Eerie Cuties 06-04-16 Siren Brawl pg 2 of 12

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Gotoh

Re: Eerie Cuties 06-04-16 Siren Brawl pg 2 of 12

Post by Gotoh »

tau neutrino wrote:It's not just a number of drownings, but the pattern of them moving up the coast. That's the sort of thing the characters on shows like Supernatural are always checking out.
Which we only have Tiff's say-so about. There may not be a pattern at all, 'cuz it wouldn't be the first time she's imagined danger where there isn't any. We won't know whether she's really onto something, until we're given more to go on.
tau neutrino wrote:But they don't actually do it. I

EC goes out of the way to say that vampires no longer kill, even the Quintessa possessed Layla stops short of draining her victims dry without thinking about it.
Quintessa wouldn't have had a problem with killing her victim, except she was still being affected by Layla's psyche. Which is why she tried to suppress Layla altogether, remember?
tau neutrino wrote:Giving Maria a line in VC about "What vampire hasn't had a little blood on their hands at some time or another?" seems to have caused some controversy from EC fans.
What controversy? I only recall 1 or 2 posters ever being bothered by that. :-\

tau neutrino

Post by tau neutrino »

Gotoh wrote:
tau neutrino wrote:It's not just a number of drownings, but the pattern of them moving up the coast. That's the sort of thing the characters on shows like Supernatural are always checking out.
Which we only have Tiff's say-so about. There may not be a pattern at all, 'cuz it wouldn't be the first time she's imagined danger where there isn't any. We won't know whether she's really onto something, until we're given more to go on.
She was right about Layla setting her up with a vampire, just wrong about the motive and that Layla's date was a werecat. "But the drownings have been steadily moving up the coast, right up to this very beach!" is a specific detail that's either right or wrong.
Gotoh wrote:
tau neutrino wrote:But they don't actually do it. I

EC goes out of the way to say that vampires no longer kill, even the Quintessa possessed Layla stops short of draining her victims dry without thinking about it.
Quintessa wouldn't have had a problem with killing her victim, except she was still being affected by Layla's psyche. Which is why she tried to suppress Layla altogether, remember?
That's the point. A modern vampire like Layla is so conditioned to stop feeding before death that Quintessa does it without thinking. She doesn't even press the point when Eleanor reveals the vessel is alive. Contrast with how she's able to enslave Layla's friends without interference.
Gotoh wrote:
tau neutrino wrote:Giving Maria a line in VC about "What vampire hasn't had a little blood on their hands at some time or another?" seems to have caused some controversy from EC fans.
What controversy? I only recall 1 or 2 posters ever being bothered by that. :-\
From what I've heard, it was mostly on the Facebook page.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

tau neutrino wrote:She was right about Layla setting her up with a vampire, just wrong about the motive.
Precisely my point. She was acting on assumption, rather than evidence.
tau neutrino wrote:A modern vampire like Layla is so conditioned to stop feeding before death that Quintessa does it without thinking. She doesn't even press the point when Eleanor reveals the vessel is alive.
Quintessa didn't have to press the point with Eleanor. Layla's mentality was the issue, which is why she tried to stomp out all traces of her.
tau neutrino wrote:From what I've heard, it was mostly on the Facebook page.
Oh, that. I thought you meant there was a controversy among EC's readership about that.

It'll be faster to link you to the VC trivia page at TV Tropes, which has links to several quotes from Adam about the particulars (look under "What Could've Been"). Suffice to say, it had nothing to do with what Maria said.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

By the way, I don't think that anybody has noted the title of this series of strips - sorry if I've missed any comments on that. It does rather hint that Tiff has indeed identified a real cryptid problem.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@Spidrift: I get the impression that the "sirens" are Tiffany and Tracy, given the beef between them. Hence, the "brawl". The question is whether that indicates a literal altercation, or a figurative one.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Going by the drownings the "Sirens" refer to the literal kind. Since drowning people is what Sirens do.

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

Yep. And I'm sure this has no connection whatsoever to the girl sunning herself in the foreground.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Cortez wrote:Going by the drownings the "Sirens" refer to the literal kind. Since drowning people is what Sirens do.
I meant that, as in, whether Tiff and Tracy will end up brawling (literally), or figuratively by taking digs at each other.

As for the drownings, I still feel it's too soon to say whether Tiff's really onto something this time, or if it's just another of her assumptions.

tau neutrino

Post by tau neutrino »

Gotoh wrote:
tau neutrino wrote:She was right about Layla setting her up with a vampire, just wrong about the motive.
Precisely my point. She was acting on assumption, rather than evidence.
Tiff wasn't just assuming that Layla was setting her up with a vampire, she deduced that she was since Layla's a vampire and her school was for cryptids. That's based on evidence. Similarly, either there's a pattern of drownings moving up the coast or she's delusional.
Gotoh wrote:
tau neutrino wrote:A modern vampire like Layla is so conditioned to stop feeding before death that Quintessa does it without thinking. She doesn't even press the point when Eleanor reveals the vessel is alive.
Quintessa didn't have to press the point with Eleanor. Layla's mentality was the issue, which is why she tried to stomp out all traces of her.
Pressing the point would mean killing the guy, using her overpopulation rationalization. Again, the point is that modern vampires don't kill in EC, which they go out of the way to show.
Gotoh wrote:
tau neutrino wrote:From what I've heard, it was mostly on the Facebook page.
Oh, that. I thought you meant there was a controversy among EC's readership about that.

It'll be faster to link you to the VC trivia page at TV Tropes, which has links to several quotes from Adam about the particulars (look under "What Could've Been"). Suffice to say, it had nothing to do with what Maria said.
It would be a controversy among EC readers that followed VC too. I never claimed it was the cause of all the fallout from VCMD! mentioned. At most it would be a part of it. On the VC Facebook page, the post with Maria's line has been deleted, possibly like others were because of a flamewar in the comments.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

tau neutrino wrote:Tiff wasn't just assuming that Layla was setting her up with a vampire, she deduced that she was since Layla's a vampire and her school was for cryptids.
I never said she assumed Layla was a vampire.

She assumed Layla intended to kill her. I even highlighted that part of your post to clarify what I was referring to.
tau neutrino wrote:Pressing the point would mean killing the guy
No, it wouldn't have. Because, as Tia explained to Nina, that'd only be dealing with a symptom, rather than the problem itself. Which is why Quintessa went straight for the source, in an attempt to remove all traces of Layla's persona.
tau neutrino wrote:It would be a controversy among EC readers that followed VC too.
The only ones upset by it, were fans of the VC, because the cheerleaders had been cast as the villains of that arc, along of how it ended. PMS fans were only upset that the comics had merged, 'cuz it meant having to put up with the cheerleaders.

The EC fanbase wasn't involved, unless it was on a different site.