Dangerously Chloe 6-07-17 I Need Discipline

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

tau neutrino

Re: Dangerously Chloe 6-07-17 I Need Discipline

Post by tau neutrino »

I hope no one on the forum starts claiming Lance is an abusive parent.

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

I don't think we're in any danger of that, although he's definitely a neglectful one, and it's a little late to start acting like a responsible one.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Yea, he's never around and Teddy and Abbie are pretty much by themselves and he only visits every once in awhile.

He's not physically abusive, but he is neglectful. Honestly, i wouldn't wonder why he bothered taking custody if he was never going to be around. Like, why not let his ex-wife have full custody?

Then again, some couples going through divorce see custody as a win/lose thing. Thankfully not all of them though.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Balancer wrote:A part of me is finding the shady stuff cringy but also validating because it's been a quite stark reminder that a) These creatures are classified as literal monsters by the rest of the world, and b) That hell is evil, like not even misunderstood, they are actually evil. After Erie Cuties and the early parts of this comic, well pretty much white washing that fact, it's nice (in an odd way) to be reminded that 9.9/10 these creatures are actually awful beings when the spotlight isn't on them and the comedy tropes aren't full force.
EC was all about pointing out that they're not bad. DC went a different route that said "Well, Succubus suck though."

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

...was it ever about pointing out that they're not bad? They're personable, and we rarely (not never) saw them harm anyone, but that doesn't mean they're not bad. I mean, hell, the first of the two recent EC stories says outright that the cute mermaid girl has a substantial body count.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Well, layla didn't kill the humans she fed on.

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

We never saw her do so. We did see her boyfriend beat one senseless and tie it to a tree.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

JoybuzzerX wrote:EC was all about that they're not bad.
It's more that not all cryptids are bad. Just as MC showed that not all AA students are necessarily "good".
Storm-forge mystique wrote:the first of the two recent EC stories says outright that the cute mermaid girl has a substantial body count.
No it didn't, it was never said how many victims there were and it was never said how many Marine was personally responsible for. Some of them may have simply been drowning victims (not unheard-of at beaches). All we have is Tiff's assumption.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Marine does confirm that she eats people, but you're right that we weren't given a solid body count.

edisnooM

Post by edisnooM »

Cortez wrote:Yea, he's never around and Teddy and Abbie are pretty much by themselves and he only visits every once in awhile.

He's not physically abusive, but he is neglectful. Honestly, i wouldn't wonder why he bothered taking custody if he was never going to be around. Like, why not let his ex-wife have full custody?

Then again, some couples going through divorce see custody as a win/lose thing. Thankfully not all of them though.
I had kind of wondered if maybe Lance holds himself responsible for breaking up his marriage, not realizing what caused him to have the affair, and if that's the case maybe that's why he stayed away, out of some form of guilt.

I had thought it might have been interesting if he brought it up when talking to "Teddy" to see how Chloe would react.

On the EC discussion it did seem to be trying, "humanize" or "normalize", if that's the right word (maybe modernize?), the fantastical and mythological. You know high school, family dynamics, social problems, etc, etc. I mean certain aspects such as vampires feeding and such are certainly questionable, but from what I recall it seemed like it was never lethal and more for survival? There also still seemed to be rules and whatnot and not a free for all of fluid morality.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

edisnooM wrote:On the EC discussion it did seem certain aspects such as vampires feeding and such are certainly questionable, but from what I recall it seemed like it was never lethal and more for survival?
Layla basically said that when Faith cornered her: "Look, I eat what I have to, when I have to just like anyone."

Which is why her dad was concerned whether Quintessa would be able to adjust to how things had changed, as far as feedings (i.e. because vampires no longer kill). And a bonus strip in Vol.4 shows Layla feeds on Tiff on a regular basis, though the blood loss has been affecting Tiff enough that her mom took her to a clinic for a checkup.

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

Cortez wrote:Yea, he's never around and Teddy and Abbie are pretty much by themselves and he only visits every once in awhile.

I think less neglectful parent and more that DC is following the manga trope of High school teenagers basically living on their own with their parents either being dead or just never appearing. I'm not sure if this represents something in Japanese culture or if its just more convenient if authority figures aren't around to put a halt to the wacky high-jinks.

FuzzyFace

Post by FuzzyFace »

I expect it's more the latter; it simplifies the writing. I don't think Manga is particularly reflective of Japanese culture.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Storm-forge mystique wrote:...was it ever about pointing out that they're not bad? They're personable, and we rarely (not never) saw them harm anyone, but that doesn't mean they're not bad. I mean, hell, the first of the two recent EC stories says outright that the cute mermaid girl has a substantial body count.
Yes it was pointed out. However, that's still besides the point.

Chloe has been in the human world long enough, and with other cryptids long enough, to know what she's doing, is not normal in human society or with Teddy.

tau neutrino

Post by tau neutrino »

LegendaryKroc wrote:I don't think we're in any danger of that, although he's definitely a neglectful one, and it's a little late to start acting like a responsible one.
I was thinking of Mrs. Hartley in VC, who got tarred as an abusive parent when she got mad at her daughter. Thinking about it, the only parents in the C-universe I've seen that hold to the "parent not a pal" philosophy and discipline their children are the Delacroixs. Maria even inflicts physical discipline.
Last edited by tau neutrino on Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.