08-11-10 your voice is funny

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

David Johnston

Re: 08-11-10 your voice is funny

Post by David Johnston »

crownsy wrote: I think some of it, at least for readers like me, isn't so much being offended by the comic gag ace is being subjected to as being slightly irk'd by the fact that a similar issue, a character's identity being overridden by the orb, is treated one way for one set of characters and leads to such outrage that the artist felt the need to censor herself, but is perfectly ok for another character to engage in because it's cute.
The mental change was quite a bit more drastic.

BobDole

Re: 08-11-10 your voice is funny

Post by BobDole »

The flaw in comparing this to Looney Toons is that Looney Toons resets to a base state after every cartoon. There's no character growth or developing plot lines, there's merely the gags be they visual or audial.

When you've got a story, it is never just comedy. There's pathos and sadness and rapture and heartache and a wide range of emotions or the story feels flat. These stories hardly feel flat, but the side effect of that is that people will care a whole lot more about what happens to characters. They'll have hopes for them. Pull for them. Cheer them on.

If we didn't really care about the characters and just read this strip for laughs we'd probably stop reading and if we didn't, Giz and Dave would be wasting a lot of talent putting together these strips for a bunch of people who only want the gags.

For me, I read this strip because I like the characters and their stories - that they're generally funny is a bonus. If I want a strip that's just about the laughs, I go read (and do read) something else. Because a "just for laughs" strip is exactly what this isn't.