Dangerously Chloe 30-01-17 Being Heroic

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Gotoh

Re: Dangerously Chloe 30-01-17 Being Heroic

Post by Gotoh »

@Lokitsu: Dirty Harry wasn't evil, he was an extremist. He served the law, but knew in most cases, that the law wouldn't stick. The cons they convicted would be back on the street conducting business as usual. So he started acting as judge, jury, and executioner to ensure that it didn't happen.

Was he justified? No. But it didn't make him any less of a hero, since his superiors understood his motives and his intentions, despite not approving of his actions.

The closest example I can think of, would be Saeko's character from 'Highschool of the Dead'. She was a full-blown sadist and admitted to it when she recounted having beaten her would-be rapist within an inch of his life. When Takashi said it was self-defense, Saeko told him self-defense ha nothing to do with it.

Saeko didn't care that the guy had tried to rape her, all that mattered (to her) was that it gave her an excuse to bludgeon someone to near death and she enjoyed it. She said it was when she discovered the "real" her. Like Dexter, Saeko does not pretend to be a heroine. She'e perfectly aware of what she is.

Hyper Magi

Post by Hyper Magi »

"Nominal Hero" perhaps?

The character is on the side of good but their motivations aren't necessary heroic.
Sparking now, search within your soul to find the answer!
Push yourself to the edge, give 1000%!

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

in marvel comics, the punisher

we also had for a while one of the green lanterns

in DC Azrael took over Batman when Bruce Wayne got injured, and made punisher look like an angel

Ras Al Ghul feels he is doing the right things to save mankind
ImageImage

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

wiseguy wrote:in marvel comics, the punisher
Punisher is a bad example, because he isn't seen as heroic either. Other heroes have called him out for needlessly killing his targets and some (like Daredevil) have even tried to stop him.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Batman as he was originally written by Bill Finger.

*Finger said, "Batman was originally written in the style of the pulps, and this influence was evident with Batman showing little remorse over killing or maiming criminals."

*Daniels, Les (1999). Batman: The Complete History. Chronicle Books. ISBN 978-0-8118-2470-5.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

A hero who's willing to kill, and shows little pity for proven enemies, is a bit dark by modern standards, but hardly unusual, historically, and not necessarily even an anti-hero. (In war stories, it's pretty much a necessary norm.) But a character who shows minimal empathy for anyone, even innocents, is indeed willing to watch innocents get hurt in order to test a theory, and enjoys using torture, is way off into anti-heroic territory even by historic standards.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Spidrift wrote:But a character who shows minimal empathy for anyone
...except we've seen her empathize with others on two occasions: she consolled Callista (after Cerise dumped her, during her mass murder attempt). And she confided in Tandy that Mel might not've been as shallow as they initially thought.
Spidrift wrote:is indeed willing to watch innocents get hurt in order to test a theory
Said "innocent" provoked her attackers by lipping off twice during the incident. Not to mention, putting him/herself in that situation to begin with, due to lack of forethought.
Spidrift wrote:and enjoys using torture,
The idea appeals to her, but she's ben denied the opportunity every time. The worst she's done, so far, is use truth serum. She's been as harmless as a KAOS agent*

note: That's a Get Smart!' reference, for anyone who never saw the show.

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

wiseguy wrote:I thought it was established she "pretends the accent", she can speak "regular English" when she wants to, or does it when it is a sudden response to an unexpected situation and forgets to add the accent
Wiseguy. I did some amateurish (;) ) research, and I found an instance of Gabrielle thinking to herself, and it showed only one word having a change of spelling. owing to her accent. I think. therefore, that she exaggerates her accent, but she can't speak completely speak accent-free English. (At least not yet.) :-?

Cresset

Post by Cresset »

Haven't read Magick Chicks yet so I assume needles and pigtails aren't affected by the pheromones because they're mahou shoujos with huge magic resistance. I wonder if it should be called pheromones if it's basically demonic magic. Hmm...
Hyper Magi wrote:
Gotoh wrote:
'J' wrote:why do people assume that 'Hero = Good'?
Have you ever heard of an evil good guy? :-\
I know this doesn't count, but in Heroes of the Storm the likes of Arthas and Diablo are called "Heroes". :P
Probably using the old meaning of the word as a person responsible for awesome feats, not necessarily nice.

(Or the developers just wanted a word that sounded similar to "Champions")