11-01-12 Is Blair the key

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

milk experiment

Re: 11-01-12 Is Blair the key

Post by milk experiment »

showler wrote:The original spell that turned the guys into girls was designed to make them brainless bimbos. Is it possible that effect is working on Kade?
Kade never struck me as being all that bright to begin with. Could be he's just dim in new ways?

sylentknight

Post by sylentknight »

I agree with the idea of Layla as a male vampire for a while could be interesting. That was where I was going in my original post. It would provide an opportunity to discuss the difficulties in being a teenage boy in the same way being a teenage girl was touched upon with Ace. And once Kade changes back into a boy, we may find his character questioning why it was so easy to transition. Something we wouldn't normally expect but a pleasant change if they are going to strengthen and add to the list of male characters.
Also, do we have any final determinations on Brooke's sexual orientation? I feel the whole thing has been side-stepped at the moment.

(Yeah, I forgot about the whole "tongue thing" with Nina and Kade earlier.)
I do so relish these times of peril.
- Sheen from Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius

Gil Hamilton

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Yeah, but I think they need to stop doing gender bender hijinks and resolve the problem alright. The strip has been barking up this particular tree for a while. It's time for it to lift its leg, do its business, and move on. Despite the fact that Ranma is in the strip, this isn't formally a gender bender comic, after all.

EDIT:
That Ace and Kade touched after Blair loosened the curse, but before they kissed and transferred the curse means Twigett is wrong. However, I think that the comic is going to file a Form 3a "Rule of Funny" clause (subsection C, ii) on it, where the only actions that count are the ones that are the ones with comedic timing. Either that or Kade has tweaked his stats sheet such that minor molestation while flirting counts as a Free Action.

Aquila89

Post by Aquila89 »

You said it! I didn't even really like Ace staying a girl (though mainly because I was afraid that it'll be permanent).

Lighthawk
Killer GM

Post by Lighthawk »

Gil Hamilton wrote:That Ace and Kade touched after Blair loosened the curse, but before they kissed and transferred the curse means Twigett is wrong.
Not necessarily, what makes us so certain the transfer is an immediate thing upon contact? Maybe the kiss was just a matter of timing.

This has too much of a feel of the author's trying to provide info for the readers for me to dismiss it outright as Twigett being wrong.
Holder of the Elder Scepter of Ebilnes, Elected Supreme Ruler
"Who are you? I mean, you're me, but I'm me too. How can there be two 'me's? It's not scientifically possible. You are not scientifically possible!" -Twilight Sparkle, to her future self.
Yira wrote:Whatever, labels are stupid. ...Unless it's a label gun, then we're talking tons of fun. "Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! ...This is an awesome bar stool, but you can have it."

Count de Money

Post by Count de Money »

Prof. Twigitt cracks the case, but Blair flies the coop. Since Kadie-kins currently has the curse, I don't believe she could pass it on without a touch from Blair -- unless Blair touched Kadie-kins while getting untied. Wow. Interesting.

It's still funny Twigitt thinks the solution is to simply pass the curse along, conveniently smoothing over the fact that someone is going to end up cursed to be the opposite gender.

One question: Why does Kadie-kins call Blair him in the last panel? From all other indications, Kadie-kins doesn't know Blair's background, and Blair appears to be a female doll -- unless Blair has a male voice. In my head, I've always associated Blair with a spooky, ghostly female voice. Maybe Giz or Dave can give a clarification on this?

EDIT: Every time someone misspells Prof. Twigitt's name, I get a quarter. I'll be rich! :ymdevil:
"Tall and dark and really handsome ... the hunk from Oo-Oo-Nima's real dumb ... And when he strolls, each one he strolls by goes, 'BLEAAAAAAH!'"
-- Dot Warner

Gil Hamilton

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Lighthawk wrote:Not necessarily, what makes us so certain the transfer is an immediate thing upon contact? Maybe the kiss was just a matter of timing.

This has too much of a feel of the author's trying to provide info for the readers for me to dismiss it outright as Twigett being wrong.
I like how you snipped out the part of my post where I go on to say that it was probably true under a "Rule of Funny" beat, because the curse swapping happening when they kissed rather than by immediate contact. You know, the very next sentence in a three sentence paragraph. That was awesome, you should run for political office with that sort of information filter.

theodoric476

Post by theodoric476 »

One question: Why does Kadie-kins call Blair him in the last panel? From all other indications, Kadie-kins doesn't know Blair's background, and Blair appears to be a female doll -- unless Blair has a male voice. In my head, I've always associated Blair with a spooky, ghostly female voice. Maybe Giz or Dave can give a clarification on this?
Kade was quite close to Lytla for quite a long time. I would not be surprized that Kide knows all about him.
Birds of a feather flock together,
And so will pigs and swine;
Rats and mice will have their choice,
And so will I have mine. Nursery Rhyme

I may disagree with you but I am pretty sure you are not a NAZI Jon Steward/ The Daily Show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiGmgqW6ES8 State Rep. Maureen Walsh (WA. 16th district. R)

We have no enemies, only opponents Ronald Reagan

What luck that men do not think. Adolf Hitler

Lighthawk
Killer GM

Post by Lighthawk »

Gil Hamilton wrote:I like how you snipped out the part of my post where I go on to say that it was probably true under a "Rule of Funny" beat, because the curse swapping happening when they kissed rather than by immediate contact. You know, the very next sentence in a three sentence paragraph. That was awesome, you should run for political office with that sort of information filter.
Defensive much, or is sarcasm just your standard setting?

My bad, you looked like one more person jumping onto the "Twig is wrong" wagon, and the context of the following omitted sentences didn't really registered with me as a sudden reversal of the opening sentence's claim.
Holder of the Elder Scepter of Ebilnes, Elected Supreme Ruler
"Who are you? I mean, you're me, but I'm me too. How can there be two 'me's? It's not scientifically possible. You are not scientifically possible!" -Twilight Sparkle, to her future self.
Yira wrote:Whatever, labels are stupid. ...Unless it's a label gun, then we're talking tons of fun. "Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! ...This is an awesome bar stool, but you can have it."

Random Wanderer

Post by Random Wanderer »

theodoric476 wrote:
Kade was quite close to Lytla for quite a long time. I would not be surprized that Kide knows all about him.
Quite close to who now?

As for Blair, I've always perceived him as having a male voice.

NekoLLX

Post by NekoLLX »

Remember the Orb was designed to make bimbos, at at it's height even turned the girls Blonde, so if Kade kisses Layra would she turn into a blond boxum bimbo not a boy?

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

Aquila89 wrote:No, not that! Leave Layla alone! Couldn't they just find a permanent solution to the whole gender-switching thing?
At this point, it's become entrenched enough that I'd be shocked if they ever do, totally.
Last edited by Storm-forge mystique on Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

theodoric476

Post by theodoric476 »

I do not believe the Orb was designed to make bimbos. It was Blair who twisted it to create Blair's ideal world... It makes me wonder if it is that wise to use Blair for a catalyst for change. Ace seems to have come through the process with flying colors but the first people who were changed were bamboozled either. Perhaps Kade's personality is not entirely his fault.
Birds of a feather flock together,
And so will pigs and swine;
Rats and mice will have their choice,
And so will I have mine. Nursery Rhyme

I may disagree with you but I am pretty sure you are not a NAZI Jon Steward/ The Daily Show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiGmgqW6ES8 State Rep. Maureen Walsh (WA. 16th district. R)

We have no enemies, only opponents Ronald Reagan

What luck that men do not think. Adolf Hitler

Fionn the Otaku

Post by Fionn the Otaku »

NekoLLX wrote:Remember the Orb was designed to make bimbos, at at it's height even turned the girls Blonde, so if Kade kisses Layra would she turn into a blond boxum bimbo not a boy?
No it wasn't, it turned Nina into a boy and all of the students zapped turned into normal members of the opposet sex until after Blair got it. It only created blond bimbos because Blair made do that.

David Johnston

Post by David Johnston »

Count de Money wrote:Prof. Twigitt cracks the case, but Blair flies the coop. Since Kadie-kins currently has the curse, I don't believe she could pass it on without a touch from Blair -- unless Blair touched Kadie-kins while getting untied. Wow. Interesting.

It's still funny Twigitt thinks the solution is to simply pass the curse along, conveniently smoothing over the fact that someone is going to end up cursed to be the opposite gender.

One question: Why does Kadie-kins call Blair him in the last panel? From all other indications, Kadie-kins doesn't know Blair's background, and Blair appears to be a female doll -- unless Blair has a male voice. In my head, I've always associated Blair with a spooky, ghostly female voice. :
In my head he has the voice of Ed the Sock.