Dangerously Chloe 11-01-16 Are you a lesbian

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

JoybuzzerX

Re: Dangerously Chloe 11-01-16 Are you a lesbian

Post by JoybuzzerX »

cellabella wrote: Aside from today's update, you mean?

Sure, but keep in mind, these are just my opinions:

* This whole subplot with Naomi being high and Pandora "suggesting" things to her. It's ... not okay. Yes, Pandora isn't making her do these things, but she knows what will come of these suggestions. For example, when she "suggested" to Naomi that she do Teddy's back in the shower, did she really think Naomi would go in fully clothed? Naomi's complete mortification that Teddy saw her naked was cringey. She was not in control of her faculties, and Pandora was aware of that. Pandora taping everything, including, possibly, Teddy's splooge-shot feels exploitative to me.

* The whole "Teddy in hell" scenario. Sgt. Slash-Stab was perving and using him to literally get off. He could not get away nor could he say no. If the situation had been reversed and there was a girl being bound to a guy dry humping her, there would have been an outcry, but instead this was just played for laughs, just like the whole "Gary can't tell a vulva from a human mouth" arc in Ma3.

* I wasn't fond of Lucretia sleeping with the restaurant owner and breaking up his engagement. Just a personal pet-peeve.

* Torrid and the other girl rubbing their boobs on what looked to be an underage boy in the Valentine's Day arc. Again, if two dudes are rubbing themselves on an underage girl, are we laughing?

As always, YMMV.
A lot of this goes back to these characters being hell demons. They are not innocent. I think plenty of us posters have mentioned how Chloe is not a good person. I know I miss the sweet innocent Chloe from EC sometimes. Sometimes, it's just not easy to root for her now :p

Though, if this is now DNR for you, you won't get to see if she becomes good :o

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

cellabella wrote:I understand that the creators wanted to keep at lease one "Eerie" line going, but it's looking more and more like they picked the wrong comic to continue.
I would have said MC, but even without the schedule problems, that slowly collapsed in every way after the artist change (to the point I wondered if Cassandra was actually co-plotting or somesuch, while Shouri was just drawing from scripts, no-more-no-less). And after the hiatus, in retrospect they'd clearly decided to end it even before the actual announcement, hence the awkward jump and very...pat ending. EC at least wasn't tanked in the same way, it just ended an arc same as the previous arc endings.

Chloe's strip, meanwhile, had problems before. But #201-onward not only feature art that is clearly a step down in every way except punctuality - even without the comparison, there's been frequently awkward/stiff body postures and the occasional downright awful panel or strip - but the breakup-competition arc was just plain awful and tanked forever any sympathy for the title character from my POV. Subsequent stuff until now hasn't been that much better, just not quite as bad.

At this point, I'm deep into the 'reading purely out of habit' zone. Barring an upturn, I'll probably stop soon...

Time Sage

Post by Time Sage »

As someone who is actully gay, I feel the need to chime in....

I see no issue with this strip. This is entirely possible because the reverse happens ALL THE DAMN TIME. Gay kids will identify as straight because it's what their parents tell them to do and what society pushes and because it's the norm. In this case it's just reversed. She was raised in an environment where being gay was the norm and fell into it despite it not being true. This is just a coming out process in reverse. Instead of coming out gay she's going to come out straight. (And yes her parents are jerks but so are the aforementioned straight parents)

Hyper Magi

Post by Hyper Magi »

Well yeah, Pandora is a troublemaker to put it lightly. It's perfectly fine to consider the situation icky, but it's not exactly out of character for Pandora. Though I will say it's a good thing Naomi didn't go all the way considering her state of mind....

Teddy in Hell... I'm not seeing it. He looked more nervous and/or "bothered" than anything else when Slash-Stab was seducing him. He wasn't exactly "trapped" then. When started to become annoyed when he was trapped in the vines, but that was Lucreita's fault. Situations reversed? Yeah, probably causes more of an uproar but that's less about the comic and more about societal values that I don't have time to tear into tonight. Worst thing that happened that chapter was the incest joke at the end, and it came from someone who literally gets off on suffering. But for the record? No, this is absolutely NOT like that Ma3 arc. THAT was a combination of rape(or borderline depending on your point of view) by deception and a character being dumbed down to an absurd degree. Not quite the same as a boy going to hell and encountering several succubi.

It's fine to not like infidelity, but um... why are you reading a comic about sex demons who's primary job is to seduce the weak willed? Like... of course there's going to be some broken homes, they're succubi and they literally don't believe in traditional marriage. It's like reading Vampire Cheerleaders and being upset when one of the girls uses someone for their own personal gain. It's something that should have been expected from the very beginning.

And yeah, genders reverse things don't go quite as well but again societal values. (Though one could argue that incubi would be able to infatuate a middle school girl. Perhaps they do so by a different method than rubbing on her)

All that said? None of those really fit under " trans issues, bi issues, gay issues, anxiety issues, etc." To me it's more about sexual humor. And you're free to discuss why said humor is considered funny one way and not funny the other way, but otherwise.... yeah, I still don't see the original point you were trying to make.
Sparking now, search within your soul to find the answer!
Push yourself to the edge, give 1000%!

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Zippy wrote:Leaving aside SFM's point...

...is it just me, or is the art - on Lacy in particular - really bad in this one? Especially the blow-up doll in panel 1.
Just you. As always, just because the art isn't your cup of tea or different from before , doesn't mean it's bad.

Master of 7s

Post by Master of 7s »

cellabella wrote: Aside from today's update, you mean? sure if a question, or ....? QUILTBAG was T's project after he wrapped up Penny and Aggie. If you don't know either of those comics, then apologies for assuming. My point is that QUILTBAG was shuttered by T when he realized he'd made things a bit too convoluted. A lot of people were disappointed by that, but I felt it was brave of him to

Sure, but keep in mind, these are just my opinions:

* This whole subplot with Naomi being high and Pandora "suggesting" things to her. It's ... not okay. Yes, Pandora isn't making her do these things, but she knows what will come of these suggestions. For example, when she "suggested" to Naomi that she do Teddy's back in the shower, did she really think Naomi would go in fully clothed? Naomi's complete mortification that Teddy saw her naked was cringey. She was not in control of her faculties, and Pandora was aware of that. Pandora taping everything, including, possibly, Teddy's splooge-shot feels exploitative to me.

* The whole "Teddy in hell" scenario. Sgt. Slash-Stab was perving and using him to literally get off. He could not get away nor could he say no. If the situation had been reversed and there was a girl being bound to a guy dry humping her, there would have been an outcry, but instead this was just played for laughs, just like the whole "Gary can't tell a vulva from a human mouth" arc in Ma3.

* I wasn't fond of Lucretia sleeping with the restaurant owner and breaking up his engagement. Just a personal pet-peeve.

* Torrid and the other girl rubbing their boobs on what looked to be an underage boy in the Valentine's Day arc. Again, if two dudes are rubbing themselves on an underage girl, are we laughing?

As always, YMMV.

Did you forget the whole "demons from hell" angle or something?

Frankly this is probably the most accurate depiction of what real evil actually looks like. Not the stupid, mustache-twirling cartoonish nonsense that people expect in comics, but rather the "good intentions paving the way to hell" variety. With the exception of Prudence (and questionably Charity) there are no saints in this comic. If you've got demons roaming around, expect bad shit to happen.

Dave Zero1

Post by Dave Zero1 »

You're attention please:

Due to mixed reactions we decided to change the text of the current strip, It was not out intention to cause offence.
I honestly did not think the subject would be so taboo, but as Nero once said "Rome is burning and it looks like I'm holding the torch."
I am solely responsible for this, so if you must direct your anger at someone, please direct it at me.
The new line is less (morally) ambiguous, gives details that we would have found out later on, but that's okay at least we'll (I hope) still have a readership for when we get there, lol
At the same time I don't want to dismiss anyone who was on the other side of the argument. Good points were brought up all around and I encourage you all to keep discussing it in the forum.
Changing a line is always controversial, And as we all know "The internet never forgets" so the unaltered line will show up at my doorstep for many years in the future. And Given that this will end up in books, It's best that we change things now rather than later.
Again I apologize to any I've offended.

If you'll continue giving me your trust I'll be sure not to break it again in the future

Dave

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

tanonev wrote: The alternative of "of COURSE I'm a lesbian; my parents are lesbians and I want to grow up to be just like them" is much less harmful and still leaves plenty of room for comedy (this was actually done pretty well in a Modern Family episode).
Actually, that's exactly what Lacy says. All her mothers have told her is that sex with boys can get her pregnant - which is standard universal parent warning #1.

Personally, I think that this plotline is still a painful misjudgement and asking for trouble, but technically it doesn't have gay parents forcing their kid to be gay.

EDIT: I hadn't read Dave01's post when I wrote that. I'm guessing that the dialog in question is exactly what he changed. Sorry. As you were.
Last edited by Spidrift on Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

cellabella

Post by cellabella »

Dave, I for one appreciate that you listened to those of us who were not happy with the direction of the comic. In a world where people are dismissed for being "too sensitive" or "too PC," it's really nice to know that there are people who are sensitive to other people's discomfort. Thank you for your consideration.

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

It's a stretch - it'll be obvious to anyone who reads it it was changed, and not just because of the different font - but at least it's not what it was.

Time Sage

Post by Time Sage »

Eh... I actully dislike the changed version. Largely because of the reasons I found nothing wrong with the old version. Still I find it hilarious my comment was ignored thus far. Ignore the gay person because you're worried about offending gay people...

Mackus

Post by Mackus »

Now wants to become a doctor sorely to get a chance to look at penises. Yup. Not a lesbian.

christopheftw

Post by christopheftw »

I expect you're not the only gay poster, ts. In fact I am sure of it. :)

For my part I felt people were overreacting to the plot point, but I am grateful for the change. The situation now reminds me of an editorial I read a few years ago by a couple of gay moms detailing how normal their life was. They addressed the indoctrination argument by saying they assured their daughter they would love her regardless of her orientation. Of course, the daughter loved them and wanted to be gay just like them. She asked them how she would know what she was and they told her she would have a dream sometime about kissing someone and if it was boy she was prob straight and if a girl she was prob gay. Shortly after puberty hit she woke them up in the middle of the night, crying inconsolably, because she had just dreamed about kissing a boy and was so disappointed.

Osaru Sensei
Location: Sweden, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Post by Osaru Sensei »

As a LGBTQ woman, I don't know if I should laugh or cry here.
Spidrift wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:16 pm
She is indeed a wonderful artist who could doubtless turn her hand to anything, but from what I've seen, I don't get the feeling that she's very interested in depicting some of those bits in all their wrinkly Lovecraftian glory.
Wanna chat with me in realtime? Click my webpage button. In case I happen to be online, anyways...
He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it. –– Eldrad Ulthran, Farseer of Ulthwé
The very moment I understood Callie was my fav character.
High Priestess in the Church of Brasca

creature

Post by creature »

Mackus wrote:Now wants to become a doctor sorely to get a chance to look at penises. Yup. Not a lesbian.
I'm glad someone else thought that.