Magick Chicks 10-05-13 One of your friends

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Re: Magick Chicks 10-05-13 One of your friends

Post by Azrael »

Don Alexander wrote:
Azrael wrote: :-? Hmmm, Skye doesn't apparently recognize Cerise here. Is she not seeing Cerise at all, I now wonder.
All she sees is a doorway with blackness behind it, remember?? To the point of not noticing that it has appeared, floating, in the middle of a hallway...

Well, certainly. However, I was under the impression that Skye was through the door here and face-to-face with The-Entity-Formerly-Known-As-Cerise. But seeing this one I now speculate that she is still in total darkness never mind what we see.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

TBeholder
BANNED

Post by TBeholder »

CFT wrote:Symbiote theory seems to be correct.
How so?
CFT wrote: Though we still don't have a solid confirmation that Cerise's mind is being taken over, it sure looks like it in the last panels (panel 3 and 4 she's confused and seemingly thinking "what's happening to me?" and in panel 5 she seems totally evil-looking). As Razmos suggested in the previous thread, this is enough to explain the apparent change in tone (from kind to confused to manipulative) during this discussion.
That is, on the previous page tone apparently changes all the way "from kind to confused to manipulative". A-a-and on this page tone apparently changes all the way "from kind to confused to manipulative"... :-=
CFT wrote: Now we must wait for confirmation that this is really what's happening
Do you really expect we'll have this spoon-fed to us, after... uh... the whole Cutie-verse from the first page of EC, really?
CFT wrote: (plus the big questions of "is the Symbiote the Corruptor?"
Er... what is what? To me, it's kind of like seeing a bridge being built between the roofs of two cloud-castles right now.
Don Alexander wrote:What happens then is anyone's guess, possibly she forgets about Mr. Inky fro a sec and tries to help Cerise, who then "infects" her and somehow also send her back in time (minus a few days or so)...
Or maybe Hekate will.
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
We also crave the need to speculate... -Ed Greenwood

Bloody Vikings

Post by Bloody Vikings »

TBeholder wrote:"jowl-at-the-Moon" Skye
She has a little more curve than Cerise, but I wouldn't consider her fat.
Artemisia wrote:I hate predestination paradoxes.
You've always said that... ;)
Proud owner of one "Gotcha" point, courtesy of TBeholder and 1.35 Internets (after taxes) from Don Alexander.
Also one IOU for an internets from FragileMara.

CFT

Post by CFT »

@ Tenjen: that's the big debate isn't it? (to use some examples from other similar and similarly "controversial" stories: in X-Men, was Jean Grey in control - and thus responsible - for her actions as Dark Phoenix? or in Starcraft, was Kerrigan's evil deeds the result of what the Zerg did to her -plus the newly retconned in Dark Voice's corruption- or was it all just her finally having enough power to get revenge upon the world?) For your information, in these particular cases I'm more in favor of the "they were responsible" interpretations, because I find the alternative to be a cop-out for the writers. But my judgement applies to these specific cases, given how they were presented, and it is not a blanket statement that applies to all such stories. Here, for example, I prefer the (partial) involvement of an external agent because if there isn't one Cerise's "redemption" will be heavily "forced" (and I don't want to consider the possibility of a 15-year old being "unredeemable").

In our case, whatever comes next, it will as well be a subject of hot debate.
Just note the following:
- We really don't yet KNOW what's going on exactly. We've got some clues (change of apparent "tone" - and - facial expressions of Cerise in mid-conversation) that allow us to assume some parallels to classic stories (Spiderman's Symbiote, etc.) but we may be way off.
- We still don't know the nature of the black ink (nor of the Corruptor, and how/if they are related), and by "nature" I include origin, power, intent (if any). Again, I tend to assume it actually means the involvement of an external agent, but it could be as little as "symbolism" of Cerise's own -dark- thoughts taking over her, and shutting her kinder feelings away.
- And finally, we're also clueless about how things will turn out back in the "current" timeline, what will Skye do (or be forced to do), what will happen to Cerise's physical body, what will Hekate do/say? etc.
Last edited by CFT on Sat May 11, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My name's Crazy. Craaazy For Tiff of course!!! :x ^:)^ \M/ B-)

THE CORRUPTOR IS UNCHAINED

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Azrael wrote:Well, certainly. However, I was under the impression that Skye was through the door here and face-to-face with The-Entity-Formerly-Known-As-Cerise. But seeing this one I now speculate that she is still in total darkness never mind what we see.
If you look at the "Lots of friends" comic I linked and this one, you will see the events are happening exactly as before, just that we are now seeing it from Cerise's side. In none of the panels is Skye already through the door. Just look at the other comic, compare speech bubbles and the placement of Skye's hands. Cerise is still seeing her through the "dimensional window". The only thing which seems to be different is Skye's expressions, which look much more menacing now, but I think Cerise's vision is warped.

Cerise sees Skye.

Skye does not see Cerise, just the door with blackness inside.

And, as I stated above, she will likely never see Cerise like this, but just step through the door into Cerise's room where Cerise is hovering in the air, dying, while Hekate looks on.
CFT wrote:- We still don't know the nature of the black ink
................ Phyrexia!!! X_X

ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Shaows

Post by Shaows »

I think "Wild" Skye is actually "Mr. Inky" Cerise possessing Skye's body in order to hit on herself in the past.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Man, she's taking that lesbian thing far too far, then. :P
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

thebitterfig

Post by thebitterfig »

Artemisia wrote:I hate predestination paradoxes.
A SFW Oglaf is apropos.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)

CFT

Post by CFT »

@Don: again I totally agree with everything in your post (lol, and wait until we'll just be proved wrong with the next update!), except one small thing: you say about Skye's "menacing" expressions. What panel are your referring to? Because the only menacing expression Skye is in the 5th panel and that's because it's only a depiction of Cerise "remembering" DarkSkye there, not what corridorSkye looks like.

Phyrexia indeed! Don't tell me you're a Magic: The Gathering player! (I used to be for over a decade, but I've quit now)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Yes, I know it's a memory. In the other comic I linked, we see the sequence as it really was. I'm not sure it's an imprint of "Dark Skye" upon the memory, or if Cerise is generally starting to corrupt everything (or have it corrupted) in her head. Yeah, ok, I kind of had the last panel wrong in my head, strike the "Cerise's vision is warped" comment.

And if you were to look into the "Gamer's Lounge" thread over in General Discussion, you'd see I produce a terrible amount of text about MtG. I'm mostly a collector right now, but actively play sealed tournaments. I had a long pause but was first active 1995 - 1998, and now 2011 - today.
ImageImage

TBeholder
BANNED

Post by TBeholder »

I think it's even simpler: Cerise remembers Skye in variety of clothes. :))
Bloody Vikings wrote:
TBeholder wrote:"jowl-at-the-Moon" Skye
She has a little more curve than Cerise, but I wouldn't consider her fat.
Ouch-kay, one "gotcha" point to you. =))
Shaows wrote:I think "Wild" Skye is actually "Mr. Inky" Cerise possessing Skye's body in order to hit on herself in the past.
Ladies, gentlemen and fellow arthropoda! I think we can safely say that the wildest speculation in this thread was already done and there's no point to try and outdo it. =))
CFT wrote: you say about Skye's "menacing" expressions. What panel are your referring to? Because the only menacing expression Skye is in the 5th panel and that's because it's only a depiction of Cerise "remembering" DarkSkye there
Skye's wildly grinning face on the right, that got into the thumbnail? To me, still looks adorable - in much the same way Tiffany's craziest expressions are.
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
We also crave the need to speculate... -Ed Greenwood

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Why do folks assume this is a case of symbiosis? It's isn't.

For it to be that way, the black magic that Hekate presented to Cerise would have to have a conscious of it's own - which it doesn't. All it is is raw magic/power that was not meant for the human world and could not be possessed by a mortal unless they could properly channel it.

Cerise isn't possessed by another entity; her mind is being corrupted by the dark magic she ingested. Now, when Cerise uses Skye as her familiar/channel, that will be a form of symbiosis (as Cerise is consciously infecting Skye with this dark power, thus forcing her to change into something else).
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Mr. Bee

Post by Mr. Bee »

I'm still not sure on how to read Cerise here. On one hand she could be turning wicked and evil and manipulative, but on the other hand, she might just be getting desperate and needing to hurry things up since the corruption keeps spreading and changing her.

Luzahn

Post by Luzahn »

Ok, I take it back Artemis. I take it back forever.

Go hunt some witches, cryptids, xenos, what have you. Just stop things like this. :p

CFT

Post by CFT »

@Fluffly: I don't think we're arguing for symbiosis in the literal sense of the word, more like an "external corruption of the mind" (we just used the example/analogy of how Spiderman was "corrupted" and had a personality change because of an alien entity messing with his brain and body).

Now, that speculation (that there is an "external"/independent source of corruption and it's not all "Cerise drank in power" doing it) can be way wrong and Fluffy can be 100% right, but it is a speculation not totally unfounded either. For me personally, there are three things that point towards that theory:
- I interpret Melissa's "prophecy" at the pool party quite literally (straightforwardly, no "twisted" meanings), which means that: two seperate "beings" exist, one is the Corruptor, he is male (..."his" agent...) and not present at the pool party, but the girls must beware of him, the second being is the Corruptor's Agent, who IS present at the pool party (my interpretation of the adjective "near") and we don't know his/her gender yet. It's also natural to assume that the Agent is one of the named characters that were actively shown to be at the pool party (no Skye included for example), and thus the best explanation (which can be wrong of course) is that Cerise is the Agent and there is a Seperate Being who is the Corruptor.
- I don't think the black magic that Hekate gave her was conscious on its own either, because Hekate never even hinted to anything like that. But wait, she also never hinted that the black magic could have potential time-traveling abilities either, so where does the time travel come from? As we said again, It CAN be a side-effect of just too much power (a lot of power could mean control over time as well in this universe), it CAN be some inherent ability of Cerise that was awakened by her power surge, but it can ALSO mean that there is a time-travelling-capable being (or one that exists outside of time itself) "hijacking" on Hekate's power for its own purposes. It's only a hint, but it is as viable an assumption as any other at this stage yet.
- In this update we visually see Cerise being "taken over" by something. Again, it CAN be a visual symbolism of her darker thoughts and ambitions taking over her more kind self, but it DOES seem like something is physically taking her over (like Spiderman's Symbiote, the Phyrexian oil corruption, Blue Beetle being taken over by his Scarab, and many other examples in fiction), as her expressions change from sadness and care for Skye (in the previous update) to ones of confusion ("what's happening to me?") and finally manically evil-looking at the end, which seems quite weird if it's only "her mind being corrupted by the dark magic she ingested", a dark magic we all agree "doesn't have a conscious of it's own", instead of her mind being corrupted by something else that DOES have a conscious mind. and a plan/goal.

To summarize:
- Mel's pool party-prophecy seems to indicate the existence of a (male) Corruptor Being (that is different from Cerise)
- Time traveling still needs to be "explained"/attributed to someone/something that can do that.
- Visual clues in the latest updates indicate a potential hostile takeover of Cerise

For the above, I still side in favor of a theory that we haven't yet been fully introduced to the true villain orchestrating everything going on in the current arc and that not everything is done by various aspects of Cerise. Can I be wrong? Of course, a million times. But I believe I demonstrated I do have legitimate reasons to consider that possible.