19-10-11 BOYS!

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Aquila89

Re: 19-10-11 BOYS!

Post by Aquila89 »

The reference to lesbians is in Symposium, where Aristophanes mentions "women who are a section of the woman do not care for men, but have female attachments".

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

Gil Hamilton wrote: Well, the title Caesar comes from Augustus Caesar, not Gaius Julius, but yeah, Caesar the Head of State With Official Divine Status, not any individual.
Umm, didn't Augustus get it from Julius who got it from Gaius Julius Caesar? That would mean that as a name it came from Gaius Julius more originally than Augustus. Yes I'm just being as contrary as your post is, since this has nothing to do with the strip unless one of the characters turns out to be the original Caesar. That would actually be an interesting twist, if the title was only passed between a handful of vampires during the time of the Roman Emprie.

Monsieur Delacroix's attitude makes sense to me. He's relieved that he doesn't have to find a girl in one of his friend's families that is also a lesbian to arrange a marriage for Layla B-)
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

Jaerys

Post by Jaerys »

Gil Hamilton wrote:Well, the title Caesar comes from Augustus Caesar, not Gaius Julius, but yeah, Caesar the Head of State With Official Divine Status, not any individual.
That's kind of splitting hairs since Augustus changed his name to Caesar because he was named Julius' successor. Still, you do have a point. Caesar was not a title when Julius was alive, at least to my knowledge.

As far as the comic goes, well, Layla still has the same basic options now as last page. Despite shooting herself in the foot here she probably could still make the lesbian excuse work. Eugene would be skeptical, but Maria seems eager to believe it. I'm not sure why. She could be projecting her experiences with Chloe's mother onto her daughter. She could just be eager to prove how supportive a parent she is. She could even just be offering Layla an easy out that her father was willing to accept. At this point, if she doubles back and claims to be a lesbian I suspect she would have to involve Brooke or Kade in the subterfuge to convince her father.

She could try compromising. Agree to meet Dio but not commit to a long term relationship. At that point it's basically a blind date. It doesn't look like she is going to make that offer though. I'm not sure if Eugene and the Renoirs would agree anyway.

As I mentioned before, I assume the, "I already have a boyfriend!" argument will happen if she continues refusing without using the lesbian excuse. I already joked about the Ace impersonating Kade option so I guess I need to come up with new alternatives. I suppose she could dress Kade as a boy. Even as a guy Kade kind of had that girly pretty boy thing going. Alternatively, she could focus on finding a way to reverse Kade's transformation. Given how she feels about Ace, this would probably amount to trying to reverse the curses transfer so Ace is a girl again. Obviously, the only scientific way to do this is to get Kade to make out with Ace. Okay, probably not.
Last edited by Jaerys on Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

The Nick wrote:
Zennistrad wrote:The fact that an arranged marriage is being played for laughs rather than tragedy really shows what kind of comic this is.
You're saying people from India... think arranged marriage is a tragedy?
actually, i believe that zennistrad was saying that it is a tragedy, and not something to be played for laughs. i was pointing out that a sizable number of people disagree with that.
Yet still, I live...

theodoric476

Post by theodoric476 »

Birds of a feather flock together,
And so will pigs and swine;
Rats and mice will have their choice,
And so will I have mine. Nursery Rhyme

I may disagree with you but I am pretty sure you are not a NAZI Jon Steward/ The Daily Show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiGmgqW6ES8 State Rep. Maureen Walsh (WA. 16th district. R)

We have no enemies, only opponents Ronald Reagan

What luck that men do not think. Adolf Hitler

Random Wanderer

Post by Random Wanderer »

...You kind of broke your second link by including a bunch of junk at the end of it...

I still have a hard time picturing Wildy getting married.

joe england

Post by joe england »

Y'know, there's just something about these characters, the way they behave... it's kind of frustrating, because you get the feeling that all these problems could be solved if they just didn't act like dolts. Not regular dolts, mind you, but the theatrical kind of blockhead one only sees in fiction. Nina, Kade, Chloe, Ace, Tiffany, Melissa and her crew, Brooke, Layla and Nina's parents, almost everyone in fact... it's like the plot only moves forward because the time comes when they each have to be dense enough to create needless dilemmas at key points in the story, so much so that they seem to lack elementary powers of perception and communication. To me, it creates an air of unreality which sometimes hampers my empathy for the cast.

Lighthawk
Killer GM

Post by Lighthawk »

Maybe it's just my own personal experiences with people but...I don't find the way the majority of the characters act and react in the majority of the situations to be exaggerating the needed levels of stupidity. If anything, I find some of them rather more self aware and intelligent than many people I've known personally.

People can, will be, and are often quite dense and/or self-deluded about themselves, the people they hang out with, and their situation in life in general.
Holder of the Elder Scepter of Ebilnes, Elected Supreme Ruler
"Who are you? I mean, you're me, but I'm me too. How can there be two 'me's? It's not scientifically possible. You are not scientifically possible!" -Twilight Sparkle, to her future self.
Yira wrote:Whatever, labels are stupid. ...Unless it's a label gun, then we're talking tons of fun. "Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! ...This is an awesome bar stool, but you can have it."

CardinalX

Post by CardinalX »

And then the arranged fiancée turns out to have been struck with a curse that causes him to change gender whenever he gets hot with cold water.

Wait...
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

Nope, turns out Dio is a *GASP* Werewolf!!
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.
And to keep for future reference: Image

MonCappy

Post by MonCappy »

Raamyah wrote:
saikoh wrote:Holy Vampire, Batman! Layla's mom is so hot in these panels :B UMF.
Yes, a blatant attempt to get more readers for Roomie...
You're too late with that one . I became a reader after Artemisia plugged the comment.

I also think Layla's mother looks especially hot. Then again, she always is. I didn't even know there was a pin up card involving her with the new printed volume. I'll definitely have to pick it up now.
Early to rise and early to bed makes a man healthy and wealthy but socially dead.
http://moncappys.minitroopers.com

emo samurai

Post by emo samurai »

It's obvious that Mom and Dad had this planned out from the start. Mom and Dad are both made to seem tolerant and obliging, and Layla's too flustered to say anything.

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

Wait... are you suggesting they're blackmailing her into being a lesbian? What, were they bribed by Carmilla?

Random Wanderer

Post by Random Wanderer »

No, I belive emo samurai was saying they've tricked Layla into this strenuous denial, so that she can't effectively argue against the arranged marriage idea.

Hurbster

Post by Hurbster »

So they are tolerant and obliging and still support an arranged marriage ?
"We're only immortal for a limited time. " - Dreamline.