Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Giz
Site Admin

Eerie Cuties 06-08-14 A close circle

Post by Giz »

Passing Through

Re: Eerie Cuties 06-08-14 A close circle

Post by Passing Through »

Brooke's wanted this for how long exactly? Since kissing booth at the latest. @};- She is a lucky snake girl. :)

I'm not really sure why the evil doll expects anyone to believe a word he says. :-Q

And supposing Layla is recruiting, how would that even be a bad thing? :-?

Also, that was more like asking than begging in my book. :O3 In fact I'd even say that Layla begged to be begged harder than Brooke begged. (*)

CFT

Post by CFT »

Equal parts sweet and creepy, me likes it!

And Ace, the correct question is "why would anyone *not* record it?" :p
My name's Crazy. Craaazy For Tiff of course!!! :x ^:)^ \M/ B-)

THE CORRUPTOR IS UNCHAINED

Azure

Post by Azure »

Layla's putting off a kind of "sexual predator" vibe here that makes me uncomfortable

washu

Post by washu »

so.. is this just Layla's(and Quintessa's) strong social skills of seduction at work? or is there a touch of Vampire magic at work as well? Not all vampires have to have the same level of skill. Quintessa may be uniquely gifted at magic. either as a result of age, experience, talent, or all three. She might have Hypnotic/Suggestive abilities other vampires could only dream of. and she might be able too use them without making it obvious to others.
Rise from Ashes. a new webcomic by Madeleine Rosca, author of Hollow Fields.

washu

Post by washu »

Azure wrote:Layla's putting off a kind of "sexual predator" vibe here that makes me uncomfortable
to be a "sexual predator" Layla would have to either using force, or at least forcing, via personality, her desires on an unwilling subject. Brooke's been hinting at wanting this attention for a long time.

on the other hand, vampires are expert social/magical manipulators. so you sensing something that makes you "uncomfortable" is not unwarranted. what you sense is frequently, in vampire films, the desired effect of showing the audience just how dangerous, and attractive, vampires can be.

CFT

Post by CFT »

I just realized I'm also getting some Harry Potter vibes here (specifically, parallels to when in HP we got told about Voldemort's initial rise to power and gathering of followers, when he was still a young & charismatic sociopath and not a ... noseless Ralph Fiennes!)

Insectoid

Post by Insectoid »

This page reminded me of the Doompanties arc, when Layla was involved in a similar situation (except that it was Chloe doing the manipulation, not her).
For those curious: my avatar is an artistic rendering of a spaceship I drew for a primitive (by today's standards) multiplayer online game called XPilot. (More about both on my website.)

Bzzz.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

washu wrote:to be a "sexual predator" Layla would have to either using force, or at least forcing, via personality, her desires on an unwilling subject. Brooke's been hinting at wanting this attention for a long time.
I doubt Brooke ever wanted to be a "pet", which is basically where this seems to be going; especially if those stories Nina read to Blair were true. Frankly, I find it baffling that anyone's okay with what we're seeing, considering it's the type of behavior Faith was being accused of. Moreso, since this doesn't seem to be Layla anymore. :-\

washu

Post by washu »

i wouldn't say i approve. not morally anyway. but Layla is a vampire, and what she's doing, bending people to her will, is kinda their thing. i approve in that this makes for an interesting story that has good flow too it.

Quote removed. The DAMNed

CFT

Post by CFT »

Yes, liking a story plot development is totally different than liking the in-story actions of the characters. In fact, I just exactly did that: I said I liked this page and also compared Laylamia to one of the more despicable fictional villains.

As for the comparison with Faith, I'd say that (for now of course) we have no hint of Layla using anything more than her natural charm and Brooke's already existing attraction to her (with Faith always the problem was if she was adding her mental powers to her physical attractiveness*). Of course, it may eventually turn out that Lamia is totally mind-controlling Brooke here, but until then...

*though I've also personally argued that if ALL Faith ever did was use her ("natural") power to appear more beautiful/attractive to others, that's really no different (nor worse) than someone wearing make-up and attractive clothes, or using a perfume and is in fact even better morally than doing ("unnatural") cosmetic plastic surgery.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

This has "unhealthy" written all over it. It has this "I kind of wanted it, but I not really wanted it, now I regret it so much" vibe. This is the same Brooke whom a chapter or two ago said confidently she got over Layla and even find the idea quite an old shame. I would have never believed Brooke to fall for Laylamia that easily.

So, who's next ? Purvis ? :p

James Rye

Post by James Rye »

Hm, I kind of expected Brooke to be more like "the heck, aren't you somehow different from usual Layla" or at least get pissed at the "beg me" part. Dunno, Brooke's behaviour seems pretty strange to be "just" affection and curiousity. At least to me that is.

renmei

Post by renmei »

Insectoid wrote:This page reminded me of the Doompanties arc, when Layla was involved in a similar situation (except that it was Chloe doing the manipulation, not her).
I was just thinking that. Too bad Chloe is busy in another comic.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

CFT wrote:Yes, liking a story plot development is totally different than liking the in-story actions of the characters. In fact, I just exactly did that: I said I liked this page and also compared Laylamia to one of the more despicable fictional villains.
I don't have a problem with the direction the narrative is taking. What I don't get are all the cheers of: 'whoo-hoo! go Layla x Brooke!' considering, one is no longer herself, and the other seems to be enthralled. Whereas had this been Faith doing this to Tiffany, or some other girl, those same people would be ready to roast her.

Plus, it seems that Layla is steadily being taken over by Lamia's persona, which is why I can empathize with Nina.
CFT wrote:As for the comparison with Faith, I'd say that (for now of course) we have no hint of Layla using anything more than her natural charm and Brooke's already existing attraction to her (with Faith always the problem was if she was adding her mental powers to her physical attractiveness*). Of course, it may eventually turn out that Lamia is totally mind-controlling Brooke here, but until then...
Brooke was attracted to Layla, but not to this extent. Under normal circumstances, had Layla told her to "beg" for anything, she would've told Layla to get over herself. Seeing her like this reminds of that scene Nina read about.

I'm also reminded of what Chloe said here: "Big talk, but you couldn't hypnotize me before you had a taste!"

And we know Layla's had a sample of Brooke before. So I'm wondering if Lamia may be using an advanced (albeit subtle) form of the same mind control Layla used on Chloe. That could explain why Brooke's being so submissive here, whereas she usually isn't.
CFT wrote:*though I've also personally argued that if ALL Faith ever did was use her ("natural") power to appear more beautiful/attractive to others, that's really no different (nor worse) than someone wearing make-up and attractive clothes, or using a perfume and is in fact even better morally than doing ("unnatural") cosmetic plastic surgery.
I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with plastic surgery, so long as they're comfortable with it and can afford it. Who doesn't wanna improve their self-image (though I'm not suggesting everyone would go about it that way)?

But I get what you're saying and I'd hope that's as far as it went.