Dangerously Chloe 01-09-14 G- Al and Kimmy

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

washu

Re: Dangerously Chloe 01-09-14 G- Al and Kimmy

Post by washu »

mikbuster wrote:Actually, a computer would have no problem dealing with it. For HTML coding, I would assume it's more for readability of the code. Just curious, how do you write two spaces?
i know your joking. but you just leave a space about the size of one letter between words, and two letters worth between sentences.
it's as easier to deal with conceptually than the number zero. zero is a number, but it a just a place holder for nothing.
Rise from Ashes. a new webcomic by Madeleine Rosca, author of Hollow Fields.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

The academic, pedantic French have been using single spacing for centuries. Double-spacing is a habit associated with old-fashioned monospaced mechanical typewriters, and I think I sold mine twenty years ago. It gets messy, but apparently the Chicago Manual of Style says single-spaced these days, and that's usually the pedants' weapon of final resort.

And if you think this is deranged pedantry - that picture there sent me off looking at the alchemical concept of the Sacred Marriage. Hnuh. If I thought for a minute this comic had anything to do with traditional serious concepts of the occult... We could be here all night.

(Oh, and I've been stunningly restrained here. Hint: "your" or "you're"? Double-line-space between paragraphs? Cheap opportunities for irony?)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Well Al certainly looks better in a tux than a mini skirt.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Very few people don't. Of either gender.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

ImageImage

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

It seems to me that if we're seeing "them" at the same time, "together", one should have all-white hair and one all-black hair (probably "Al" would get the black hair, since he's the one wearing white!).

[And is this Cass playing catch-up, so we should have the "Thursday" strip on Thurs or Fri rather than Sunday or Monday?]
Katai wrote:I feel like this is a great opportunity to weasel around the conditions of the contract.

Chloe promised to get Teddy a girlfriend in exchange for his eternal soul. Doesn't quite work if he happens to get a genderfluid boyfriend instead >_>

Probably have to run it through underworld lawyers first, but I think we have a solid case.
1) Chloe, for the purposes of the contract, was meant to BE the girlfriend! Her ostensible aim to find someone else for him is an attempt in itself to weasel out of the contract, not fulfil it.
2) Underworld lawyers don't play fair. If they did, a single, "five minute" - and lethal! - screw wherever the "girlfriend" happened to appear would not constitute a "girlfriend" in any reasonable person's book, just a black widow's idea of a one-night stand. While you'd think if Alchemy regarded herself - while female - as his "girlfriend in her heart" at any point it should trigger the escape clause, her genderflipping would probably work against Teddy's case, rather than for it...

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

So, it's the Chemical Wedding Day?? ;)

It's a peculiar pedantism when people who do not capitalize anything complain about not being able to double-space between sentences.

Also, weird, I've never heard of that convention before, and I'm old enough to have used a typewriter in my school days!

EDIT: Edited! :P
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Don Alexander wrote:It's a peculiar pedantism when people who do capitalize anything complain about not being able to double-space between sentences.
Really? I think people who do capitalise appropriately would be at least slightly more likely to complain about no-double-spacing than people who don't, myself ;) [Did I mention my pet hate is people who leave out "not" where it should be present, or vice-versa, since it reverses the meaning of a sentence? :p]

*Has heard of the double-spacing thang, has never bothered with it even off the internet, and has never used a manual typewriter "in anger" anyway.*
Last edited by Zippy on Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

by the strip where "Al/Kimmy" notices Chloe

the hair color stays the same when (s)he switches gender

so this strip looks okay taking aside that we can never have "AL" and "Kimmy" at the same time
ImageImage

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

That was the point, that s/he's been split in twain in this (hypothetical) pinup. I thought that, given hir distinctive hair, being split in two might well result in one with all-black hair and one with all-white hair!

washu

Post by washu »

just forget i said anything about grammar. i just wanted to complain and thought other people that like double spacing would think it was funny. i'm not a grammar Nazi myself and i don't want to argue about it.
btw, i believe "correct grammar" is the one conveys your writing style and message well. i'm pretty flexible with it and i like style. i'm a fan of e.e. cummings and copy his "no capitals at the beginning of sentences thing". double spacing is just a pet peeve of mine i guess. also, i'm a horrible speller. i thank spellcheck for helping me pass school.

about the comic; the loving look creeps me out too. but it's funny so i'll just go with it haha.

Spidrift, got any good links on Alchemy and this Sacred Marriage concept? i wanna learn a little about it.
Rise from Ashes. a new webcomic by Madeleine Rosca, author of Hollow Fields.

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

can we start using the pronoun Shklirr then?

Hyper Magi

Post by Hyper Magi »

I'm not normally into selfcest but...
Sparking now, search within your soul to find the answer!
Push yourself to the edge, give 1000%!

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

well.....depends on the selfcest...

I mean you have any idea how many people endorse Femshepard + Maleshepard?

Quote removed. The DAMNed

Hyper Magi

Post by Hyper Magi »

Well it is Shepard.

They're one of those characters that makes you go. "Well I'm normally ___sexual, but I could make an exception for them".
Sparking now, search within your soul to find the answer!
Push yourself to the edge, give 1000%!