Dangerously Chloe 20-10-16 Not a light switch

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Varanus

Re: Dangerously Chloe 20-10-16 Not a light switch

Post by Varanus »

DocMesa wrote:Yes, I get that Chloe's life is on the line but I would never demand someone change a core part of themselves for my own convenience.
But its not for convenience here is it? Or were you not claiming that?

Anyway, Alchemy herself named "how she's feeling" as one of the triggers for the change, as well as "how she is perceived by others." Both sound like things that could be consciously manipulated to some degree so why didn't she even offer those as options?

Then again I also question if "gender fluid" is really an accurate term for her if she literally turns into the male sex in every sense of the word (genetically, physically, functionally). Gender identity and what sex you are are usually two different things after all.

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

Great. Now Alchemy is running in high heels on pebbles, carrying a big, sharp scythe. I think she's cruising for a bruising. :-?

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

Zorlond wrote:Pebbles and twigs? Pfft, lightweight. Go walk barefoot outside after a heavy snowfall.
Try a pasture with thistles/briars,bullpucks and whatnot. :p
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.
And to keep for future reference: Image

ATheok

Post by ATheok »

Varanus wrote:
Does anyone have any insights on why Alchemy is taking this so personally? What was so hurtful about Teddy pleading with her to find a way to change form to save Chloe? I consider myself a quite emotional and sensitive person, but I just don't get her reaction... but maybe that is purposeful on the writer's part. Then again I am not easily offended either as I try to consider other points of view when I feel insulted.
I'll try a guess; As Kamino Neko suggests above, it has to do with Alchemy's self identification.
It's not only the desire to be and stay female, but also the desire to be Teddy's female companion. Kimmy does not want to harm the illusion of Teddy/Kimmy male/female long term couple relationship.
Unlike Chloe, we have not been privy to any Alchemy day dreams where she imagines a couple rather than a lonely isolated reaper. Kimmy's comments though are illuminating.
When they met. Alchemy goes from "Stop looking at my butt" to "Are you interested in me" to "I can visit you in hell"
http://www.dangerouslychloe.com/strips- ... come_death
http://www.dangerouslychloe.com/strips- ... embodiment

"A thing going with a soul she is trying to reap"
http://www.dangerouslychloe.com/strips-dc/stop_staring

"I wish Teddy would be so bold" "Theodore DeCarlo, I have come for you; and brought you some muffins"
http://www.dangerouslychloe.com/strips- ... east_in_me

"Don't panic"
http://www.dangerouslychloe.com/strips-dc/just_a_dream

Alchemy is lonely, she has, currently, chosen which gender she want to be and is very interested in a real relationship. Her concept of being in a relationship leaped amazingly from nebulous intro to full fledged already existing relationship.
Just Alchemy happening to be standing on Teddy's ceiling watching him sleep is rather definitive. If it isn't an existing relationship, then she is stalking Teddy. A situation that reminds me of someone who played Supergirl's boyfriend and dumped her. Hell hath no fury...
I could be very wrong; and others might have better ideas. Till Monday when we find out a little more...

Then again, this might be the safest way for Teddy, is that Alchemy breaks up their 'thing'. If Alchemy knows, or finds out, about Lacy's adventure with Teddy; Lacy may not be safe. Oops!

ATheok wrote:And Alchemy has run off in the town wearing her hot 'special occasions' outfit. Will the watchers, (Naomi and Lucretia) be lurking about?
What's more, will she hasten "the end" of any wolf whistlers who impede her running? Big curvy knife and all.
Varanus wrote: Isn't she invisible to normal people?
I think if Alchemy ran by me in that outfit, I'd start sweating even if I couldn't see her.

Some days; I completely lose what is normal in this strip :-\ :-\ .
Naomi has a part time guardian angel whose halo she keeps borrowing.
Lucretia is a succubus who can see angels and demons, so I assume reapers are included; like when Chloe blocked Alchemy from slicing Teddy.

Links fixed. Boy, how is it even possible to overlook that you had multiple broken links that were all identical?? The DAMNed

LarsenSan

Post by LarsenSan »

I'm quite confused. Considering reapers don't have standard biology and the can change form at will (or not at will), shouldn't "gender" be an outer concept to them?

Varanus

Post by Varanus »

She does seem a bit contradictory at times. Far as I can tell, while she acknowledges gender/sex can't really apply to her kind the way it does to most beings, she strongly wants to be a girl (or at least she has lately). Whether that is normal or most reapers don't care at all about gender/sex is another question.

Quote removed. The DAMNed

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Post by Kamino Neko »

LarsenSan wrote:I'm quite confused. Considering reapers don't have standard biology and the can change form at will (or not at will), shouldn't "gender" be an outer concept to them?
No more so than it would be for demons and angels. Yet, Chloe, Pandora, Prudence, and Charity are girls and not agender beings.

She is genderfluid. This is stated common, if not default for her type of being, but also functioning similar to genderfluidity in the real world.

Given how her change has been shown to work, if she goes to Chloe, there's a good chance she's automatically flip, physically - though this will be...let's just say 'less than ideal' for Kimmy, herself, because she'll still be a girl in a boy's body, just like she was the first time it happened... But Teddy's insisting that she should be able to will the change is wrong and obnoxious.
I swear I will, I'll make you smile.

Original fiction by Neko: Heroes of Angel City (now in convenient (and edited) ebook form!). Kuchisake.

ATheok

Post by ATheok »

The DAMNed wrote: Links fixed. Boy, how is it even possible to overlook that you had multiple broken links that were all identical?? The DAMNed
er, can I plead blinded by the strip? @-)
Or I can settle for stupidity? :YMDAYDREAM:
I do vaguely remember looking at the preview; but I was overly focused on wording. I skimmed over the broken links and didn't think. ~O) ~O)

Thank you again for saving another one of my posts. I'll try to pay closer attention in the future! :-s :O3

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

I still want to know what happened after she was hit by the Tiresias Orb.

Insectoid

Post by Insectoid »

@Storm-forge-mystique: Well, if that girl really was Alchemy, it's a possibility that the orb didn't affect her at all. But we may never know, seeing as we don't even know if they're the same girl...
For those curious: my avatar is an artistic rendering of a spaceship I drew for a primitive (by today's standards) multiplayer online game called XPilot. (More about both on my website.)

Bzzz.

LarsenSan

Post by LarsenSan »

Kamino Neko wrote:
LarsenSan wrote:I'm quite confused. Considering reapers don't have standard biology and the can change form at will (or not at will), shouldn't "gender" be an outer concept to them?
No more so than it would be for demons and angels. Yet, Chloe, Pandora, Prudence, and Charity are girls and not agender beings.

She is genderfluid. This is stated common, if not default for her type of being, but also functioning similar to genderfluidity in the real world.
We haven't seen any indication of demons or angels being biologically asexual. The only instance of this statement was about reapers.

Also "genderfluidity in the real world"... ok, we could have a long and interesting debate about this but it would be off-topic, so I'll have to pass.

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Post by Kamino Neko »

LarsenSan wrote:We haven't seen any indication of demons or angels being biologically asexual. The only instance of this statement was about reapers.
Yes, the statement was about reapers...that they were genderfluid, not agender, which is a completely different thing.

Explicitly, in so many words, genderfluid.

The only way to believe Alchemy doesn't actually have gender is to use logic that is explicitly contradictory to what has been shown on the page. Just like if you want to believe it for anyone else. (And there's actually less reason to believe it...they're the only ones without significant precedent for it.)
Also "genderfluidity in the real world"... ok, we could have a long and interesting debate about this but it would be off-topic, so I'll have to pass.
'Interesting' would be the most polite word for that 'debate'.
I swear I will, I'll make you smile.

Original fiction by Neko: Heroes of Angel City (now in convenient (and edited) ebook form!). Kuchisake.

Varanus

Post by Varanus »

Kamino Neko wrote:But Teddy's insisting that she should be able to will the change is wrong and obnoxious.
Now see this is what I don't like, considering Teddy's intentions are perfectly good here and he doesn't understand how Alchemy's body works. "Wrong and obnoxious" just seems way too harsh a thing to call what he did, especially when said "insistence" was just a single question/plead.

Teddy is about the nicest, most understanding guy anybody could imagine so to judge him like that just feels off.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

plus the bottom panels prove that it was just that he came with the "maybe if..............." and asked Alchemy without momentarily considering how it affected all parties ( he was thinking what it meant for Chloe, maybe ) but now realizes things are not that "simple"

edit

sneak look at next strip

http://www.dangerouslychloe.com/comics/dc20161024.png

would not have known except he did the small image of it already

Teddy admiring Teddie
ImageImage

LarsenSan

Post by LarsenSan »

Kamino Neko wrote: 'Interesting' would be the most polite word for that 'debate'.
Why do you think people can't have a debate without throwing to each other's throats?