Dangerously Chloe 28-04-16 Kick butt and take names

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Spidrift

Re: Dangerously Chloe 28-04-16 Kick butt and take names

Post by Spidrift »

She has, as someone else said, had the misfortune to be flanderised. Her basic concept is as the perky, immature sister who has goofy ideas and sometimes gets in over her head, but who's kind of cute and not actually horrible. Not everyone would like that, but it'd work, and initially I think that Abby was mostly accepted on that basis. But the writers kept exploiting the annoying bits, and most seriously, seemed to forget that she's supposed to love her brother really; every time Teddy got comedically hosed, Abby showed zero sympathy and acted worse than the literal demons around her. And Teddy was literally almost killed some of those times.

So when one of her few recent acts of real selflessness just involves her being quite this dumb, she doesn't have many reserves of reader sympathy to draw on.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Sk'thloq

Post by Sk'thloq »

I just hope this reverses her Flanderization and gives her some character development.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sk'thloq R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

:ymhug: HUGS! :ymhug:

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

Spidrift wrote:She has, as someone else said, had the misfortune to be flanderised. Her basic concept is as the perky, immature sister who has goofy ideas and sometimes gets in over her head, but who's kind of cute and not actually horrible. Not everyone would like that, but it'd work, and initially I think that Abby was mostly accepted on that basis. But the writers kept exploiting the annoying bits, and most seriously, seemed to forget that she's supposed to love her brother really; every time Teddy got comedically hosed, Abby showed zero sympathy and acted worse than the literal demons around her. And Teddy was literally almost killed some of those times.

So when one of her few recent acts of real selflessness just involves her being quite this dumb, she doesn't have many reserves of reader sympathy to draw on.
but that is part of the issue isn't it?

This is not really an "act of real selflessness" as much as it is an "act of complete idiocy". She receives the equivalent of a text message saying "grounded by the family, can't hang out" and her knee jerk reaction when someone tells her "well I am not driving you to your friend" is to steal a car and smash through a garage door, driving on the wrong side of the road into incoming traffic then through the wall of a friend's house to mount a much un-needed rescue. The note does not say "help me I'm a prisoner and I am going to die if you do not get out of here".

So on top of all that you said (which is true) there is the fact that she REALLY is too dumb to live and she is doing exactly what last time nearly costed her brother eternal damnation not once BUT TWICE because of her own idiocy. How she was not sent to military academy or a far away boarding school is a mistery to me.

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

I kind of hope she does stay dead, and sticks around as a ghost. Maybe she gets seen by someone who won't let Kimmy get away with what she did last time?

(And for Teddy to stay a girl... and Ace... and Ava to stay shrunk... and Pandy and Lucretia to stay shrunk... noticing a theme here?)

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Storm-forge mystique wrote:Ava to stay shrunk... and Pandy and Lucretia to stay shrunk... noticing a theme here?)
You have a case of microphilia?