Eerie Cuties in Spanish.

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Ten

Eerie Cuties in Spanish.

Post by Ten »

Here's something I found in an ad while doing an image search for Q-bee. It's Eerie cuties in Spanish. Only up to near the end of chapter 6 though.
http://subcultura.es/webcomic/eerie_cuties/1
tocado.jpg
tocado.jpg (46.65 KiB) Viewed 3680 times
Favorite one so far
http://subcultura.es/webcomic/eerie_cuties/31
Nina says lice instead of cooties...
Last edited by Ten on Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I banged your mom.

Bear
BANNED

Re: Eerie Cuties in Spanish.

Post by Bear »

Its also availible in French and Hungarian. There are flag link buttons to the other language pages under the comic, just above the news section of the main page.

Ten

Post by Ten »

Okay... apparently I can't see tiny little flags...
I banged your mom.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

nobodies really going to notice those >>
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Cassius_Draken

Post by Cassius_Draken »

Teacher wrote: Also, I am not very happy with the Spanish used for the translation. I think it's way too "Spain Spanish" instead of a more neutral version.
It´s a spanish traduction for spanish readers, so they use what you call "spain spanish" because is what the spanish readers want...

albert.aribaud

Post by albert.aribaud »

Teacher wrote:@Ten: As far as I know, we don't have a Spanish equivalent for "cooties", though I don't think the word they used would be appropriate either. I would prefer to go with the Spanish for "fleas", which would make more sense.
Had the same problem for the French translation, and went the same 'fleas' route with Giz' assent ... Cooties is really a cultural specific, and we simply don't have the equivalent -- which makes me think I should start a page on the French site to collect all those cultural gaps I met in EC.
Albert -- would you like to read EC, MC, and DC at least one week late and in French?

JoseB

Post by JoseB »

Teacher wrote:@Ten: As far as I know, we don't have a Spanish equivalent for "cooties", though I don't think the word they used would be appropriate either. I would prefer to go with the Spanish for "fleas", which would make more sense.

Also, I am not very happy with the Spanish used for the translation. I think it's way too "Spain Spanish" instead of a more neutral version.
On the other hand, I have found out that the Spanish translation of "cooties" for "piojos" (lice) corresponds EXACTLY with the origin of the word "cooties", in the first place.

The word "cooties" came into use during World War I, as a name for the parasites that soldiers very easily caught in the trenches, especially body lice. Quoting from Wikipedia (I know, I know... but this corresponds well with what I know from other sources):

<<Lieut. Pat O'Brien's 1918 memoir Outwitting the Hun: My Escape from a German Prison Camp refers to "cooties," meaning body lice, which in his case had been caught in the prison camp in Courtrai. Lice were of course rife in the trenches on both sides of the conflict, and highly contagious.>>

<<The lice of the First World War trenches nicknamed "cooties" were also known as "arithmetic bugs," because, "they added to our troubles, subtracted from our pleasures, divided our attention, and multiplied like hell.">>

Body lice are the vector that transmits epidemic typhus, among other rather nasty diseases ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_lice ).

From "The Straight Dope": http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... rd-cooties

From "World Wide Words": http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-coo2.htm (it also says that the first mention in print of the word "cooties" dates to 1917).

Those links all mention that the original meaning of "cooties" was body lice.

I imagine that the translator into Spanish checked the meaning of "cooties" and used it for what its original meaning was :) In fact, FWIW, here is the entry for "cooties" in a popular English-Spanish dictionary:

cootie
s. piojo (Fam.)

So, I would say that it is not at all surprising that the translators into Spanish ended up using the word "piojos" ("lice") to translate "cooties".

Re: the type of Spanish used in the translation -- What Cassius_Draken said. In fact, they don't even use "standard Spain Spanish" ... I can identify the dialect used in the translation as the one typical of the centre-north of the country; some of the grammatical structures used, as well as some of the words, are most definitely dialectal and sound weird to me (I am from Spain, btw).

Just my 2 eurocent!
*discordant chord*
NOBODY expects the SPANISH INQUISITION!!!!