03-11-10 Slumber party?

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Eris Lobo

Re: 03-11-10 Slumber party?

Post by Eris Lobo »

sanzo wrote:I don't know, Kade was fooling around with other girls while still in a relationship with Layla. I wouldn't be surprised if he's already got someone else
Call me a romantic, but I still have my hopes up that Kade and Gr(Ace) are a lovin'-squeezin' couple! *bounces and smiles*
Rowlf!!!

Kol Drake

Post by Kol Drake »

Okay... mom is cute. Strangley, Layla in the last panel is actually cute in a way I have not 'liked' her stern 'ice queen' self before. A vampy becoming a little more human. :p

MonCappy

Post by MonCappy »

Kamino Neko wrote:
MonCappy wrote:I think the comic loses something in the transition to black and white. While the story is still as entertaining as ever, the art has lost much of its life with the loss of color.
I disagree.

It's gained a lot. The art is cleaner, and actually more lively - the colour had a tendency to muddy things.

One thing...the recent guest strips seem to have gotten compressed badly in the format conversion. Monday's suffers worst. (It's hard to tell, but it may have gotten squashed horizontally out of proportion to the vertical shrinking.)
We'll have to agree to disagree then. The color gave the strips a life that the new manga format is lacking totally. While I will concede that the new format has superb line art, the vibrancy of the color pages is gone and I think it is a damn shame that it happened. What really saddens me is the fact that I think the new page format would benefit considerably from being in full color.

In any case, what is done is done. They've chosen to go to a black and white format and as much as I am disappointed by the decision to do so, I am not so saddened by the change that I would stop reading.
Early to rise and early to bed makes a man healthy and wealthy but socially dead.
http://moncappys.minitroopers.com

Miss Vavavavoom
Location: Oz, living in the Emerald City with the Scarecrow as my sugar daddy

Post by Miss Vavavavoom »

I'm kinda sad that the comic won't be color anymore because I really loved the coloring that was done. Either way, its still an awesome read.

Its funny to see Layla get so emotional over Kaede. You'd think with the way she acted she wouldn't have cared but I always knew that she valued Kaede's affections.
I'm Miss Sugar Pink
Liquor, liqour lips
Hit me with your sweet love, steal me with a kiss
I'm Miss Sugar Pink
Liquor, liqour lips
I'm gonna be your bubblegum bitch

Resident burlesque queen and sex kitten.
Looking for an artist for my comic! Please message me if you are interested

Lighthawk
Killer GM

Post by Lighthawk »

Alright, my first post, please be gentle.

I'd like to start by saying how much I've enjoyed this comic thus far. It's made a rather rocket powered climb up my list of web comic favs, bumping the likes of Penny Arcade and Order of the Stick aside along the way to claim a spot in my personal top 5. The artwork is always awesome, most especially the faces and expressions. While the speech bubbles are necessary to convey the story, they are not in anyway needed to convey the emotions of the cast. The amount of detail and range of emotion that comes across in the characters' facial expressions is astounding, especially with some of the more subdued looks. Anyone can make a big eyed, mouth opened, sweat dropping expression convey a meaning. Getting an emotion across with just a tweak of an eyebrow, a soft shift of the lips, that's true talent and I applaud how well such subtly gets used in this comic.

I enjoy the range of emotions this work brings out in the reader. This isn't just a comic to come get a laugh from, though it does provide plenty of that. The characters are nicely engrossing, the story lines are intriguing, and the interpretation of so many of the "classic" monster types is appealing. It has it's humor, but it also has it's warm happy spots, a bit of drama, some depressing areas, and a heaping shovel full of cute. And a rather indecent amount of fan-service considering the character ages and rating...I love me some indecency.

And just in case I haven't gone on long enough, some random thoughts on the characters

Nina: I'm frankly amazed how much is gotten out of what should be a fairly 1 dimensional character. At first Nina struck me as merely being the annoying(to the other characters), hyper-active, ADD type character who would really more serve as a plot device than true character. However as the comic went on she developed some subtle shading to her (as well as an alarming amount of cuteness) that makes her premium grade naive optimism endearing, rather than tiring and over done as so many such characters become.

Blair: Pretty much what I said about Nina, but to 11. The socially inept uber-perv has been done, so very very much. This character by all rights should feel boring, cliched, and utterly one dimensional...but just doesn't. Maybe it's because he is so damn funny, I don't know. I think the excellent artwork and facial expressions are a part of it, he is just SO FREAKING INTO WHAT HE DOES, and to such a comical overly exaggerated degree, that I am forced to love the character.

Brooke: Love her. Love love love. (Hence the avvy) And shame on every character who mistakes her for a boy, because no guy (should be) is so cute. I love her attitude, especially her sarcasm and wit, and how much of an action girl she is.

Tiffany: Adorable. She tries so hard.

Well I could say more, but I've probably gone on more than long enough. So in closing...(un)holy hot hopping momma, VampyMomma indeed!
Holder of the Elder Scepter of Ebilnes, Elected Supreme Ruler
"Who are you? I mean, you're me, but I'm me too. How can there be two 'me's? It's not scientifically possible. You are not scientifically possible!" -Twilight Sparkle, to her future self.
Yira wrote:Whatever, labels are stupid. ...Unless it's a label gun, then we're talking tons of fun. "Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! ...This is an awesome bar stool, but you can have it."

bokonondeemax

Post by bokonondeemax »

Matuse wrote:Is Layla crying...blood?
That was my assumption. Bloody vampire tears are a not uncommon meme. I wonder if Nina cries chocolate syrup. :p

The B&W looks okay to me, but it's probably because I'm mentally filling in the colors as previously used. If I was seeing the strip for the first time in B&W, I don't think I'd enjoy it as much.
Bulls*** makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful.

Quanta

Post by Quanta »

Am I the only one who tried reading that comic right-to-left? :o

theodoric476

Post by theodoric476 »

How did it work out?

Quote removed. The DAMNed
Birds of a feather flock together,
And so will pigs and swine;
Rats and mice will have their choice,
And so will I have mine. Nursery Rhyme

I may disagree with you but I am pretty sure you are not a NAZI Jon Steward/ The Daily Show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiGmgqW6ES8 State Rep. Maureen Walsh (WA. 16th district. R)

We have no enemies, only opponents Ronald Reagan

What luck that men do not think. Adolf Hitler

Quanta

Post by Quanta »

It made almost as much sense as when read normally, actually.

Quote removed. The DAMNed

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Post by Kamino Neko »

theodoric476 wrote:
Quanta wrote:Am I the only one who tried reading that comic right-to-left? :o
How did it work out?
Well, the first page, and first two panels of the second work just fine....
I swear I will, I'll make you smile.

Original fiction by Neko: Heroes of Angel City (now in convenient (and edited) ebook form!). Kuchisake.

theodoric476

Post by theodoric476 »

There have been times I have tried to puzzle out manga written in the original Japanese. I did not help any that I cannot read Japanese. From time to time though I have come across a story that made no sense what so ever until I figured out that they had been written left6 to right, western style. Why the artist did this I have no idea. But I have to smile when I see a western artist writing in English right to left. I have to thing that sometimes the Japanese do it too in reverse.
Birds of a feather flock together,
And so will pigs and swine;
Rats and mice will have their choice,
And so will I have mine. Nursery Rhyme

I may disagree with you but I am pretty sure you are not a NAZI Jon Steward/ The Daily Show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiGmgqW6ES8 State Rep. Maureen Walsh (WA. 16th district. R)

We have no enemies, only opponents Ronald Reagan

What luck that men do not think. Adolf Hitler

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

Lighthawk wrote:Alright, my first post, please be gentle.

I'd like to start by saying how much I've enjoyed this comic thus far. It's made a rather rocket powered climb up my list of web comic favs, bumping the likes of Penny Arcade and Order of the Stick aside along the way to claim a spot in my personal top 5. The artwork is always awesome, most especially the faces and expressions. While the speech bubbles are necessary to convey the story, they are not in anyway needed to convey the emotions of the cast. The amount of detail and range of emotion that comes across in the characters' facial expressions is astounding, especially with some of the more subdued looks. Anyone can make a big eyed, mouth opened, sweat dropping expression convey a meaning. Getting an emotion across with just a tweak of an eyebrow, a soft shift of the lips, that's true talent and I applaud how well such subtly gets used in this comic.

I enjoy the range of emotions this work brings out in the reader. This isn't just a comic to come get a laugh from, though it does provide plenty of that. The characters are nicely engrossing, the story lines are intriguing, and the interpretation of so many of the "classic" monster types is appealing. It has it's humor, but it also has it's warm happy spots, a bit of drama, some depressing areas, and a heaping shovel full of cute. And a rather indecent amount of fan-service considering the character ages and rating...I love me some indecency.

And just in case I haven't gone on long enough, some random thoughts on the characters

Nina: I'm frankly amazed how much is gotten out of what should be a fairly 1 dimensional character. At first Nina struck me as merely being the annoying(to the other characters), hyper-active, ADD type character who would really more serve as a plot device than true character. However as the comic went on she developed some subtle shading to her (as well as an alarming amount of cuteness) that makes her premium grade naive optimism endearing, rather than tiring and over done as so many such characters become.

Blair: Pretty much what I said about Nina, but to 11. The socially inept uber-perv has been done, so very very much. This character by all rights should feel boring, cliched, and utterly one dimensional...but just doesn't. Maybe it's because he is so damn funny, I don't know. I think the excellent artwork and facial expressions are a part of it, he is just SO FREAKING INTO WHAT HE DOES, and to such a comical overly exaggerated degree, that I am forced to love the character.

Brooke: Love her. Love love love. (Hence the avvy) And shame on every character who mistakes her for a boy, because no guy (should be) is so cute. I love her attitude, especially her sarcasm and wit, and how much of an action girl she is.

Tiffany: Adorable. She tries so hard.

Well I could say more, but I've probably gone on more than long enough. So in closing...(un)holy hot hopping momma, VampyMomma indeed!

Welcome to the asylum! Strait-jackets are in the closet on the left, breakroom is the first door to the right. And the broom closet/ makeout room is down the hall.
:ymdevil:
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.
And to keep for future reference: Image

Lighthawk
Killer GM

Post by Lighthawk »

Thank you :). I'm more of a chains and leather guy than straight jackets, but I suppose I should stay flexible.
Holder of the Elder Scepter of Ebilnes, Elected Supreme Ruler
"Who are you? I mean, you're me, but I'm me too. How can there be two 'me's? It's not scientifically possible. You are not scientifically possible!" -Twilight Sparkle, to her future self.
Yira wrote:Whatever, labels are stupid. ...Unless it's a label gun, then we're talking tons of fun. "Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! ...This is an awesome bar stool, but you can have it."

mac2

Post by mac2 »

With a straight jacket, you have to be flexible. :p

Edit: What? You know you were thinking it.
Yes, it is as bad as you think, and they are out to get you

Everything is significant until proven otherwise.

redwulf25_ci

Post by redwulf25_ci »

RoninAngel wrote:Is the color gone for good? I miss it already! :((
Well, I don't know if they do it anymore but over on the Megatokyo forums there used to be threads where fans would drag out their photoshop and what not and color the strips themselves. Is there any reason those with the know how and inclination can't do so here?