Dangerously Chloe 10-08-17 Supposed to be Dead

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

edisnooM

Re: Dangerously Chloe 10-08-17 Supposed to be Dead

Post by edisnooM »

Honestly I'm sort of blurry on what the purpose of this arc is and where it's going. This comic has dipped into somewhat sketchy territory before, but never seemingly as a constant ongoing thing, but more as wacky hijinks, or one off gags.

But this arc has gone through a lot of really squicky territory, and not in the vein of the theoretical ethical debate of vampire / succubus feeding needs etc., but with things that have very real world parallels, which I'm not entirely sure the point of is. If it's meant to be comedic, for me at least it completely fails. And if it's meant to be serious, to be making some point, then I'm failing to see it unless it's that all the sketchy subject matter is perfectly acceptable, since in universe no one seems to care.

@brasca

Teddy is aware that the girls are fixated on him specifically, that they are not in their right minds, and we see pretty clearly from his first time with Daisy that Teddy is not "nobly" sacrificing himself but is apparently getting pleasure out of this as well. Knowing someone is under the influence of something affecting their judgement, but still accepting their advances anyway, regardless of passivity, is pretty dodgy.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Perhaps Teddi thinks they might go elsewhere and get really taken advantage of. Since she can't cure them this seems like the best alternative.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

brasca wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:54 pm
And you as always are blinded by your favoritism for Faith.
My stance has nothing to do with favoritism. The editor himself basically confirmed she didn't know, so it's stating a point in fact.
brasca wrote:
You do make one important point about Teddi knowing that they are under the influence of something, but how do you know Teddi is taking advantage.
You answered your own question, 'cuz it didn't stop him from sleeping with them and getting sexual gratification from it.
brasca wrote:Perhaps Teddy thinks they might go elsewhere and really get taken advantage of.
So you're saying it's better that he take advantage of them instead?

And how could he possibly think what you're suggesting when he knows they're fixated solely on him?

dmra

Post by dmra »

edisnooM wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:07 pm
Honestly I'm sort of blurry on what the purpose of this arc is and where it's going.
The cynic in me is inclined to think that the point of this arc is an attempt to draw out the story by moving it away from the original central narrative of a succubus trying to save her victim by finding him a girlfriend to save his soul even though she has clearly fallen for him herself.

The cynic in me also thinks that that means the people coming to this forum are giving the events and implications of this arc a lot more thought than the writers seem to have done.

Regardless of whether or not Teddy is abusing all or some of the people he's been having sexual adventures with the fact that he seems to be interacting sexually with a large proportion of the cast detracts somewhat from the love story element of the main story line. Being a succubus Chloe may be perfectly happy for Teddy to be getting it on with any number of partners but it doesn't say a lot for Teddy's feelings for Chloe. Particularly as none of the sex acts with the female cast members can even be excused as Teddy trying to find somebody who can sleep with Chloe and survive the experience.

As I said before it seems to me that "Dangerously Chloe" has effectively become an MA3 type sex comedy/farce with added supernatural elements and a rather pointless and not exactly original gender swap of yet another male character.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

:-??
edisnooM wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:06 am
You know when you look at it, it kind of seems like Teddy had about as much "choice" as his thralls did.
No, that's just insane logic. If you look at it objectively, you know that it was Teddi's choice. Teddy isn't a thrall, you're being ridiculous.
vampire hunter D wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:23 am

Considering he does not have an actual female reproductive system, I dont see how. (I'd link to the actual strip, but not sure how with the archive not working)
Here you go.

http://www.dangerouslychloe.com/strips- ... shaped_now
Gotoh wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:15 pm

As far as Faith knew, it was all her (i.e. no mental coercion necessary):
It seems you missed this part:
TCampbell wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:33 am

(And yes, I know that rapists do sometimes use shallow self-justifications like "She clearly wanted it, she was asking for it." In Faith's defense, no one she's actually slept with has come forth afterward claiming they were used or abused. But that isn't proof that Faith's use of her powers is proper.)
...Where he says Faith's use of her abilities to seduce people probably is still not proper.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Cortez wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:39 pm
It seems you missed this part:

...Where he says Faith's use of her abilities to seduce people probably is still not proper.
I'm pretty sure the last sentence wasn't in regard to seducing her fellow students, but more in general: such as her habit of popping into other people's heads. Hence, his opening paragraph:
TCampbell wrote:I think we did want to establish that Faith does have a code of conduct. She doesn't draw the line between "good conduct and "bad conduct" at the same places that you or I might. And she certainly doesn't think about the greay areas as much as she should. But she does have rules for herself, and for the most part, she sticks to them.
Which would be an example of "bad conduct," since we would consider that invasive. Whereas as she likely sees it as harmless (nothing wrong with making a psychic phonecall, right?). That's why context matters.

edisnooM

Post by edisnooM »

Cortez wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:39 pm
edisnooM wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:06 am
You know when you look at it, it kind of seems like Teddy had about as much "choice" as his thralls did.
No, that's just insane logic. If you look at it objectively, you know that it was Teddi's choice. Teddy isn't a thrall, you're being ridiculous.
So you're saying that the forced gender change (not his choice), and the seemingly by extension forced change of Teddy's gender identity / sexual orientation which seems to be undoubtedly affecting him, should in no way be considered when evaluating Teddy's judgement?

And that's leaving out the (somewhat baseless in my opinion) angry guilt trip from Alchemy that clearly made Teddy feel like he "owed" sex.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Gotoh wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:39 pm
brasca wrote:
And you as always are blinded by your favoritism for Faith.
My stance has nothing to do with favoritism. The editor himself basically confirmed she didn't know, so it's stating a point in fact.
brasca wrote:
You do make one important point about Teddi knowing that they are under the influence of something, but how do you know Teddi is taking advantage.
You answered your own question, 'cuz it didn't stop him from sleeping with them and getting sexual gratification from it.
brasca wrote:Perhaps Teddy thinks they might go elsewhere and really get taken advantage of.
So you're saying it's better that he take advantage of them instead?

And how could he possibly think what you're suggesting when he knows they're fixated solely on him?
I'm not saying what Teddi is doing is the best option. Even the writers state she's making things worse, but like Faith her heart is in the right place. If it wasn't she'd have willingly sacrificed the worst person available weeks ago. Moreover there's no one to help her understand these powers. Pandora is unreliable and Chloe has been sulking half the time. If there was they might also notice that Teddi isn't quite the same as Teddy and confront her. I think succubi and reaper blood has affected Teddy's physiology and mentality more than she thinks. So in conclusion I will say it again Teddi is no worse than Faith.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@brasca: This is going nowhere, so I'll disagree and leave it at that.
edisnooM wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:28 am
and the seemingly by extension forced change of Teddy's gender identity / sexual orientation
Pretty much. Teddy attributes it to the gender change, which he feels has been (quote): "a liberating experience". Question is, would he still feel that way had his gender not been changed?