regards to whether his kids overhear them, or not.

So, really - he's the last person to be judging anyone about anything.
I don't really see how Lance being unaware his mind is being manipulated equals him being responsible for his behavior with Pandora. My impression was she enthralled him to a degree that he doesn't question what he does with her, that it all seems normal and reasonable (heck he wasn't even disturbed by not knowing her name). We have no idea yet if an unaltered Lance would act the same way. Admittedly Pandora does seem to have left his mind alone in all matters that don't pertain to his interactions with her, so he is likely culpable for those matters.

ven

Post by ven »

You know, that's really great.

We have Teddy in this comic, a likeable guy, trying hist best to be a good big brother, trying to help the evil demon who tried to kill him on the first date, a guy so nice he lets some hellspawn like pandora live with them in their house. (She might not have left anyway but that's besides the point)

So we see this guy get crap and things always go from bad to worse.

On the other hand we get Zii in Ma3 who is a really unlikeable (insert degrading swear word for woman here), but she always gets what she wants and lives a happy life. Why are these comics so popular again?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Because people don't delude themselves that everything is black and white, let alone that life is fair?
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

ven wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:02 pm
You know, that's really great.

We have Teddy in this comic, a likeable guy, trying hist best to be a good big brother, trying to help the evil demon who tried to kill him on the first date, a guy so nice he lets some hellspawn like pandora live with them in their house. (She might not have left anyway but that's besides the point)

So we see this guy get crap and things always go from bad to worse.

On the other hand we get Zii in Ma3 who is a really unlikeable (insert degrading swear word for woman here), but she always gets what she wants and lives a happy life. Why are these comics so popular again?
I'm hoping for a big payoff down the line.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Alexander Collins wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:42 am
True, but this is the Pixie-verse. Explanations, reasoning and common sense are very rare.
Not true, unless you're referring to DC only, 'cuz there's been multiple instances of characters explaining things and exercising common sense in the other two *C-verse comics.

joe england

Post by joe england »

'J' wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:13 am
you are assuming a lot about lance's motives and thoughts based on the exactly three sentences he's said.
I'm not making assumptions, I'm reacting to the assumptions that I think other people are making. I did say, "Now, that might not be what he's doing. The comic may be throwing us for a loop, and his true motivation will become clear in the next few pages." I'm well aware that we don't have enough information to be certain of what's happening, this might just be another case of a comic page ending with a misleading moment for the sake of tension. It's why I went out of my way to stress terms like "apparent," "seem to be," "appears to be," and "perceived." Semantics tend to be a sticking point for me.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Varanus wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:26 pm
Some teens are indeed capable of such responsibilities if they have to be. A few days especially may not be a big deal depending on the situation.
True, it isn't unheard-of for teenagers to support themselves and their younger siblings (in RL), while they're still in highschool.
Varanus wrote:
And realistic or not, the "teens live without parents and are pretty ok with it" trope is a very common one.
Especially in anime and manga settings (see: "minor living alone" and "promotion to parent").

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Gotoh wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:38 pm
Varanus wrote:
Some teens are indeed capable of such responsibilities if they have to be. A few days especially may not be a big deal depending on the situation.
True, it isn't unheard-of for teenagers to support themselves and their younger siblings (in RL), while they're still in highschool.
Varanus wrote:
Especially in anime and manga settings (see: "minor living alone" and "promotion to parent").
I didn't mean it doesn't happen; I'm saying it shouldn't be that way. A teen is still a kid themselves; with their own struggles to deal with (schoolwork/social life/etc). It's hardly fair that the responsibility of raising their siblings falls on their shoulders because the parents are either working excessive hours or choose to live a carefree life, free of parental responsibility.

By what we've seen in this comic, Lance sounds like the latter kind of parents (doing his pwn thing, and periodically checking on his kids out of obligation). That doesn't sound like a responsible parent to me. The least he could do is have the kids stay with their mother or their Aunt. At least there would be a guardian to watch over them.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Fluffy wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:59 pm
I didn't mean it doesn't happen; I'm saying it shouldn't be that way. A teen is still a kid themselves; with their own struggles to deal with.
No argument there. I agree that it's huge responsibility for a teenager to handle.
Fluffy wrote:
By what we've seen in this comic, Lance sounds like the latter kind of parents (doing his pwn thing, and periodically checking on his kids out of obligation). That doesn't sound like a responsible parent to me.
Perhaps not, but we still haven't been told what Teddy's actual home situation is like. It's possible that Lance gives him an allotment to cover weekly/monthly expenses while he's away. :-??

For example: in 'Midori Days', Seiji's parents travel abroad and his older sister (Rin) lives with her boyfriend. But she drops by every other month or so to leave him enough cash to cover food and utilities. And in 'Bleach', Orihime lived on her own with support from her aunt, who lived in a different part of Japan. She would send Orihime what she needed, on the condition Orihime continued to do well at school (which she did).

It could be the same with Lance. Maybe his line of work requires him to travel a lot and he doesn't want to constantly shuffle his kids from one city to the next (which can potentially be stressful for them).
Fluffy wrote:
The least he could do is have the kids stay with their mother or their Aunt. At least there would be a guardian to watch over them.
That'd depend on what kind of people their mom or aunt are, or which of them has legal custody.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

It doesn't help Lance cheated on his wife with said aunt.
The kids' mother could raise a big ruckus if Lance tried to park the kids with her.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@Error of Logic: There's that too, but we can't really fault Lance for that, since that only happened due Chloe.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that was 100% his fault. (Though it's arguable whether Chloe revved up an existing urge or implanted a new one.)
But his ex-wife does not know that. From her perspective, her sister and her husband maliciously violated her marriage. She could argue to the court that her sister is potentially a bad influence on her kids and so stop Lance from parking the kids with her.

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

Ok....assuming this is NOT pandora giving crap to Teddy

WHY IS SHE STILL ALLOWED TO LIVE? when is it enough?

I mean ok...if not having her killed off after this Teddy should REALLY understand her "pranks" could not only ruin his life hut also his sister's as well because you know...she could not care less really.