EC/MC/DC General Discussion

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Storm-forge mystique

Re: EC/MC/DC General Discussion

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

Melissa's mothers seem to be more relevant to the plot than Maria is, though. (To the extent EC even has a plot.)

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@Storm-forge mystique: Maria might, if she happens to be Queen Lamia.

Anyway, I had a fun thought pop into my head: can you imagine what'd happen if Sandi ever teamed up with Twiggit as her research assistant? Just think of what they could accomplish between, Sandi's data processing abilities and Twiggit's mad genius. It's too bad it'll never happen though. :-?

Schmorgluck

Post by Schmorgluck »

While I'm very curious about the current developments, I'm even more impatient about the bunch of girls who've been teleported away, and how they'll come back. In such a tense context, having not much time to drift into her delusions, Tiff is bound to be downright awesome. Which doesn't exclude her being goofy at the same time.

I MISS MY FIX OF TIFF!
Spidrift wrote:You are the perpetual target of your cat's libido. But quite politely.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Schmorgluck wrote:While I'm very curious about the current developments, I'm even more impatient about the bunch of girls who've been teleported away, and how they'll come back.
tbh, I'm actually hoping we won't see them for awhile yet, because it adds to the tension of the situation, by leaving their fate in question. While I'm sure they'll be fine, it's fun to imagine "what if?" Such as: 'what if all of 'em don't come back, for some reason?'

The other reason I'm hoping they stay out of it, for the time being is, the focus on Sandi and Tandy's involvement, which will (hopefully) lead to character development for them. Or it may offer more insight on their characters. I'm more curious about Sandi, but Tandy's starting to grow on me to, and I'm anxious to see how they're gonna help Mel free Artemis from Cerise's control.

And I'm wondering if we'll see Ash get involved, 'cuz depending on how much time has passed since the student council was sent away, he's bound to start wondering why he hasn't heard from Faith.

Schmorgluck

Post by Schmorgluck »

Yeah, I see what you mean. I've always had a soft spot for Sandi and the more I see of Tandy the more I like her. I've mentioned recently in a comic thread that six girls are MIA, three of which are primary characters (Faith, Jaqui, Tiff), one is a secondary character (Callie) and two are tertiary characters (Amelia and Gabrielle). Until recently Tandy was a tertiary character but the recent developments made her at least a secondary one. Sandi has been a secondary character for a long time, and I'm not sure she'll grow to primary status, but I like to see more her character. For one thing, I like that her powers seem to be anything but combat-oriented. It's a refreshing change compared to the exceeding number of badasses in the setting (although one has to wonder how she fared in the sparring matches, which seem to be mandatory - maybe she was exceptionally dispensed?).

As for Ash getting involved? I think it's unlikely, but I'd like it to happen. I kinda like him, he's smug, kinda sleazy and sneaky, but he has shown to have a chivalrous side. And with not one, but two girls he like being MIA because of Cerise, he'd be pretty motivated to kick some ass.
Spidrift wrote:You are the perpetual target of your cat's libido. But quite politely.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

The Academy accepted Sandi for her non-combat talents; throwing her into mandatory full-contact combat events would just seem pointlessly cruel, though I could imagine the place running some pretty tough Self-Defence For Non-Combatants classes. But perhaps non-combat students get non-combat "sparring"; I could imagine the place having a really terrifying chess club, which falls silent when Sandi walks in the room.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Schmorgluck wrote:Yeah, I see what you mean. I've always had a soft spot for Sandi and the more I see of Tandy the more I like her.
Same here. That's why I was glad for the amount if focus she received in chapter 15, especially since we were allowed to see more of her abilities. I was impressed by her ability to project multiple holo-screens at once, with each displaying different bits of information. That's some serious multi-tasking skills. And now that she's one of the ones chosen to help Mel, I'm hoping to learn a bit more about her character.

Tandy seems to be the resident kuudere, but what's interesting, to me, about her character is her friendship with Gabrielle. They seem to fit the vitriolic best buds trope. I wouldn't be surprised if Tandy hides her relief beneath a mask of indifference, whenever Gabby and the others return. And I won't be surprised if Gabrielle sees right through it. At least, that's the impression I get from them.
Schmorgluck wrote:Sandi has been a secondary character for a long time, and I'm not sure she'll grow to primary status, but I like to see more her character. For one thing, I like that her powers seem to be anything but combat-oriented. It's a refreshing change compared to the exceeding number of badasses in the setting (although one has to wonder how she fared in the sparring matches, which seem to be mandatory - maybe she was exceptionally dispensed?).
I'm curious about that, myself. She has to have some some means of defending herself, in order to take part in the exams. Though I have no idea how she'd manage it. Still, I can see how she might be effective in a team scenario, where she analyzes the enemy while leaving offense to her teammates.
Schmorgluck wrote:As for Ash getting involved? I think it's unlikely, but I'd like it to happen. I kinda like him, he's smug, kinda sleazy and sneaky, but he has shown to have a chivalrous side. And with not one, but two girls he like being MIA because of Cerise, he'd be pretty motivated to kick some ass.
That reminds me... Dusky oughta be wondering why Tiffany hasn't come home yet too.

Schmorgluck

Post by Schmorgluck »

Spidrift wrote:I could imagine the place having a really terrifying chess club, which falls silent when Sandi walks in the room.
Hah, I can totally see it!
Sandi: Oh, hey! Alexander Alekhine tried that move against Max Euwe during their second match in October 1935.

CFT

Post by CFT »

Indeed. Her "information powers" are ideally suited for playing chess (as the computer vs chess master matches proved). If she directed her effort towards that direction she could easily memorize every chess game ever played (and every checss book written) and apply that knowledge to easily predict her opponents' moves even dozens of steps ahead.
My name's Crazy. Craaazy For Tiff of course!!! :x ^:)^ \M/ B-)

THE CORRUPTOR IS UNCHAINED

TBeholder
BANNED

Post by TBeholder »

Spidrift wrote:The Academy accepted Sandi for her non-combat talents; throwing her into mandatory full-contact combat events would just seem pointlessly cruel, though I could imagine the place running some pretty tough Self-Defence For Non-Combatants classes.
There are no "non-combatants". But other than that - probably there is minimal training for magic-users and suchlike.
Spidrift wrote:But perhaps non-combat students get non-combat "sparring"; I could imagine the place having a really terrifying chess club, which falls silent when Sandi walks in the room.
Who? Sandi? This would work smoothly... but only as long as the opponent runs into one of the games she happened to fully memorize. See also: "Maxim 47". /:)
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
We also crave the need to speculate... -Ed Greenwood

Schmorgluck

Post by Schmorgluck »

That's assuming mimicking memorized games is all that Sandi is able to do. And still, memorizing and analysing classic games is indeed part of a chess player's training. At the very least, it helps with pruning the tree of possibles.

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

Given her seeming ability to process information, I would think chess is simple enough for her to just have every board possibility memorized. Now get her to play reversi...
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Even chess generates combinatorial explosions. I really doubt that Sandi has enough neurones in her brain to run through every possible game in the universe.

However, she could have a lot of standard openings memorised, and she's strong on pattern recognition. I imagine she can hit at least Master level without much trouble. How she'd do at Go is another question; computers can't handle that easily, but Sandi's gift may be a little more abstruse than raw computation.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

TBeholder
BANNED

Post by TBeholder »

Well, yes. The openings would be the hard part, Maxim 47 mostly kicking in later.
Schmorgluck wrote:That's assuming mimicking memorized games is all that Sandi is able to do.
Mostly. So far her statements usually were of "humans in average have 1.056 boobs" nature.
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
We also crave the need to speculate... -Ed Greenwood

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Schmorgluck wrote:
Gotoh wrote:In hindsight, that makes Faith f***ing scary, 'cuz she laughed off what was meant to be a OHKO (from Mel) twice. :|
Yeah, but in those cases, it was just the magic blast. In this case, Mel hit Tandy with a combination of magic and a vigorous slap backed by the muscles thoroughly trained by Tiffany Winters herself. So while I agree Faith having defenses played a role, it's not completely comparable.
I doubt it would've made much of a difference, considering Tiffany doubted her own chances against Faith, even when she had the power of the school backing her to enhance her strength. Which is why Tiff was visibly relieved when the fight got called off.