Magick Chicks 13-06-16 Two Melissas - pg 8 of 10

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Cortez

Re: Magick Chicks 13-06-10 Two Melissas - pg 8 of 10

Post by Cortez »

Gotoh wrote:
Cortez wrote:Experience students she would later defeat herself.
If you're referring to Rain, Tiffany said Mel only won because he got angry. She even warned Mel that a rematch could end differently.
Seriously? You're going with that?

That was a long time ago and Melissa continued her training. More importantly, Rain has since become a butt monkey. Melissa could take him on with both hands tied at this point.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Cortez wrote:That was a long time ago and Melissa continued her training.
...and she still doesn't know how to fight (case in point). Note Tiff and Faith's reaction in the last panel.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

...can you really count that, though? Both Mel and Cerise weren't low on power; they had exhausted it 9and themselves) with that magical nuclear blast while trying to kill each other - leaving them with very little options on how to continue their fight once the dust cleared.

Exactly what was Faith expecting?
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Fluffy wrote:Exactly what was Faith expecting?
She said it herself: "resourcefulness", like the time she fell back to the Ninja Club room when she was exhausted (note the reasoning she gave in panel 2).

Mel and Cerise resorted to slugging each other.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Right - and where were they, exactly? In an open area, that's where.

There was no exit. No room to hide in, no weapons to wield (aside from Mel's wand - which, at this point, she was too drained to use).

So, what resources did they have outside of their own two hands? Absolutely none. They made do with what they had at their disposal - their fists.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Fluffy wrote:Right - and where were they, exactly? In an open area, that's where.
They had the entire school at their disposal.

In the scene I linked to, Faith's powers had nearly run out. So she made a tactical withdrawal from the spa to the Ninja Club dojo so she and Tiff could arm themselves.

With all the club rooms and weapons hidden at AA, Meland Cerise could have easily done the same. But their lack of fighting experience showed - Cerise has always done poorly in direct confrontations (vs. Tiff, Zora, etc.) and Mel relies on magic + the wand.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

...did...did you somehow miss the battle/ between White Mel and Cerise, Dark Mel and Cerise, or especially the giant nuclear magical explosion that occurred moments before Super Fetus Mel and Cerise settled for fisticuffs? Mel and Cerise's battle was far more destructive than what Tiffany and Faith had to face when dealing with the Hekate's possessed minions.

The amount of explosions and structural damage that took place during these battles, and what was left after the fact (nothing but rubble) I somehow doubt there was anywhere that either Mel or Cerise could run to/hide in; let alone any weapons around that they could have used to fight each other with.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Fluffy wrote:...did...did you somehow miss the battle/ between White Mel and Cerise that occurred moments before Super Fetus Mel and Cerise settled for fisticuffs?
Yes, I saw it and the school was still standing.
Fluffy wrote:Mel and Cerise's battle was far more destructive than what Tiffany and Faith had to face.
Which is beside the point. Mel and Cerise have no fighting experience, despite having participated in combat exams. We were even told (by the editor) that Cerise's success in her exams was 1/3 dumb luck and 1/3 spin control to make herself look good.

By contrast, we've seen Tiff, Faith, and Ash in dire situations, yet all three were able to fall back on their combat experience to try to save themselves.
Last edited by Gotoh on Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

I wonder who's got the wand?
;-?

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Gotoh wrote:
Fluffy wrote:...did...did you somehow miss the battle/ between White Mel and Cerise that occurred moments before Super Fetus Mel and Cerise settled for fisticuffs?
Yes, I saw it and the school was still standing.
Uh, no - it wasn't.

The link you shared took place after the battle was over. And it took both of them - and Jacqui - to return the school to its former glory.

Prior to that, after that last epic explosion, all that was left was rubble/ruin. (look at that last link I gave you - does it look like the school is still standing, by that point?)
Fluffy wrote:Mel and Cerise's battle was far more destructive than what Tiffany and Faith had to face.
Which is beside the point. Mel and Cerise have no fighting experience, despite having participated in combat exams. We were even told (by the editor) that Cerise's success in her exams was 1/3 dumb luck and 1/3 spin control to make herself look good.

By contrast, we've seen Tiff, Faith, and Ash in dire situations, yet all three were able to fall back on their combat experience to try to save themselves.
And Cerise and Mel are not Espers or trained fighters - they're magic girls/witches. The two are not even remotely on the same level.

I think this initial topic came up because people were debating whether Melissa could handle herself while imprisoned by a human sultan. The answer to that, is yes - considering she is no mere human girl. The only way she couldn't is if Dark Mel or Hekate had stripped her of her power before selling her to the sultan (and, with two pages to this particular arc left; it's highly doubtful that either had thought to do that).

Dark Mel will find Melissa - alive and well - with a sultan magically subdued, and probably hanging over a pit or some such.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Fluffy wrote:Uh, no - it wasn't.
That was light frin the spell enveloping the building, it wasn't being restructured (excluding the damage done to the interior).
Fluffy wrote:Prior to that, after that last epic explosion, all that was left was rubble/ruin. (look at that last link I gave you - does it look like the school is still standing, by that point?)
All we saw was the immediate area of the blast, not the entire building.
Fluffy wrote:And Cerise and Mel are not Espers or trained fighters.
Which is one of the points I was making to brasca.
Fluffy wrote:I think this initial topic came up because people were debating whether Melissa could handle herself while imprisoned by a human sultan. The answer to that, is yes.
...and I'm not disagreeing with any of that. :-??

What started this, was brasca's assumption that Callista is no longer a threat to Cerise. I disagreed, because the AA students have ways of countering magic and defending themselves from it. My point being, it's too soon to say whether Callie would be at a disadvantage against her, since we haven't seen what she's capable of yet.