Magick Chicks 27-03-12 Enjoying the perks

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Re: Magick Chicks 20-03-27 Enjoying the perks

Post by Artemisia »

Wait- you mean the year isn't 2020?
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Thor wrote:Premature crickets, Don?
How I have been betrayed by the legions of crickets!! *shakes fist at*

@cricket-Arti: No, no, it's 2027!!!
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Re: Magick Chicks 27-03-12 Enjoying the perks

Post by Artemisia »

Wait. . .ok. . .you know, I know being an entity that lives outside of normal space/time has its perks, but somehow not being fully attached to a singular time/place does have its disadvantages.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

uh-uh sweety, spoilers. ;;)
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.
And to keep for future reference: Image

Marzipple

Post by Marzipple »

I think this shows that Faith genuinely doesn't understand what she is doing to people. She simply considers what she is doing as freedom of expression and love, and doesn't mind admitting that she loves all the attention. However, it doesn't seem like she understands how her mind juice and power can affect people. Yes, Faith protects people and should earn some respect, but that doesn't mean she isn't a manipulative jerk, which is what Tiff seems to be trying to get at but isn't completely understanding herself because Faith sort of focused the conversation onto sex. Until Faith ever actually stops abusing her position of power I honestly don't think she'd ever get into Tiff's pants--at least I personally hope not. (I think Layla is more deserving of that honor)

The Nick
<3 <3 Most Loved <3 <3

Post by The Nick »

Actually, this whole conversation is very revealing about Faith. Let's talk about two lines in particular.

"Abusing your power comes so naturally to you, doesn't it?"
Look at Faith's response - she responds to this accusation about abusing her power as just 'enjoying the perks' she's now sharing with Tiffy due to Faith's position as class president. From Faith's perspective, she's defending herself from accusations of abusing her authority from a morally righteous Tiffany and reacts hurtly. "I can't help being popular!" suggests she doesn't think she has a choice in how things play out with everybody 'loving' her, but also reinforces that she's approaching the conversation solely from a mundane perspective of the popular girl in power sharing her perks with a friend.

"But how much of that's your mind-juice? Do you even know?" It's only when Tiffany puts her words to thoughts - a clever trick, since it directly proves that Faith is listening to those thoughts - and redefines what she meant by power (that is, mental power as opposed to mundane authority) does Faith loses the adorable hurt look and clam up. That's worthwhile to consider.

Faith sees Tiffany as an equal to her. It's probably worth pointing out that this isn't some condescending power trip on Faith's part. She really is a cut above the rest. Whether it's because of a mutual respect to a peer or just because Tiffany is resistant to Faith's 'juices,' Faith has to rely on other means of obtaining her approval. Taking care of her, feeding her, spa-day... these are all legitimate tactics. That look of hurt is real enough.

The important thing to take from this is Faith's perspective on what being her peer means. Whether because she's a conscious manipulator or she just "luckily" discovers everybody around her loving her, Faith obviously thinks people in her bracket, the magical 1% if-you-will, have the perk of being able to kiss up on everyone. But get rid of the possibility that Faith is teasing or poking fun at Tiffany and consider what she's really saying.

One, she thinks the whole Masked Hero' routine was a ploy to pick up girls. Two, she's honestly amazed Tiffy is a virgin.

Faith sees Tiffany as an equal or a rival and automatically concludes that Tiffany's motivations and 'hobbies' are just like her own.

"Sometimes [Layla] is a bit discourteous."-David Johnston
"The usual incentive for peace is to not be at war."-Thor
"that's actually one of thor's lines you've got in your signature there, not one of mine." -J (usually more invisible)
"Somebody just stake me now" -TJgalon
"I can masturbate without guilt now." -Panchocheesecake
"More Nick-sarcasm is always appreciated. Hail Beret Cat!" -Don Alexander
"...get that girl's panties off of her as soon as possible, and then see what effect that has on her personality." -kitsune9tails (out of context)
"special flowers" -Thor
"Doggy style." -Milnoc
"Wanted: ...berets on cats..." -The Nick

TazTheTerrible

Post by TazTheTerrible »

Wasn't it established previously that Faith can't read minds? On multiple occasions?

Personally I think the most likely answer is that Faith projects a sort of subconscious glamour/telepathic effect, which only reinforces her natural alpha-status.

That's probable, but most possibilities are open since we've seen pretty much nothing in the way of definitive evidence of any sort on the matter.

The Nick
<3 <3 Most Loved <3 <3

Post by The Nick »

It was.

But it seems Tiffany's thoughts are directly being responded to.

Although it's possible Tiffany is just being quiet and Faith starts to ramble.
"that's actually one of thor's lines you've got in your signature there, not one of mine." -J (usually more invisible)
"...get that girl's panties off of her as soon as possible, and then see what effect that has on her personality." -kitsune9tails (out of context)
"special flowers" -Thor
"Doggy style." -Milnoc

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Well, you know, not all of us have to read minds to know what people are thinking.

The Nick
<3 <3 Most Loved <3 <3

Post by The Nick »

True. Either way, whether Faith 'hears' Tiffy's thoughts or not, the important point I thought was worth writing down still remains - Faith sees Tiffany as an equal or a rival and automatically concludes that Tiffany's motivations and 'hobbies' are just like her own.
"special flowers" -Thor
"Doggy style." -Milnoc

Gil Hamilton

Post by Gil Hamilton »

TazTheTerrible wrote:Wasn't it established previously that Faith can't read minds? On multiple occasions?

Personally I think the most likely answer is that Faith projects a sort of subconscious glamour/telepathic effect, which only reinforces her natural alpha-status.

That's probable, but most possibilities are open since we've seen pretty much nothing in the way of definitive evidence of any sort on the matter.
http://www.magickchicks.com/strips-mc/a ... _the_world
http://www.magickchicks.com/strips-mc/nothing_is_forced

Faith is clearly reading Melissa's mind in this. She has to be, all this is supposed to be happening in Mel's head and they are clearly interacting. When the girl with the cat shows up and kicks Faith out, she even comments that a rogue memory shouldn't have booted her. If she couldn't read Mel's mind, then she wouldn't have to worry about memories at all.

The alternative is that Faith was FORCING Melissa to experience all that stuff such that actually reading Melissa's mind wasn't necessary, but that doesn't explain the little girl or Faith's comment about rogue memories.

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Post by Ravenhull »

I think the difference is that was a mental environment. She might be able to create fantasy worlds and effectively dominate others, and still not be able to 'read' actual thoughts and memories.
"Don't call me a dirty old man.... Cuz I'm not old... I'm of a fine vintage..."
"Get your mind out the gutter... you're crowding me."

Mint-Pie

Post by Mint-Pie »

Using "slut-shaming" outside of a sarcastic context?

Yeah, Faith is my least favorite character. In all the Giz-verse.

Gil Hamilton

Post by Gil Hamilton »

How can Faith create a fantasy world in Melissa's noggin and interact with her there if Faith is only "write only" when it comes to brains? She was clearly interacting with Melissa and apparently rogue memories are something that can be encountered, so it's reasonable to assume that this is going on in Melissa's head. If Faith couldn't access Melissa's brains, why would a rogue memory occur to her at all as to why she got booted?

sylentknight

Post by sylentknight »

Okay, I'll say it...

In the same way that Layla (and now Chloe) could be considered Tiffany and Faith's, alpha-female counter-parts...

(Layla and Tiff; primarily physical. Chloe and Faith; wide-range of magical/esper abilities)

Could Ace be the alpha-male equivalent to Ash? Being a Werewolf at the beginning of his prime has got to carry some serious mo-jo.

(Yeah, I miss Ace, and while I expect a slightly more mature Nina will eventually lay claim to his hide, I don't want to think that he's wondering around waiting for Brooke. Between EC and MC, I'm sure that there are a lot of girls who would like to spend time with him.) :-bd
I do so relish these times of peril.
- Sheen from Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius