Magick Chicks 13-06-16 Two Melissas - pg 8 of 10

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Error of Logic

Re: Magick Chicks 13-06-10 Two Melissas - pg 8 of 10

Post by Error of Logic »

I'm impressed Anastasia has enough motherly feeling in her to want both Melissas safe, not just the one full of Hecate's evil-juice.

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

brasca wrote:Even without the wand Melissa was a powerful witch so she may already be free by now.
I wouldn't count on LightMel being powerful minus the wand - she's the "magical girl" half, DarkMel/Lissa is the "witch" half.

That said, neither would I be surprised if she's somehow "with one mighty bound"ed to freedom anyway, same way Dakota somehow did from Hekate.

Speaking of, wouldn't Hekate want the wand to destroy it when DarkMel called her up?
brasca wrote:And it would seem that Anastasia and Dakota are powerful enough to keep the dark half of Melissa in line otherwise Lissa would just laugh off their demands.
Not so sure. Remember, DarkMel has all of Melissa's witch power PLUS Cerise's Dark Power (minus the part Skye took on). I think this is more a matter of her having a *really* childish mindset than actual power.
Cortez wrote:I always figured Dark Mel killing good Mel would be a bad idea for the same reason King Piccolo never killed Kami. Because he would die too.
She's taking a big risk though - who's to say they can survive separated indefinitely? Not to mention, if LM goes through the horror DM hopes for, but she survives and they ultimately re-fuse, then DM gets to remember it all...

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Error of Logic wrote:I'm impressed Anastasia has enough motherly feeling in her to want both Melissas safe, not just the one full of Hecate's evil-juice.
You forget, Good Mel was the only one upset when it looked like Dakota actually killed Anatasia.
Searcher wrote:I took that smirk to mean, that she is proud of what her 'evil' daughter did to her 'goody' daughter but like when you come home after getting in a fight that you won; she has to act annoyed even if she is cheering you on.

But that is me

Except she isn't and she clearly didn't tolerate Bad Mel trying to kill Good Mel before. In fact, it looked like Bad Mel was closer to Dakota and Good Mel with Anatasia.

She obviously cares for both halves of her daughter though and wouldn't order Dark Mel to look for good Mel if she didn't.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

I actually did not forget. But as Hecate-Lissa has shown, it is possible to not care about someone who loves you. Anastasia is a self-acknowledged evil queen who actually manages to care for the child least like her, and I find that impressive.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Zippy wrote:
brasca wrote:Even without the wand Melissa was a powerful witch so she may already be free by now.
I wouldn't count on LightMel being powerful minus the wand - she's the "magical girl" half, DarkMel/Lissa is the "witch" half.

That said, neither would I be surprised if she's somehow "with one mighty bound"ed to freedom anyway, same way Dakota somehow did from Hekate.

Speaking of, wouldn't Hekate want the wand to destroy it when DarkMel called her up?
Melissa was a powerful witch when she and the coven were transferred to Artemis Academy and she didn't have the wand then. Moreover, she's Anastasia's daughter who survived a similar ordeal of her own making when she was trapped in the Shadow Kingdom so I think handling a group of humans would be fairly simple.
Zippy wrote:
brasca wrote:And it would seem that Anastasia and Dakota are powerful enough to keep the dark half of Melissa in line otherwise Lissa would just laugh off their demands.
Not so sure. Remember, DarkMel has all of Melissa's witch power PLUS Cerise's Dark Power (minus the part Skye took on). I think this is more a matter of her having a *really* childish mindset than actual power.
Sure it could be played for laughs just like when Cerise was worried to see her old ex Callie show up even though she was never any match for her. However, I think Anastasia and Dakota might have prepared for some potential resistance and might have some charms and other spells to bind her if she refused. Keep in mind if Lissa is willing to sell her other half into slavery what's to stop her from doing the same with her parents?
Zippy wrote:
Cortez wrote:I always figured Dark Mel killing good Mel would be a bad idea for the same reason King Piccolo never killed Kami. Because he would die too.
She's taking a big risk though - who's to say they can survive separated indefinitely? Not to mention, if LM goes through the horror DM hopes for, but she survives and they ultimately re-fuse, then DM gets to remember it all...
This could be the reason why Anastasia is against her trying to kill her good half. There's a lot they still don't seem to know about Melissa's creation in the first place and it's possible that Lissa could not survive for long without Melissa. There's also the possibility that after Anastasia and Dakota's original fusion neither one is as powerful or as pure as they used to be. Anastasia is mostly bad, but she was concerned about Cerise's life which is something that would never trouble the old Queen Obscuria. And Dakota is mostly good, but she didn't have a problem with preemptively trying to kill Anastasia which is something the old Musical Starlight would never do.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

brasca wrote:Melissa was a powerful witch when she and the coven were transferred to Artemis Academy and she didn't have the wand then.
Whatever power she may have had, when they first transferred, was easily dealt with by more experienced students.
brasca wrote:Moreover, she's Anastasia's daughter who survived a similar ordeal of her own making when she was trapped in the Shadow Kingdom.
One got sold off to a harem, the other stranded herself in what amounts to a demonic realm. I'd hardly call that similar.
brasca wrote:Sure it could be played for laughs just like when Cerise was worried to see her old ex Callie show up even though she was never any match for her.
I wouldn't be so sure of that, given we've yet to see what Callista is capable of in a fight. At the very least, Tiffany considered Callista to be a cause for concern when she rescued the Hellrunes. So did Cerise, which is why she tried to off her along with the rest of the student council. On top of which, Callista's the best shot at the academy and she's being trained to hunt cryptids.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Experience students she would later defeat herself. How quickly you forget that Melissa has gained a lot of experience herself.

We're talking about Melissa now, not at the start of MC anyway.

One got sold off to a harem, the other stranded herself in what amounts to a demonic realm. I'd hardly call that similar.
Point being that it will be significantly easier for Good Mell to free herself and the other women.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Cortez wrote:Experience students she would later defeat herself.
If you're referring to Rain, Tiffany said Mel only won because he got angry. She even warned Mel that a rematch could end differently.
Cortez wrote:How quickly you forget that Melissa has gained a lot of experience herself.
Most of which came from the wand highjacking her body and the rest was muscle memory. Which is why she didn't know how she was defeating Rain, who had to tell her the difference between kung-fu and judo.
Cortez wrote:We're talking about Melissa now, not at the start of MC anyway.
Except brasca was, I even quoted that part of her post.

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

brasca wrote:
Zippy wrote:

Melissa was a powerful witch when she and the coven were transferred to Artemis Academy and she didn't have the wand then.
But LightMel doesn't HAVE the witch-powers. DarkMel does. LightMel is what was squeezed out after her witch powers were amped and rejected the "magical girl" half.

UnsightlyWalrus

Post by UnsightlyWalrus »

Hello? "You are to scour the Earth and not come back until you have your sister with you, safe and sound!"?

So what's exactly the incentive for Lissa to go get her sister and return home? Why would she even want to? Go and travel the world, only you can't come home until you get your sister. And when would she ever actually care to return?

More reasonable request would have been: "You have one week to find and return your sister, then we'll come to find you and ground you to your room for a whole year with no people to torture. And find your sister ourselves.". Because I am sure they could.

But anyhow.

I so miss old Melissa. Neither Lissa or Mel is Melissa. One is comically villainous, the other sickeningly good, neither has the serious level headed attitude that Melissa had. Neither has anything in common with real Melissa, except Mel who at least looks like Melissa but doesn't act like her. While Lissa neither looks nor acts like real Melissa. And their merged Zebra Hair form doesn't feel like the same character either. It's like she's dead and gone.

If Melissa was a coffee, then the two forms are coffee dishwater, one is with too much added sugar, the other with too much salt and pepper and their merged form is two mixed together.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Gotoh wrote:
brasca wrote:Melissa was a powerful witch when she and the coven were transferred to Artemis Academy and she didn't have the wand then.
Whatever power she may have had, when they first transferred, was easily dealt with by more experienced students.
Yes, but she's not dealing with espers, just human thugs with no discernible magic abilities.
Gotoh wrote:
brasca wrote:Moreover, she's Anastasia's daughter who survived a similar ordeal of her own making when she was trapped in the Shadow Kingdom.
Melissa is being held against her will so there is that much commonality, but as previously stated her captors should be be no match for her.
Gotoh wrote:
brasca wrote:Sure it could be played for laughs just like when Cerise was worried to see her old ex Callie show up even though she was never any match for her.
I wouldn't be so sure of that, given we've yet to see what Callista is capable of in a fight. At the very least, Tiffany considered Callista to be a cause for concern when she rescued the Hellrunes. So did Cerise, which is why she tried to off her along with the rest of the student council. On top of which, Callista's the best shot at the academy and she's being trained to hunt cryptids.
She certainly was the best of the best and someone Cerise did not want to have free to cause trouble, but by the time she had absorbed Hekate's essence she was no match for Cerise and dealt with her and the others easily enough http://www.magickchicks.com/strips-mc/how_generous

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

brasca wrote:She certainly was the best of the best and someone Cerise did not want to have free to cause trouble, but by the time she had absorbed Hekate's essence she was no match for Cerise and dealt with her and the others easily enough.
Cerise had them dealt with, she didn't do it herself. And that was only after being assured by their leader that she wasn't going to interfere. So it remains to be seen how Cerise would fair against Callista, if she were to fight her, herself.

LarsenSan

Post by LarsenSan »

I must say, that sultan has good taste... :ymdevil:

Being serious, this strip has been... weird. After the ending ( =(( ) of MagickChicks I had assumed that both Mels had a single mind with different personalities and inhibitions; now they are two separate beings? So, the theory of both mothers being pregnant and creating one "super-fetus" was the right one? That's the only explanation I can have about her trying to kill or sell into slavery her light part and not dying/suffering herself... either that or this writing is... not very good.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Gotoh wrote:
brasca wrote:She certainly was the best of the best and someone Cerise did not want to have free to cause trouble, but by the time she had absorbed Hekate's essence she was no match for Cerise and dealt with her and the others easily enough.
Cerise had them dealt with, she didn't do it herself. And that was only after being assured by their leader that she wasn't going to interfere. So it remains to be seen how Cerise would fair against Callista, if she were to fight her, herself.
Do you seriously expect Cerise to fight fair? She wasn't doing that even before her powerup from Hekate. She used the power of the esper collective against them because she could and Callisata had no defense against it. Do you think fairness means anything whenever Callista was up against a weaker opponent during combat drills? She's an impressive fighter and I do hope she'll appear in future chapters, but Callista is not in the same league as people like Melissa and Ceriese anymore.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

brasca wrote:Do you seriously expect Cerise to fight fair?
Cerise tried to fight Skye on her own, admittedly, because she knew Skye was easily intimidated. And she tried to further establish her school cred by fighting Zora. She's cheated in every other match since, but she's shown that she's willing to at least try fighting fairly if she thinks she has a chance to win.
brasca wrote:She used the power of the esper collective against them because she could and Callisata had no defense against it.
She used the Esper Collective because Faith said she wasn't going to interfere, because by Cerise's own admission, Faith could've prevented it.
brasca wrote:She's an impressive fighter and I do hope she'll appear in future chapters, but Callista is not in the same league as people like Melissa and Ceriese anymore.
Callista may not have their power, but she doesn't necessarily need it either. As we saw, Mel's sure shot was nullified by an anti-magic talisman and they teach classes in how to resist mental domination (among other things). So it's a mite early to say she's outmatched, before we see what she's capable of.