Magick Chicks 06-09-11 Nothing is forced

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

SilentChaos87

Re: Magick Chicks 06-09-11 Nothing is forced

Post by SilentChaos87 »

I feel your pain Yira. If I had a nickel for every time I've lamented the two day a week update MC has I'd have a few bucks to spend, that's for sure.
Tropemaster General
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward, Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition.
As a gamer I acknowledge and respect those who play for fun. So long as they acknowledge and respect that I also play to win.

Searcher
Skipper of the S.S.Shipper

Post by Searcher »

Ravenhull wrote:Just remember, that little girl was in Mel's dream before Mel ran into her in the exact same scenario. There is a lot more to her than just a memory, me thinks.

And this does show a strong part of Faith's dark nature. "Nothing is forced" alright... Just severely manipulated to subvert one's will.
One of the 1st theories about this strip was Mel and co were sent to AA for more then just punishment, maybe it's that creep principle giving Mel a hand so to speak.
"Vegetarian: an old Iroquois word for Bad Hunter." Stolen from Azrael
“My books are like water, those of the great geniuses are wine. (Fortunately) everybody drinks water.” ~Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Robin Williams, a man who used his natural talents to make people smile, to laugh, to spread joy, to let everyone else feel alive; so no one else ever had to suffer as much as he has.

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Post by Ravenhull »

I'm beginning to think that Cerise's 'fall' is about to begin a lot sooner and more subtle than many expected. After this, she's going to be hearing, "Yeah Cerise defeated Skye... but Mel resisted Faith!" And at the pool party, I don't think Faith is even going to pay attention to her, "whatever Darkshade...", being more preoccupied about what just happened here. :-?

Edit to add: Hmmmm... I just noticed that the little girl is standing on the water...
Last edited by Ravenhull on Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't call me a dirty old man.... Cuz I'm not old... I'm of a fine vintage..."
"Get your mind out the gutter... you're crowding me."

Turboneger

Post by Turboneger »

Count de Money wrote:Wow. The last two panels are so shonen. Ichigo Kurosaki would applaud that action. Never give in. Never, never, never!
Hehe, pretty much.

I still think Mel will lose, but in a way that really raises her respect within the school "cue a No one has ever pushed me this far line from Faith"

Random Wanderer

Post by Random Wanderer »

Ravenhull wrote:And this does show a strong part of Faith's dark nature. "Nothing is forced" alright... Just severely manipulated to subvert one's will.
"Inhibitions don't exist in dreams." I mentioned this in the last thread, before everyone (including me) got sidetracked onto the "is Faith an evil mind-controlling psychic monster?" discussion. It is the greatest danger of this sort of scenario: self control is a conscious decision. In dreams people can do a whole ton of things they would never choose to do in real life. Mel was as defenseless there as if Faith had gotten her totally drunk (or drugged her) and dragged her back home to have sex with. The effect is essentially the same. It is very unethical, at the least.

Now that girl... that is suspicious. A single dream of her and one random encounter on the street should not have left such an impression as to be able to show up there. That paradise was obviously a Faith-made dream, and a normal memory-fragment from Mel's mind should not have been able to manifest like that. Or so I would think, anyway. It certainly seems too strange to be a coincidence.

Anyway, go Mel! I have to love a character who can keep fighting through sheer stubborn willpower. I still don't think she can win, but getting in another move like this makes me more inclined to think that it may turn out to be a draw. Amusingly, had Faith gone for a pure physical beat-down rather than first trying to show her dominance with the pinky-hold and then trying to seduce Mel, she might have won more handily. As it is, her choice not to take Mel seriously may end up turning around and biting her. Those with the intelligence to recognize what's been going on will be able to respect Mel for fighting well enough to get this far. Even if she loses, her reputation in the school might still improve.
Last edited by Random Wanderer on Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

MonCappy

Post by MonCappy »

Ravenhull wrote:I'm beginning to think that the little girl is a lot more than she appears. That may well be some kind of spirit guide. A cross between Luna and Jimminy Cricket. Her appearances in the first couple of pages and now suddenly here.

I'm thinking again that Mel might be becoming a good girl... Whether she likes it or not... ;)
I dunno about that. You could be right that she is some sort of spirit guide, but at the moment, I am not going to jump to that conclusion.
Early to rise and early to bed makes a man healthy and wealthy but socially dead.
http://moncappys.minitroopers.com

Searcher
Skipper of the S.S.Shipper

Post by Searcher »

And the little girl appearance is confusing the heck out of the Evil One ...
"Vegetarian: an old Iroquois word for Bad Hunter." Stolen from Azrael
“My books are like water, those of the great geniuses are wine. (Fortunately) everybody drinks water.” ~Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Robin Williams, a man who used his natural talents to make people smile, to laugh, to spread joy, to let everyone else feel alive; so no one else ever had to suffer as much as he has.

MonCappy

Post by MonCappy »

Ravenhull wrote:I'm beginning to think that Cerise's 'fall' is about to begin a lot sooner and more subtle than many expected. After this, she's going to be hearing, "Yeah Cerise defeated Skye... but Mel resisted Faith!" And at the pool party, I don't think Faith is even going to pay attention to her, "whatever Darkshade...", being more preoccupied about what just happened here. :-?

Edit to add: Hmmmm... I just noticed that the little girl is standing on the water...
Maybe she spent some time in Konoha learning water walking?

I do think Cerise being upstaged by Melissa will not sit well with her considering her ambitions to rule their little coven. I also think you're right about Faith. The more Melissa is able to resist, the more appealing she'll be to Faith. Faith does seem to like the difficult conquests most of all. I still think her motivation behind her actions is libidinous in nature.
Early to rise and early to bed makes a man healthy and wealthy but socially dead.
http://moncappys.minitroopers.com

sun tzu

Post by sun tzu »

Intriguing. Speculation-worthy, but too little information for anything conclusive.
As for the fight, I suspect Mel is still going to lose. To be honest, though, I can't really root for her - Faith is a total sleaze, but Mel isn't exactly miss nice gal. (Yet?)

SAGG

Post by SAGG »

Yep. Can I call them, or what? :D Mel has a chance. A small chance, but a chance nevertheless. Sometimes all one needs is a small opening... ;)

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Post by Ravenhull »

As for the duel, I'm expecting "Hellrune has ceded the field to Abbot" be spoken by the professor Friday.
"Don't call me a dirty old man.... Cuz I'm not old... I'm of a fine vintage..."
"Get your mind out the gutter... you're crowding me."

Raamyah
Creator of small worlds

Post by Raamyah »

Yes! Go, Melissa!

But I do want to say that panel 2 is still catching most of my attention. I'd love to see it with panel one and the text removed, colored, and made into a desktop picture. :x
"There are four pillars of existence that support the very foundations of the universe: the speed of light in a vacuum, the Planck constant, Newtonian gravity, and the all-encompassing awesomeness of breasts." - Pauli Polsuo

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid." - Anonymous

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

...That DOES sound nice. :-bd
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

See...if Melissa can beat Faith...I think Faith is going to become obsessed with Melissa because she's unobtainable.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

The Nick
<3 <3 Most Loved <3 <3

Post by The Nick »

Random Wanderer wrote:
Ravenhull wrote:And this does show a strong part of Faith's dark nature. "Nothing is forced" alright... Just severely manipulated to subvert one's will.
"Inhibitions don't exist in dreams." I mentioned this in the last thread, before everyone (including me) got sidetracked onto the "is Faith an evil mind-controlling psychic monster?" discussion. It is the greatest danger of this sort of scenario: self control is a conscious decision. In dreams people can do a whole ton of things they would never choose to do in real life. Mel was as defenseless there as if Faith had gotten her totally drunk (or drugged her) and dragged her back home to have sex with. The effect is essentially the same. It is very unethical, at the least.
It's just a dream. So Faith's good at reading people and only chases after the ones who are already predisposed to liking her (or, "could you even say, loving her?")

Theoretically, Melissa could drop a bomb on Faith. Or turn into a maid. Or strip and jump into the water with her. Or fly away. Dreams are crazy like that.

EDIT: Oh hey, it's a M.M.A.V.* smoke bomb!

* - Mysterious Masked Academy Avenger
"Sometimes [Layla] is a bit discourteous."-David Johnston
"The usual incentive for peace is to not be at war."-Thor
"that's actually one of thor's lines you've got in your signature there, not one of mine." -J (usually more invisible)
"Somebody just stake me now" -TJgalon
"I can masturbate without guilt now." -Panchocheesecake
"More Nick-sarcasm is always appreciated. Hail Beret Cat!" -Don Alexander
"...get that girl's panties off of her as soon as possible, and then see what effect that has on her personality." -kitsune9tails (out of context)
"special flowers" -Thor
"Doggy style." -Milnoc
"Wanted: ...berets on cats..." -The Nick