08-10-10 Best day ever! (more effort strip - revised)

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Rocky

Re: 08-10-10 Best day ever! (more effort strip - revised)

Post by Rocky »

Alcuin, when I wrote that I had felt uneasy about the original version I was not taking a moral line, although that had an influence. As I wrote in a thread on Ma3, readers need to be able to willingly suspend disbelief (as Tolkien put it) for any story to work well. It doesn't matter if the scenario is close to real life (Ma3) or a fantasy world (EC) the story has to be consistent with the world in which it's set. The main characters in EC are various forms of monster so for a vampire to feed on mortal blood is consistent, with the edge being taken off by the victim neither being killed nor possessed but returned to their own circumstances with an erased memory and slight anaemia. We have never seen how the other monsters feed but, for consistency, you'd have to expect that no mortal was killed or seriously harmed. It would not be consistent for Ace to slaughter humans like a fox in a hen house. He'd have to behave just like Angua in Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels.

With teenagers, sex is an inevitable element of a storyline. Hormones race and it becomes the central focus in many ways (it did for me at any rate!) so I do expect to see sexual elements appear in EC. Layla's bikini top getting torn off by a wave and Kade getting the reward she was only intending to tease him with is fine. It's funny, consistent and Layla got taken down a peg or two. On the reverse, we've now seen that Kade is the proverbial tomcat so I don't really see why Layla puts up with that. Maybe that will become clear later but that type of relationship happens so it is consistent.

I have no inherent concern about girls kissing but I found the clinch between Brooke and Nina jarred. Had it been between two members of staff or members of the coven I don't think it would have done. In the first case, there would have been the humour of the subsequent embarrassment after the return to normality, especially if they'd been seen by pupils in the aftermath. In the second, there would a degree of come-uppance, especially if they're in mid-clinch when they are restored. I can't see same applying to Brooke and Nina.

Even with the amended strip, Blair has crossed a line and revealed how unprincipled he is. I'm not sure how he can be refitted into his former place in the storyline. Before this arc he was unable to influence anything and the worst he could do was steal underwear and hope to steal a glance of cleavage or crotch. Now he's been shown to be quite dangerous and entirely without scruples with even the slightest chance. I'm finding it difficult to imagine a scenario where it would be consistent for him to remain with Nina so has he run his course? We shall see.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

RoninAngel wrote:Now a bunch of you want to de-lurk and second guess their decision.
I attribute it to 3 in the morning plus tummyache that the total logic fail in this sentence escaped you.

I mean, obviously, someone who has never posted before can't be accused of having been part of the group of people who complained so much that Giz and Dave changed the strip... /:)

*hands RA some antacid and a sleeping pill.*
Chup@Cabra wrote:However, I do find the alternate version funnier (the stupidly large 'censored' sign kind of does it for me :D ).
That, my mystical friend, is actually Monday's comic already, you have to go back one to get the revised version of Friday's strip. :P

Anyway, here some predictions for the last strip of this arc:

- Layla and Kade dancing with smiles at the school dance. Fickle creatures both, all is forgiven.
- The witches coven is disgruntled. Jackie is missing Melvin, Melissa is aghast at both her sisters (Jackie for immediately lusting after her, Cerise for backstabbing her).
- Ace still has on girl clothes and is the buttmonkey and laughingstock again.
- Blair is gnawed at and drooled over by Kujo and screams he will never do it again.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Milly

Post by Milly »

I am a person who has never replied on the comic so far - and, in fact, after the unchanged strip, I planned to drop it (and in fact will keep a bad feeling when blair shows up, but it's mitigated a bit).
Not because underage girls kissed. I'd like to have Brooke have a girl/girl kiss, in fact, she pings me as eager to do so. On her own will, on her own time, and with a person she wants to kiss.

No, it's because Blair was nothing but a rapist of the worst sort, and probably was going to get away with this. Not only is this not funny in general, this also echoes real-world dismissals of rape. Guy putting a drug into my drink? My fault. Shouldn't have been there. He didn't do anything bad.
That is how it is in the real world, and that is why the comic, should Blair have continued to be in it with the unchanged version, would have been unreadable for many people who actually experienced this in the real world (which is far more than "a minority of a minority"). And for people who know about things like that without directly experiencing, I can imagine why the comic choked any laughter they may have had, too.

Yes, of course the complaints against the comic are "overreacting". Funny - thats exactly what people tell rape victims, too. This makes the whole situation even less funny, because now, we're acting out the whole spiel that always happens in cases like this.

And thats why I can only applaud the courage of the authors to change the comic. It is VERY appreciated. I cannot thank you enough.

As for the rest of the forum: I won't post again, don't worry - this community seems incredibly toxic towards criticism, and incredibly hostile towards people comics like this cause pain to, with the usual, tired dismissals.
he's suddenly reached a new level of unacceptability?

Really?
Yes, really.
Because rapists in the real world can't turn you into a cheerleader, can't change your body, can't change your hair totally.
But they can force you into sexual acts you do not want.
People aren't likely to have trauma about being turned into a cheerleader - but rape is a common trauma.

Suspending disbelief works fine - until a story kicks you in the stomach, tells you that forcing sexual acts on others is just hilarious, and then proceeds to, predictably, keep the rapist around as a goofy character who didn't do anything bad. Of course.

As the next comic shows, that was what the authors originally planned, until they noticed the implications and changed it. That actually makes them better authors: Real comics often go to several revisions. Self "censorship" happens all the time. And that is a good thing.

Just because you are lucky enough that nothing bad ever happened to you does not mean that those that had bad things happen to them need to be ignored, dismissed, or ridiculed.

ginibini

Post by ginibini »

Milly wrote: Not because underage girls kissed. I'd like to have Brooke have a girl/girl kiss, in fact, she pings me as eager to do so. On her own will, on her own time, and with a person she wants to kiss.
I agree with you with that point.

But I really think this whole "rape" discussion should stop directly again. With all my respect for rape- or other violence-victims...I think this comic strip is waaaaay over-interpreted in the meanwhile. There are so many movies, books, stories, pictures, etc. that really pick up the rape-theme. Unfortunately this is something that really happenes in the world and there´s no question that this is something terrible. But we should not forget that this is a fictional comic about monster teenagers. Like someone else already said: What a vampire would do to a human if they would exist in reality...that wouldn´t be better at all, or?
Don´t generalize. Just because the most people luckily hadn´t such a horrible experience in their real lifes, doesn´t mean that they have no empathy for that or ignore, dismiss or ridicule people.

So pleaaaase, everyone...be friendly again. :x
Last edited by ginibini on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

popober

Post by popober »

How could any one object?

Hey there, been a reader since the start and only decided to post here now. Been so busy with school that I even forgot there was a friday update...

While I'm not a big fan of the girl on girl thing, Nina just looks so irresistible in that old version, DAMN! Then again, Brooke just looks so adorable with that side hair thing in the new one... Wish more girls would sport that look. *Nerd dream*

But hey, great artwork as always Ms. Lagace. Keep it up!

cursormortis

Post by cursormortis »

RoninAngel wrote:Now a bunch of you want to de-lurk and second guess their decision. Not cool. You should be ashamed to call yourselves fans. Fans offer encouragement.
Dude, until I happened to see that EC was changed, I hadn't even set foot in this forum. I don't know how many other posters have the same story, and I don't care. It is our right to speak up as we wish or not, and I don't see why we should be chewed out for something that could be explained by just having things to do on a weekend.
Milly wrote:No, it's because Blair was nothing but a rapist of the worst sort, and probably was going to get away with this. Not only is this not funny in general, this also echoes real-world dismissals of rape.
What. Seriously, what. I can understand the mind-control problem people have with this, but to call Blair a rapist? Really? I'm sorry, at what point did he engage in unwanted sexual intercourse? At best, you might be able to swing an argument for sexual assault, but I'd say that's pushing it. What Blair is doing was between a frat guy encouraging a couple drunk girls to make out and a frat guy persuading a couple drunk girls to strip. Maybe a bit worse because he had control of their minds, but not by much.

popober

Post by popober »

Those who can't separate reality from fantasy and fact from fiction have real problems. You people need to either lighten up or go see a professional. This is the very paranoia that has the belief that every single thing you see on a piece of paper will be mirrored in real life. It's fiction, it's not real life people. Grow up. The internet isn't for some stuck up who thinks everything is one thing and another is everything.

For all we know, those characters in the book actually enjoy what their doing when looked at a different context. It's just like acting in a play, someone may act like they don't want to do something but they don't mind, it's just acting. They'd simply say to those who can't understand or won't mind their own business to "F*ck off, I like what I'm doing." IT'S NOT REAL.

Miss Vavavavoom
Location: Oz, living in the Emerald City with the Scarecrow as my sugar daddy

Post by Miss Vavavavoom »

I'm just glad that Blair is getting what he deserves for being such a perv!
I'm Miss Sugar Pink
Liquor, liqour lips
Hit me with your sweet love, steal me with a kiss
I'm Miss Sugar Pink
Liquor, liqour lips
I'm gonna be your bubblegum bitch

Resident burlesque queen and sex kitten.
Looking for an artist for my comic! Please message me if you are interested

ginibini

Post by ginibini »

Teacher wrote:People are really reading way TOO much into the comic, definitely. T_T

Also, please drop the rape discussion as this is just going to cause more problems, and I don't think any of you want to force Giz to lock the thread again.

:-bd :-bd

Solokian

Post by Solokian »

You think the authors shouldn't have done this?
I think the dickheads who complained should have shut their trap.

This is internet, this place is free, and art should be the most free thing anywhere, especially here.
Seriously, complaining about one damn panel in a webcomic because it has *gasp* two young girls kissing?

Love is free, art is free, and the net is here to support that.

If you're offended, go offline and stay there!

nekosune

Post by nekosune »

I very much get the idea some of the more vocal against, was just trying to cause trouble, as I honestly can not believe someone can argue while so much ignoring reality :-S

TlarythPhalyn

Post by TlarythPhalyn »

One little thing...

Can the people comparing the original scene to rape please stop? As a rape survivor, as someone who has had to be the support for many others who have been there, I find the comparison distasteful at best and downright offensive at worst. Can we please just move on with our lives?

Thanks.

Zig-zag-zug

Post by Zig-zag-zug »

I don't like the change so much. Yes, it did make Blair "4 reelz evil omg" in a funny way, but it was completely in character for him. The actual idea being someone without any power, or capability to pursue his desires, is suddenly given everything he wants. But he still can't do everything he wants: he's a doll. Calling it "rape" is overdoing it, and diminishes the horror of the actual thing. That sort of thing is about power over others, making them do what you want when they don't want too.

This is someone with no power making others do what they might want to do. Blair was a harmless doll who merely tried to titillate the boundaries of what's acceptable. My client was simply trying to give to others what he himself can never have! :-B

It's more like a drunken frat-boy in a wheelchair telling two girls who got drunk to make out for 10$... after he spiked the Punch bowl with alcohol. @-) Sucks for them... but the guy is in a wheelchair! Poor guy! And 10$? That's enough for two shooters! Oh man, I'm out of money... okay, everyone turn off your cameras! No, seriously! We won't do it if anyone takes a picture! (but someone always takes a picture anyway, and then it's on the internets forever ;;) )

The true tragedy is that Blair didn't use the power on himself. Now! Acquit my client of this extreme charge!

Okay, we agree to felony misdemeanor and therapy delivered via comedic beatings. b-(

Still, the rewrite maintains the general feel on the story and character, so great job! :ymsmug:

MuchachoNL
Menace to Society

Post by MuchachoNL »

TlarythPhalyn wrote:One little thing...

Can the people comparing the original scene to rape please stop? As a rape survivor, as someone who has had to be the support for many others who have been there, I find the comparison distasteful at best and downright offensive at worst. Can we please just move on with our lives?

Thanks.
Best comment ever.
I find it revolting that there's always somebody who is strongly appalled by what an artist creates and have the guts to force them to change it "because it's offensive". I dare to make a wager that 80% of the whiners haven't personally experienced anything like they claim the last panel would suggest.

Seriously, if you don't like it... don't read it.
cursormortis wrote:What. Seriously, what. I can understand the mind-control problem people have with this, but to call Blair a rapist? Really? I'm sorry, at what point did he engage in unwanted sexual intercourse? At best, you might be able to swing an argument for sexual assault, but I'd say that's pushing it. What Blair is doing was between a frat guy encouraging a couple drunk girls to make out and a frat guy persuading a couple drunk girls to strip. Maybe a bit worse because he had control of their minds, but not by much.
I couldn't agree more.

But the funniest thing is:
While we're bitching at eachother, NOBODY complains about the Incubus version of Chloe being butt-naked and only has his tremendous schlong censored, but a very well dressed up couple of girls kissing is considered "pushing the PG-13 boundary"... hypocrites. L-)
Freudian Slip: When you say one thing, but mean your mother... err... another.

IS_Wolf

Post by IS_Wolf »

Only saw this morning that the Friday one had been changed and didn't have the time to respond.. Work and all that.

Most of what I wanted to say has already been said, so I'll refrain from dragging that out again.
Just pencil me into the "disagree with the change" crowd.

And I'm also very much in favour of there being a vote on this thing, as to whether the original comes back or that the altered version gets to stay.

And as for Blair and his ways, this has been pretty much telegraphed since Day 1 that he appeared.
Give him the power needed to achieve his desires and he will use/abuse it. It was only a question of time.

To be surprised over this, is like being surprised that a Wookie will tear someone's arm from their socket and club them to death with it, when made angry.