Dangerously Chloe 30-01-17 Being Heroic

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

brasca

Re: Dangerously Chloe 30-01-17 Being Heroic

Post by brasca »

wiseguy wrote:I thought it was established she "pretends the accent", she can speak "regular English" when she wants to, or does it when it is a sudden response to an unexpected situation and forgets to add the accent
I don't know where that was established, but maybe she really isn't French, but Russian and her big sister is none other than Tatiana! :-o

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

'J' wrote:why do people assume that 'Hero = Good'?
Have you ever heard of an evil good guy? :-\

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

Yet still, I live...

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@J: Yeah... no. :-Q

Dexter's a serial killer and has plainly admitted it to at least two of his victims.
Last edited by Gotoh on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

none of which changes the fact that he is the hero of that show
Yet still, I live...

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@J: No, he isn't. If he was a hero, he wouldn't fear imprisonment, nor would he have hide the truth about what he is from his friends and loved ones. Dexter's a Villain Protagonist.

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

I believe the term for a hero who is not good, is "anti-hero." :-?

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@BlairFan: That's a hero who either:
  • A. commits morally questionable acts, some of which can border on outright villainous (such as how Batman's actions are ofttimes called into question).
  • B. the classic anti-hero archetype, which shows heroism has its downsides (i.e. Peter Parker, Cloud Strife, etc.)
Dexter doesn't fall under either category, he flat-out admits that he's a monster and killer.

X3N0-Life-Form

Post by X3N0-Life-Form »

There's a difference between being a main character (protagonist) and being a hero.

Hyper Magi

Post by Hyper Magi »

Gotoh wrote:
I know this doesn't count, but in Heroes of the Storm the likes of Arthas and Diablo are called "Heroes". :P

Otherwise the only thing I can think of are characters who the story tells you are "heroes", but looking at their actions tells you different.

Though even then the examples I can think of (Glinda the Good Witch from The Wizard of Oz, Ferris Bueller from Ferris Bueller's Day Off, the main characters from Twilight) are mostly ambiguous. Bueller is at worst a jerk as opposed to actually evil.
Sparking now, search within your soul to find the answer!
Push yourself to the edge, give 1000%!

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

I think the right term for Gabrielle and folks like her would be "Heroic Jerk".
She's not an anti-hero. Anti-heroes believe they are doing the right thing, but their methods are questionable or they have personality flaws that mitigate some of the good they do.
She's not a "Designated hero", I really don't think that Dave expects us to like her.
She reminds me of Vegeta, he helps out the heroes, but that's mostly because he has vested interest in doing so (his wife and kid). Otherwise, he fights evil because he likes to fight and hanging with Goku gives him plenty of opportunities to do so. There are a lot of supporting characters like that in anime/manga. They don't have hearts of gold, they're just not evil.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

ghost rider is not really nice

Dr doom feels he is a hero to his people

La of Opal thinks she is nice

but no one beats "being evil" when they think they doing good as Elmyra
ImageImage

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Gotoh wrote:
Yes actually, there are several tropes on that.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Lokitsu wrote:I think the right term for Gabrielle and folks like her would be "Heroic Jerk".

I really don't think that Dave expects us to like her.
I'd be more than a little skeptical about that, since she hasn't done anything to makes us not like her.

Mel's done worse than anything Gabrielle's tried thus far, yet Mel still has fans. Whereas the most Gabrielle's done is torment her foster sister (again, typical sitcom sibling behavior). I can't be the only one who finds that skewed.
Cortez wrote:Yes actually, there are several tropes on that.
Such as...? :-\

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

While I don't know the names of the tropes involved, I do know of several examples of evil heroes (evil good guys sounds silly). Harry Callaghan of the Dirty Harry series is definitely the protagonist and is usually considered the hero by fans of the series. BUT, if you look at him objectively, the man is a bloodthirsty sadist who would rather kill criminals than let them go to trial. In real life, his record would've resulted in the loss of his badge and probably a long jail term. A similar case is the "hero" of the Death Wish movies. You're supposed to sympathize with his tragic backstory and even cheer him on as he slaughters his way through entire street gangs, but he's really a serial killer with more in common with Dexter than with any "good guy".