Dangerously Chloe 16-03-17 For Her Own Sake

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Re: Dangerously Chloe 16-03-17 For Her Own Sake

Postby Cortez » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:20 am

Gotoh, remember Gabby's reaction to the possibility that Naomi might be "bi-curious".

http://www.dangerouslychloe.com/strips- ... the_school

brasca wrote:
Helen Tomalin would gladly trade places with Naomi


"Grass is always greener" and all that. One form of Parental abuse doesn't make another less bad. Besides we are talking about Naomi, Helen is irrelevant here.

It's not a competition, you can't make light of another's suffering.

And it wasn't a joke. Like I said, "You're the son/daughter i've always wanted" has been used either to show a heartwarming moment between an adult who has no children of their to someone younger they bonded with or to show how someone is a terrible parent to the child they already have, no in between.

We have been shown plenty of evidence that Naomi's parents are neglectful, especially emotionally. Which is probably why she uses Sci-Fi films and the whole alien thing as an escape.


And what makes you think Naomi was raised by the TV? She doesn't seem like a couch potato. If you are referring to her belief in aliens well there are a lot of people who believe and it's not like her conclusion is completely half-baked considering what she's witnessed.


Think about it for a second. It's not the fact that she believes in aliens, it's the fact that she thinks Teddy is a specific shapeshifting alien species from a B-Movie she watched, remember?

There's a world of difference from thinking aliens are real, to thinking Kryptonians are real. The latter would mean thinking a fictional alien species is real.

Being open to the possibility of extraterrestrial life doesn't mean believing the Klingons are real.

If Naomi's parents did actual parenting, this wouldn't be an issue.

And you never answered my question as to how should Gabrielle go about courting Naomi.


Not picking on her? Tell her how she feels like a normal person? It's not that complicated.

And if she doesn't feel the same way, move on.
Last edited by Cortez on Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Cortez
 
Posts: 1657
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:53 am

Re: Dangerously Chloe 16-03-17 For Her Own Sake

Postby vampire hunter D » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:43 am

Does she know that yet?
Pointless arguing is one of the three pillars upon which the Internet is built. The other two are of course cat pictures and porn.
User avatar
vampire hunter D
 
Posts: 3694
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:19 pm
Location: Jasoom

Re: Dangerously Chloe 16-03-17 For Her Own Sake

Postby Cortez » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:38 am

That fictional extraterrestrials aren't real? Doesn't seem like it.
User avatar
Cortez
 
Posts: 1657
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:53 am

Re: Dangerously Chloe 16-03-17 For Her Own Sake

Postby brasca » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:02 pm

Cortez wrote:
brasca wrote:
Helen Tomalin would gladly trade places with Naomi


"Grass is always greener" and all that. One form of Parental abuse doesn't make another less bad. Besides we are talking about Naomi, Helen is irrelevant here.

It's not a competition, you can't make light of another's suffering.


You're right except I would hardly consider what Naomi goes through as an abusive home environment.

Cortez wrote:And it wasn't a joke. Like I said, "You're the son/daughter i've always wanted" has been used either to show a heartwarming moment between an adult who has no children of their to someone younger they bonded with or to show how someone is a terrible parent to the child they already have, no in between.


Have you seen any sitcoms since the 1960s Cortez? I could totally see Homer Simpson saying that to Bart or Rosanne Conner to any of her kids and especially Lois Whateverhersurnamewas on Malcolm in the Middle. Context is everything. If this was just after a serious traumatic event then I would agree with you, but it looks like Gabrielle is spending some quality time with her foster parents and they are pleased to have the company.

Cortez wrote:We have been shown plenty of evidence that Naomi's parents are neglectful, especially emotionally. Which is probably why she uses Sci-Fi films and the whole alien thing as an escape.


No we haven't. Naomi's folks have only appeared in 4 strips and there is no indication that they are emotionally neglectful. And while I don't have concrete evidence I still insist it is the other way around to a lesser extent. Naomi has an active social life and they don't get to see her as often so that's probably why they've come to appreciate Gabrielle. You might notice them getting along well with Prudence here.http://www.dangerouslychloe.com/strips-dc/prudenthf

Cortez wrote:
brasca wrote:And what makes you think Naomi was raised by the TV? She doesn't seem like a couch potato. If you are referring to her belief in aliens well there are a lot of people who believe and it's not like her conclusion is completely half-baked considering what she's witnessed.


Think about it for a second. It's not the fact that she believes in aliens, it's the fact that she thinks Teddy is a specific shapeshifting alien species from a B-Movie she watched, remember?

There's a world of difference from thinking aliens are real, to thinking Kryptonians are real. The latter would mean thinking a fictional alien species is real.

Being open to the possibility of extraterrestrial life doesn't mean believing the Klingons are real.

If Naomi's parents did actual parenting, this wouldn't be an issue.


Then you would probably be criticizing them for stifling her imagination. Naomi is a smart girl and may have a future as an investigator or journalist, but I see no evidence that she lives in a fantasy world. As for the sci-fi escapism Naomi and Teddy just happened to see a movie that gave her the spark of inspiration that all of the unusual things she observed must be alien related. If they saw The DaVinci Code she might've come to the right conclusion. Moreover, there is no way Naomi could be as popular as she is at her high school if she were a sci-fi geek. If that were cool then Teddy wouldn't be a social leper.

Cortez wrote:
brasca wrote:And you never answered my question as to how should Gabrielle go about courting Naomi.


Not picking on her? Tell her how she feels like a normal person? It's not that complicated.

And if she doesn't feel the same way, move on.


Well thank you for answering my question. Perhaps Gabrielle has fallen into a trap where at first she tormented Naomi to get her attention, but every time she tries to call it off and approach her maturely it falls through and she goes back to what's most familiar. Seriously if Gabrielle attempted to have a heart to heart talk about her feelings do you think Naomi would believe her? It's also possible that her interest in Naomi has changed since Prudence started living with them. A lot of highly unusual things have occurred and Gabrielle is too experienced to dismiss it all as just a coincidence. Now she's got some conclusive proof of something beeg.

It remains to be seen if Gabrielle has a crush on Naomi or expresses sisterly affection through antagonism, but neither she nor Naomi's parents are the monsters you make them out to be.
User avatar
brasca
 
Posts: 2775
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:04 am

Re: Dangerously Chloe 16-03-17 For Her Own Sake

Postby Gotoh » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:09 pm

Cortez wrote:Gotoh, remember Gabby's reaction to the possibility that Naomi might be "bi-curious"


Faith said the same thing (last panel, here) when Sandi couldn't find any intel on the wand. But you're not gonna assume she was crushing on an inanimate object, just because of that, are you?

brasca wrote:Have you seen any sitcoms since the 1960s Cortez?


I've been wondering the same thing. I've seen anime where siblings have done worse to each other, as well as series where kids have literally fought with their parents, and they're each portrayed comically.
Gotoh
 
Posts: 3349
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:18 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 16-03-17 For Her Own Sake

Postby Cortez » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:45 pm

brasca wrote:[

You're right except I would hardly consider what Naomi goes through as an abusive home environment.


Then no offense, but it sounds like you don't understand there are various forms of Parental abuse.

Cortez wrote:And it wasn't a joke. Like I said, "You're the son/daughter i've always wanted" has been used either to show a heartwarming moment between an adult who has no children of their to someone younger they bonded with or to show how someone is a terrible parent to the child they already have, no in between.


If this was just after a serious traumatic event then I would agree with you, but it looks like Gabrielle is spending some quality time with her foster parents
.

Over their biological daughter, which is the important part and the problem. And if Homer is best counter you got, you clearly don't watch the show. Since it's frequently lampshaded that Homer is not the best father figure. What's next, Peter Griffin?

Give me an example with Hank Hill, then we'll talk.



No we haven't.

Yes we have. We've seen that they not show their biological daughter any affection and you'very yet to show evidence to the contrary.

Everything we've seen show they do not pay attention to Naomi.

You might notice them getting along well with Prudence


Which proves what exactly? Prudence isn't Naomi.


Then you would probably be criticizing them for stifling her imagination.


No, because pointing out that fiction is make believe isn't stifling imagination, that's ridiculous.

As for the sci-fi escapism Naomi and Teddy just happened to see a movie that gave her the spark of inspiration that all of the unusual things she observed must be alien related.


Except again, she's basing all her "alien facts" from this film. Like the "gender matrix" and so on.

If they saw The DaVinci Code she might've come to the right conclusion.


Except for the fact she clearly dismisses Angels and Demons as fake, rather ironically.

Moreover, there is no way Naomi could be as popular as she is at her high school if she were a sci-fi geek. If that were cool then Teddy wouldn't be a social leper.


That would assume she'd be open about her geeky hobbies. Besides, remember that she was the one that picked out the Killer Bikini Babe's from space film in the first place.


Seriously if Gabrielle attempted to have a heart to heart talk about her feelings do you think Naomi would believe her?


And who's fault would that be? If Gabby had been nicer to Naomi, it wouldn't be an issue.

Gotoh wrote:Faith said the same thing (last panel, here) when Sandi couldn't find any intel on the wand. But you're not gonna assume she was crushing on an inanimate object, just because of that, are you?



Freaking where? Where does she says what Gabby says, which is "So Naomi is Bi-Curious? I knew it! How very interesting".

Because none of those words show up in the strip you linked to and just seems like you are ignoring the presented.
User avatar
Cortez
 
Posts: 1657
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:53 am

Re: Dangerously Chloe 16-03-17 For Her Own Sake

Postby Gotoh » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:31 pm

Cortez wrote:if Homer is best counter you got, you clearly don't watch the show. Since it's frequently lampshaded that Homer is not the best father figure. What's next, Peter Griffin?


How about Mr. Bueller then?

Mr. Bueller: "What's wrong, honey?"
Mrs. Bueller:(petulantly) "I just picked up Jeanie from the police station. She got two speeding tickets and it cost me the Vermont account."
Mr. Bueller: "We should shoot her."

So should we assume from that bit of dialog that they're bad parents, who hate their daughter enough to say something like that about her? Or do we take the joke for what it is? 'cuz anyone who's seen 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' can tell you the Buellers were anything but. They were shown to be loving, attentive, and supportive of both their kids, despite showing favoritism towards Ferris.

Cortez wrote:Freaking where? Where does she says what Gabby says, which is "So Naomi is Bi-Curious? I knew it! How very interesting".

Because none of those words show up in the strip you linked to and just seems like you are ignoring the presented.


I'm not talking about exact words, I'm talking about context.

Finding out Naomi might be bi-curious piqued Gabrielle's interest, the same way finding out the wand was encrypted piqued Faith's interest. Neither one has anything to do with attraction. It was simply a new bit of information for both of them to work with.
Gotoh
 
Posts: 3349
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:18 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 16-03-17 For Her Own Sake

Postby brasca » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:29 am

Cortez wrote:Over their biological daughter, which is the important part and the problem. And if Homer is best counter you got, you clearly don't watch the show. Since it's frequently lampshaded that Homer is not the best father figure. What's next, Peter Griffin?

Give me an example with Hank Hill, then we'll talk.


Yes, about Hank Hill. Do you recall what he would frequently say when exasperated by Bobby Hill? "That boy ain't right." Does that sound very nurturing to you? Of course I don't think anything less of Hank Hill because that's a realistic enough thing for a father to say. Here's another and I find it more apropos for this situation. That 70's Show Red Foreman. Sure he calls Eric a dumbass frequently enough, but he cares about his son and I recall in one episode where they just took in Steven Hyde because his family abandoned him that he and Red were getting along so well that it bothered Eric. Then Hyde called him out on his complaining because even though Red was a hardass he at least cared about his son's well being and future. Perhaps we'll get a scene where Gabrielle tells her Naomi if she's so upset about her stealing her family then maybe she should spend some time with them.
User avatar
brasca
 
Posts: 2775
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:04 am

Re: Dangerously Chloe 16-03-17 For Her Own Sake

Postby Cortez » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:48 am

brasca wrote:[

Yes, about Hank Hill. Do you recall what he would frequently say when exasperated by Bobby Hill? "That boy ain't right."


Never to his face and unlike Homer. Plus Hank always learned an aesop about it's OK that his son is different from what he was.

For that matter, the show always showed how Hank was a better father than Cotton Hill was. Who said horrible things about Hank in Hank's presence and to his face.

So you know, world of difference. So what is your point exactly? You just showed why Hank is a better father than your other examples.

As for Naomi's parents, so far they seem almost as bad as the Wormwoods from Matilda. Though they at least came to realize Miss Honey was a better parent for Matilda than they were.

Gotoh wrote:[

I'm not talking about exact words, I'm talking about context.



And the context aren't even remotely the same, neither is the situation. So your example means nothing, since it's clearly not a similar situation.

One is talking about an object, the other about Gabby learning the person she's obsessed with might be bi curious. Surely the difference is obvious for anyone to see.

I've seen anime where siblings have done worse to each other


Like Michiko & Hatchin? Because last i remember, they portrayed Hatchin's abusive foster family as bad people and Michiko taking her away from that as the best thing to happen to Hatchin.
User avatar
Cortez
 
Posts: 1657
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:53 am

Re: Dangerously Chloe 16-03-17 For Her Own Sake

Postby Storm-forge mystique » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:17 am

...since I'm pretty sure it's in the heads of all the posters on the last page or so, someone had to post it.
User avatar
Storm-forge mystique
 
Posts: 2063
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:34 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 16-03-17 For Her Own Sake

Postby wiseguy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:39 am

oh you mean this?? http://www.dangerouslychloe.com/comics/dc20170320.png or is the Little Mr. Hill pages what you meant?
ImageImage
User avatar
wiseguy
 
Posts: 4028
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:34 am
Location: California

Re: Dangerously Chloe 16-03-17 For Her Own Sake

Postby Don Alexander » Sun May 07, 2017 4:47 pm

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOBOOBS!!! @-)

Dorgengoa wrote:She didn't think this out at all. The better option would have been to say "Hey, Naomi. I'm sorry for all the mean stuff I've done. To make up for it, I've brought Teddi over for an apology threesome." Problem solved, roll credits.

Wait, no, no, noooo!!!

Unless, of course, there's an extensive post-credits scene! :x
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)
User avatar
Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
 
Posts: 27298
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:26 am
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Previous

Return to Eerie Cuties / Magick Chicks / Dangerously Chloe

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest